How realistic is it?

Thread: How realistic is it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How realistic is it?

Never tracked never raced.
    I'm looking at schools to learn. Fast, Racer5, etc, etc. I notice that with the courses you progress and get your racing license. How realistic is it for someone to finish the course and start racing? Notice I'm not saying winning or top finishes but just to actually get in and be racing? I know at some point you have to jump in with both feet but I'm wondering if more track days should be completed before entering your first race?
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944

Re: How realistic is it?

I did 14 trackdays before I thought I was ready to go racing.

Some people jump in earlier than that. I wanted to be comfortable on the bike at a certain pace before I started racing, not everyone feels the same way.

I think it is prudent to get some seat time at speed on some tracks before you throw yourself into a race situation. It would be safer for you and those you race with/against. Track days are not the same as racing because the competition is much more intense. It's all fun! Enjoy.
    AM #299
    TZ250
    Racing 299 Blog

You're taking a school with instructors who are past or current racers, who are observing you learn and progress on the racetrack, wouldn't they be the best to ask this question?

IMO, If you're naturally quick, comfortable and want to go racing, you should set a date, latch on to a good instructor, do a few trackdays and go racing.

Don't fool yourself, you'll never be fully "ready", at best you'll have the fundamentals down so that you can concentrate on learning the new stuff.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Depends on your skill or comfort.... even in your first race you can finish 1st or be lapped by the leader.

Rider dependent.

I entered my first race (last year) after I think 5 or 6 track days plus my school, in my first season of riding motorcycles. Started last (28th) and finished mid pack, so its not impossible to finish say mid pack in your first race with limited track experience. For your first race your goal probably is just to finish and have fun, not worry about placement. But like others have said, it's pretty much down how you are of a rider. With 28 bikes going into Turn 1 it was "holy ****!!" and pretty crazy compared to a track day, but dont' expect to see 28 bikes line up on the grid any time soon...

Also, remember Racer5 has their 125cc program. If you're going to do Racer5 through their 125 program, you will be able to race that same weekend you do your school on the 125. That's the point of the course is to get you out, learn fundamentals, get your race licence, and get you into a race and experience it all in a no pressure, similar skill level and all the same bike situation. It's probably the safest way to get into it. That way you get your feet wet. Simultaneously you can also watch the other races (600s) and judge if that's what you want to get into yet or do more 125 racing. It's also inexpensive and potentially much less painful in the event of a crash.

Jumping in with two feet isn't necessary, if what you mean is showing up with your 600 and entering classes like Novice/AM 600. But, all the power to you if you want to do it. Many people did it that way like myself, but I simply didn't know better!
    Last edited by Jia; 11-15-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jia View Post
    I entered my first race (last year) after I think 5 or 6 track days plus my school, in my first season of riding motorcycles. Started last (28th) and finished mid pack, so its not impossible to finish say mid pack in your first race with limited track experience. For your first race your goal probably is just to finish and have fun, not worry about placement. But like others have said, it's pretty much down how you are of a rider. With 28 bikes going into Turn 1 it was "holy ****!!" and pretty crazy compared to a track day, but dont' expect to see 28 bikes line up on the grid any time soon...

Also, remember Racer5 has their 125cc program. If you're going to do Racer5 through their 125 program, you will be able to race that same weekend you do your school on the 125. That's the point of the course is to get you out, learn fundamentals, get your race licence, and get you into a race and experience it all in a no pressure, similar skill level and all the same bike situation. It's probably the safest way to get into it. That way you get your feet wet. Simultaneously you can also watch the other races (600s) and judge if that's what you want to get into yet or do more 125 racing. It's also inexpensive and potentially much less painful in the event of a crash.

Jumping in with two feet isn't necessary, if what you mean is showing up with your 600 and entering classes like Novice/AM 600. But, all the power to you if you want to do it. Many people did it that way like myself, but I simply didn't know better!

^^^ +100%

That is the whole point of the Racer5 program. and it works!

If you are 10 seconds a lap of the pace and you only see other riders when they lap you then I would say do more track days.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    If you are 10 seconds a lap of the pace and you only see other riders when they lap you then I would say do more track days.
    Just do more trackdays period.

Its a blast, and the experience gained is invaluable.