Do I have grounds to get my ticket thrown out for this disclosure mistake?

Thread: Do I have grounds to get my ticket thrown out for this disclosure mistake?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Do I have grounds to get my ticket thrown out for this disclosure mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Just like some people think all sport bikes are "ninjas" maybe there are people that think all fancy smart phones are "blackberries"

If i was a judge and you came to me splitting hairs like that, I'd laugh at you.
    The same way that all facial tissue is Kleenex and all ASA is Aspirin.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I would give it a try. Worse outcome is you have to pay the $155. Best case it gets dismissed.

If the cop testifys that you had a BB and you can prove you did not then it might cast enough doubt that the judge will side with you, or at least get the cop a talking to about taking accurate notes which is the important part.
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.

i had a cop yell at me once, before the law came into effect, about me talking on my cel phone...the only problem was, that i was not talking on my cel phone. i was driving in slow traffic, he was a few cars ahead in the left lane while i was in the right lane, i was propping my head up with my hand as my elbow was resting on the sill...so it looked like, from a distance, that i could be talking on a cel phone...needless to say, we have a yelling match, which ended up with me ripping the hands free bluetooth mirror off the mount to wave at him...stupid police, fight the ticket, they are mostly retarded...this cops attitude sucked, he just flat out started yelling at me, not a good way to start a conversation with the public...the fact that you were operating a handheld device while driving won't be an easy defence, even if he says blackberry a bunch of times, but hey, let your lawyer sort that out...i'm no professional...

I can see the points here about the judge thinking its a minor detail, but I will proceed with trial and like freestyle said, will get him to to see that his testimony cannot be trusted based on his false accusation of me using a blackberry. Like I said worst case I still pay the $155.
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Currently riding my 2003 R1

You haven't got a hope in hell that the JP will think the cop's notes are "false statements".

As noted by others, Blackberry is to smart phones as Coke is to pop. His testimony will be that you were talking on a handheld device. His notes are for his reference to assist with his recollection of events. They are not an affidavit. You haven't a chance.

But, go to court, the cop may not show up.

I would just suggest that you raise the issue of the cop's notes more in the manner of "I'm concerned the reference in your notes is to a Blackberry. Could you have been mistaken in your observations?" and not "liar, liar, pants on fire".
    2010 BMW S1000RR

What would have a better shot of getting it dismissed.... me trying to get the officer to show his testimony was not credible, or showing the judge that I have all the handsfree equipment( including car mount for my phone) and that I wasnt in my regular car with the handsfree stuff, so if I could get a reprieve as a first timer for this?
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Currently riding my 2003 R1

You will never get off as "first timer". Typically if you don't get that break at the side of the road it ain't happening in court... you fine might be reduced for a first timer though.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    I can see the points here about the judge thinking its a minor detail, but I will proceed with trial and like freestyle said, will get him to to see that his testimony cannot be trusted based on his false accusation of me using a blackberry. Like I said worst case I still pay the $155.
    + court fees

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    Worst case is you take time off work to go to court, pay for parking, waste a day sitting around waiting for your trial and get convicted. Seeing as you are telling us here that you were using a phone, why would you want to go that route? Generally people who plead not guilty are not guilty.