How realistic is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How realistic is it?

How realistic is it?

Never tracked never raced.
    I'm looking at schools to learn. Fast, Racer5, etc, etc. I notice that with the courses you progress and get your racing license. How realistic is it for someone to finish the course and start racing? Notice I'm not saying winning or top finishes but just to actually get in and be racing? I know at some point you have to jump in with both feet but I'm wondering if more track days should be completed before entering your first race?
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944

Re: How realistic is it?

I did 14 trackdays before I thought I was ready to go racing.

Some people jump in earlier than that. I wanted to be comfortable on the bike at a certain pace before I started racing, not everyone feels the same way.

I think it is prudent to get some seat time at speed on some tracks before you throw yourself into a race situation. It would be safer for you and those you race with/against. Track days are not the same as racing because the competition is much more intense. It's all fun! Enjoy.
    AM #299
    TZ250
    Racing 299 Blog

You're taking a school with instructors who are past or current racers, who are observing you learn and progress on the racetrack, wouldn't they be the best to ask this question?

IMO, If you're naturally quick, comfortable and want to go racing, you should set a date, latch on to a good instructor, do a few trackdays and go racing.

Don't fool yourself, you'll never be fully "ready", at best you'll have the fundamentals down so that you can concentrate on learning the new stuff.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Depends on your skill or comfort.... even in your first race you can finish 1st or be lapped by the leader.

Rider dependent.

I entered my first race (last year) after I think 5 or 6 track days plus my school, in my first season of riding motorcycles. Started last (28th) and finished mid pack, so its not impossible to finish say mid pack in your first race with limited track experience. For your first race your goal probably is just to finish and have fun, not worry about placement. But like others have said, it's pretty much down how you are of a rider. With 28 bikes going into Turn 1 it was "holy ****!!" and pretty crazy compared to a track day, but dont' expect to see 28 bikes line up on the grid any time soon...

Also, remember Racer5 has their 125cc program. If you're going to do Racer5 through their 125 program, you will be able to race that same weekend you do your school on the 125. That's the point of the course is to get you out, learn fundamentals, get your race licence, and get you into a race and experience it all in a no pressure, similar skill level and all the same bike situation. It's probably the safest way to get into it. That way you get your feet wet. Simultaneously you can also watch the other races (600s) and judge if that's what you want to get into yet or do more 125 racing. It's also inexpensive and potentially much less painful in the event of a crash.

Jumping in with two feet isn't necessary, if what you mean is showing up with your 600 and entering classes like Novice/AM 600. But, all the power to you if you want to do it. Many people did it that way like myself, but I simply didn't know better!
    Last edited by Jia; 11-15-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jia View Post
    I entered my first race (last year) after I think 5 or 6 track days plus my school, in my first season of riding motorcycles. Started last (28th) and finished mid pack, so its not impossible to finish say mid pack in your first race with limited track experience. For your first race your goal probably is just to finish and have fun, not worry about placement. But like others have said, it's pretty much down how you are of a rider. With 28 bikes going into Turn 1 it was "holy ****!!" and pretty crazy compared to a track day, but dont' expect to see 28 bikes line up on the grid any time soon...

Also, remember Racer5 has their 125cc program. If you're going to do Racer5 through their 125 program, you will be able to race that same weekend you do your school on the 125. That's the point of the course is to get you out, learn fundamentals, get your race licence, and get you into a race and experience it all in a no pressure, similar skill level and all the same bike situation. It's probably the safest way to get into it. That way you get your feet wet. Simultaneously you can also watch the other races (600s) and judge if that's what you want to get into yet or do more 125 racing. It's also inexpensive and potentially much less painful in the event of a crash.

Jumping in with two feet isn't necessary, if what you mean is showing up with your 600 and entering classes like Novice/AM 600. But, all the power to you if you want to do it. Many people did it that way like myself, but I simply didn't know better!

^^^ +100%

That is the whole point of the Racer5 program. and it works!

well i took my race licence on a monday. that friday was my first race weekend (no track day yet) and qulifided 5 in my first race finished 11. and by my 7th time on a race track i had 3 top 3 finishes and a daytona win.
    i did not do a track day intill my first year pro.
    some people just take to it faster then others

Why a vague non descriptive title to start the thread? I don't get that...is it an attempt to generate hits or something?

Quote Originally Posted by awyala View Post
    Why a vague non descriptive title to start the thread? I don't get that...is it an attempt to generate hits or something?
    Yes, of course, it is. Enough hits and you get your awesome card and the free monthly subscription to the secret sauce club. The 7 helpful posters above you didn't seem to have an issue with the thread title and neither do I.

Personally, I share the same curiosity as the OP and have found this thread very helpful. BTW, it was the thread title that got my attention - as they are supposed to do if you want your post read and advice offered.

Why post if you don't have something helpful to offer? No lane splitting threads open right now I guess.
    Last edited by JZ67; 12-14-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Is this the first time you've seen a vague thread title? It's one of my biggest forum pet peeves. Threads in the miltimedia section with titles like You gotta see this or Awesome vid. You can look in any section on this site and see dozens and dozens of stupid thread titles.

