New Supermoto Club in 2012 - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Supermoto Club in 2012

Re: New Supermoto Club in 2012

I've been thinking about trying supermoto for a while now, but things like buying a home keep on getting in the way, well this year I might have a few extra coins in the piggybank and would like to give it a shot, what I wanted to do is buy an older (99-04) 2 stroke and do the sportsman set up, (that way I could convert it back to dirt easily), I've been doing a little research and it seems that some people dont recomend 2 stroke SM's while others think it works.
    what do you guys think? also what would be a most cost effective way of trying out the sport?

Cheers
    Max
    Its all fun and games untill someone losses an eye!!..........then its a sport!

the most cost effective way, and also the way i got into it, is go to a track day with somebody with a supermoto, split track time, and try it, although i suspect after one day the problem will become can you get your own bike before the next track day so you dont seem like a mooch when you ask if you can come again.

thanks Chadta, this is an option I didn't even consider as I didn't think people would be willing to lend out their bike, but if there is someone who would be willing to split track time with me I wouldn't mind paying for the track day, gas, and lunch.

4 stroke is the way to go.

you don't get the same experience with the 2 stroke, it can be done, but it's not the same.

its also more cost effective to buy a pre-built SM bike and then buy MX wheels for it than it is to convert an existing MX bike to SM

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    4 stroke is the way to go.

you don't get the same experience with the 2 stroke, it can be done, but it's not the same.

its also more cost effective to buy a pre-built SM bike and then buy MX wheels for it than it is to convert an existing MX bike to SM
    what do you mean by not the same experience?

I keep hearing that its more cost effective to buy a pre-built SM bike if you are looking to get competitive, but I figure I could get a 2 stroke 250 for about 2K, plus add another $250 or so for tires, and another $50-$100 for sliders, catch can and such, that's a total of $2350 and I have a sportsman set up ready to go, I couldn't find a pre-built SM for anywhere near that. please correct me if I'm wrong

a 2 stroke rides and performs much different than a 4 stroke.

The experience will be poor because you'll be frustrated by the poor performance of the 2 stroke(kinda like buying an SV650 to do trackdays against your buddies on 600's)

I've found a number of pre-built SM bikes with decent parts for new rides in the $2500-$3000 area over the past couple of years.

I've found a number of pre-built SM bikes with decent parts for new rides in the $2500-$3000 area over the past couple of years.
    where would I find one other than kijjji?

supermotojunkie.com used to be the place to go, then they started charging for ads in the forssale section, not sure where everybody has moved onto, but its still one of the better forums

Add me to the list .. .are we looking for a 250 or 450 for that money?

Add the cost of wheels to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post

you dont know Donny do you ?

id bet that for that 3 grand it was a 450 delivered to his house, he always seems to find smoken deals on stuff.

Ive done both, ive built a bike myself, and purchased a ready made one, hes what i learned.

Build it yourself you spend about 5 grand and get wheels, brakes, and a bike, no suspension mods or engine work or anything.
    Buy it built for the same 5 grand you get a full on race machine, suspension work, engine work, slipper clutch, exhaust, all kidns of stuff.

If i had it to do over again, i would buy pre built, let somebody else do all the work sourcing parts, and putting it together, let them take the depreciation on all the parts, and lose all the value that most people just dont see. At the same time if i was going to sell my bike, i fully expect to be selling it as a dirt bike, and selling all the super moto stuff separate to get the most cash for it.

for anyone interested, I have a pre-built bike available

It's a national championship winning bike, motor just freshened by Condor racing.

Full Ohlins suspension, pretty much the best of everything, with lots of spares for $5k.

I agree with a 4 stroke for SM use. Recip covers it clearly in his simple description.
    I would suggest you figure out what you plan on doing with the bike if you don't like the SM experience (can't see that happening though but just in case) If you plan on using the bike for MX or trails anyway than grab a decent 4 stroke and do the simple switch Jerrett did the video on, once bitten, (yes it may cost a bit more overall), you can then build up your bike when the opportunity presents itself aka-have extra cash to buy upgraded parts. You could have a blast simply running the sportsman set up and not bother with the full on SM kit. Or love it immediately and go full on SM set up - this is where it could get costly.
    Bottom line in my opinion, if starting out and you don't have any equipment whatsoever including a bike, but would use the bike in MX trim, start with a sportsman set up to keep cost down initially. Maybe someone will let you try their bike out at the track to give you a feel for the difference. Gotta agree a bult SM is the way to go if you plan on using it a lot, however if just getting in keep it simple.

P.S. the Supermoto Ontario crew will be at the Supershow this weekend stop by and chat with them.

Pete

You don't need to buy wheels for the sportsman setup.

If you are buying a bike specifically for supermoto a pre built bike is the way to go - most cost effective
    If you want a dirt bike to ride offroad and try some supermoto buy something that is a good deal and set it up sportsman style for supermoto.
    I started on a 2 stroke because I already had one. It was competitive as a beginner but as you progress 4 strokes perform better - more torque, better bottom end power, more engine braking...
    New Supermoto Ontario Club http://www.supermotoontario.com
    My Personal Website http://www.jerrettbellamy.com

Just found this thread, awesome to see all the interest in supermoto for the upcoming season!

This was my first season racing supermoto and it was ALOT of fun. Bang-for-the-buck, there's no other form of racing that comes close. Great group of people involved with the sport too.

I raced this season on my street legal bike (Husky 510) with DOT rubber (Continental Contiforce-SM tires). If you've got a streeted dual-sport or blue-plated dirtbike, throw on some sportsman tires, or get a set of 17's and sticky DOT tires and make it out to the track, I guarantee you'll be hooked!

I'm saving-up for slicks/tire warmers for springtime
    Last edited by sEvOn; 01-05-2012 at 11:08 PM.

IS IT SPRING YET? Can't wait!
    MODE ON

How do you use street rubber on a spoked moto-x rim, just use a tube?

How do you use street rubber on a spoked moto-x rim, just use a tube?
    yes.

Ahh I see, thanks.

Ahh I see, thanks.
    you can also make the spoked, SM wheel tubeless.

This is what I've always done