'99 Rebel won't turn over?

Thread: '99 Rebel won't turn over?

'99 Rebel won't turn over?

Hey all,

About a week ago I noticed a stronger than usual exhaust smell when I was warming up my bike. I chalked it up to the cold weather, but one night while riding home the engine cut out on me. It started back up, but when I would give it gas to get moving it would rev the cut out. I managed to get it moving, got it home and parked it. Now it won't start at all. Any ideas?
    Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.

Re: '99 Rebel won't turn over?

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    Hey all,

About a week ago I noticed a stronger than usual exhaust smell when I was warming up my bike. I chalked it up to the cold weather, but one night while riding home the engine cut out on me. It started back up, but when I would give it gas to get moving it would rev the cut out. I managed to get it moving, got it home and parked it. Now it won't start at all. Any ideas?
    what have you cheeked so far ?

Any other symptoms?

Is the battery fully charged? Does the starter turn?

The battery seems ok, everything lights up fine when I turn it on, and the starter goes, the engine won't seem to turn over. I thought maybe I was low on fuel at first, so I topped it up. Tried both "on" and "reserve" on the petcock, no change. I checked the fuel line for a clog, but it was clear.

I've been able to handle minor repairs/maintenance myself (changed gas tank,break pads, signals. Oil and brake fluid, etc...). This one has me stumped so far. Any ideas would be great, I would prefer to attempt this myself before I break down and take it to a mechanic.
    Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.

You check for SPARK? check condition of plugs...

No, I haven't checked that. I've got to work tonight, but I'll check them out tomorrow. Thanks for the advice, I'll post my findings.

that smell could be that you are running rich, check the air filter, under the left sidecover.

I checked the air filter and the spark plugs, bot seem to be fine. Pulled the plugs out and brushed them, I didn't see too much soot, using the brush didn't really make a difference. Also used a spark plug tester, and it lit up on both sides. Any other ideas?

did you do a comp test since you had plugs out ?

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    I checked the air filter and the spark plugs, bot seem to be fine. Pulled the plugs out and brushed them, I didn't see too much soot, using the brush didn't really make a difference. Also used a spark plug tester, and it lit up on both sides. Any other ideas?
    You also need to see if the spark plugs light from the ignition system. Its great that the plug is good but is it getting power from the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by rich6969 View Post
    did you do a comp test since you had plugs out ?
    I'm not quite sure how to do that, I'll look it up and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by gnatwest View Post
    You also need to see if the spark plugs light from the ignition system. Its great that the plug is good but is it getting power from the bike?
    The device I used bridges the connection between the spark plug and the spark plug cap. It light up when I was trying to start the bike, but it won't turn over

So when you say the bike won't turn over you mean motor doesn't spine when you push the starter ?

Yeah, I can hear the starter going, but Indint think there is any combustion taking place.

That doesn't really answer my question. Either the motor is not moving at all and just maybe a click from the starter or less or it does spine.

You could try the poor mans compression test. Pull the plugs and put your thumb / finger covering the hole. If the compression pushes your figer off the hole you have some compresson but need to test for proper numbers. If no comp and no pressure on the digit then you have a problem in the motor.

Canadian tire has a Comp kit for $55 that has the adapters for the smaller plug holes.

Sorry about that, I guess I didn't understand the question. I'll try that poor mans compression test before I go to Canadian tire to grab the proper one. A buddy of mine is a mechanic and he's coming by tomorrow to take a look, hopefully he can figure it out. Thanks for the help everyone, I'll pot the final solution of we find one.

Take the air filter out and see if it runs good.
    Some air filters can look ok but are actually clogged up with dirt and oil.
    This is more true for Honda filters.
    Just try this.

If you wanna reassure yourself that your motor itself is fine, get a can of starting fluid and try spraying just a little bit (too much = EXPLOSIONS, FIRE, BAD) of it either A) into the back of the carbs of B) if the carbs are off, down the intakes and hitting the starter. If the motor starts and runs for a second or two, then the motor itself is probably fine... in that case, it's down to air, gas and spark.
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.