JZ...had to look into your post..took a second for me to get the lane splitting. LOL
    Sorry for the vague title..I guess I could have asked the question in the title and that would have been that..You can tell I don't post much. I don't have 168ish posts since joining last month..okay enough.
    Well I'll be answering my own question not soon enough. Signed up for the Racer5 4 day course/race. I'm going to bring along my track bike and if all goes well, I'll run in the lost era hwt group. If I'm sucking on the 125 then I'll wait to get some track days under my belt. May is way too far away right now.
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944

If you are 10 seconds a lap of the pace and you only see other riders when they lap you then I would say do more track days.

Quote Originally Posted by atss2006 View Post
    JZ...had to look into your post..took a second for me to get the lane splitting. LOL
    no worries atss, my reply was not directed at you. BTW, love your RT!

Quote Originally Posted by atss2006 View Post
    Sorry for the vague title...
    IMHO you have nothing to apologize for. Enjoy your track day experience, I'm envious.

"We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

That Racer5 program is right up my alley. I can't seem to find where they actually do this, which track?

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    Yes, of course, it is. Enough hits and you get your awesome card and the free monthly subscription to the secret sauce club. The 7 helpful posters above you didn't seem to have an issue with the thread title and neither do I.

Personally, I share the same curiosity as the OP and have found this thread very helpful. BTW, it was the thread title that got my attention - as they are supposed to do if you want your post read and advice offered.

Why post if you don't have something helpful to offer? No lane splitting threads open right now I guess.
    Some times we don't post to help but rather be helped. And in this case I was asking a question. I'm not so sure your sarcasm actually helped, soooooo why post? If you take issue with my filtering rants that's another subject no? But fair point....that topic is a dead horse at this point, so um no I won't be on that topic for a while, unless some sort of break through emerges. That being said, you must have a general issue with splitting threads as a whole which I am not responsible for. So as you too have issues you need to vent, maybe there is room for others to vent a little?

Anyways, from the OP's answer it is clear he didn't mean to lure its sake alone, and his attitude is a consiliatory one. Seems perfectly reasonable. My remark about "getting it" also is indicative of its widespread occurance in the forum while at the same time some people do "get it" as you pointed out "7 other posters".

If you read it as hostile it was not intended as such, and not even on the level of a peeve. But in general clarity helps in titles that's all, even if it means truncating words or even incorrect grammar. However you on the other have come across as hostile, just sayin'. Anyways...I digress, end of that issue on my part.

I would add to the OP, get in the top tier of track day outings before attempting a race, and depending on the bike you wish to race, from naked classics to 1L SS bikes the lap times and skill levels vary as do the competitive nature of the racers as well as the event's participant numbers. 600r SS are a very competitive and jam packed roster and are lapping in the top 5% of a track day. Any slower than them and they will be lapping you.

For example at a track like Cayuga, don't bother risking a dangerous situation unless you are comfortably lapping sub 1:19 and hit the odd 1:17.
    Last edited by awyala; 12-14-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    If you are 10 seconds a lap of the pace and you only see other riders when they lap you then I would say do more track days.
    Just do more trackdays period.

Its a blast, and the experience gained is invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    That Racer5 program is right up my alley. I can't seem to find where they actually do this, which track?
    They do the RACER5 program at TMP and I believe it also available at Grand Bend Motorplex for 2012
    Many thanks to my kid's sponsors: MOTOZEN Racing, Bickle Racing, JD Trailer Sales, GPBikes, Johnny Andro of GUNN's Physical FX Studio,CSV Graphics, Z1 cycletech, Chinatown Optical, ImpactArmor, MPHD Ltd, The Morton Foundation, Kevin Zhang, Sam Nawaz, Donovan Paige, Les Booth and race coach extraordinaire/ voice of reason; John Bickle!

Some times we don't post to help but rather be helped. And in this case I was asking a question. I'm not so sure your sarcasm actually helped, soooooo why post? If you take issue with my filtering rants that's another subject no? But fair point....that topic is a dead horse at this point, so um no I won't be on that topic for a while, unless some sort of break through emerges. That being said, you must have a general issue with splitting threads as a whole which I am not responsible for. So as you too have issues you need to vent, maybe there is room for others to vent a little?

Anyways, from the OP's answer it is clear he didn't mean to lure its sake alone, and his attitude is a consiliatory one. Seems perfectly reasonable. My remark about "getting it" also is indicative of its widespread occurance in the forum while at the same time some people do "get it" as you pointed out "7 other posters".

If you read it as hostile it was not intended as such, and not even on the level of a peeve. But in general clarity helps in titles that's all, even if it means truncating words or even incorrect grammar. However you on the other have come across as hostile, just sayin'.
    Sarcastic? Absolutely. Hostile? I'll let you perceive what you want. Your post, left to perception, could easily be perceived as being just as sarcastic and hostile.

My point is that it seems fruitless to hijack some one else's thread. If you have a concern over thread titles start a thread of your own addressing this issue. I really don't care to hijack this thread any further.
    Last edited by JZ67; 12-14-2011 at 08:48 PM.