Overinflating tires for winter storage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overinflating tires for winter storage.

Overinflating tires for winter storage.

I'm kinda forced to store my bike "on the ground" for the winter. Whats a safe pressure to pump the tires to to prevent flat spots? Or wont they flat spot if stored on the ground for 3 months? For reference (if it makes a difference) they're NTEC slicks.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Re: Overinflating tires for winter storage.

forced to not use stands? At least buy some foam mats for under the tires? If your really hurting for cash at least some cardboard will keep the cold off.

get some foam anti-fatigue mats to park the bike on. 40psi front and rear would probably be fine.

In 22 yrs of street riding, I never once did anything to prevent flat-spotting my tires over winter....and I don't recall ever hopping on in April only to find my tires were flat-spotted,LOL
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    In 22 yrs of street riding, I never once did anything to prevent flat-spotting my tires over winter....and I don't recall ever hopping on in April only to find my tires were flat-spotted,LOL
    Even in the ancient days of nylon tires, any flat spots caused by extended cold weather parking would go away after a very short distance of driving.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Agreed. 18 years of riding and it's never been an issue.

I've been advised to top up the pressure to max. anyway over the winter - simply because it drops with cold temperature. Although if you're riding, wlll that matter?

Do flat tires wear and bend (and become more prone to damage) over the winter?

Don't leave soft race rubber in the cold, unless you plan on replacing it when next season starts. There is a big difference between street compunds and track compounds. Track compounds are really not designed to handle the cold.

store the wheels inside?

ive got a pair of stands i can lend out...

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Over the years I have never had any issues with flat spotting street tires or race slicks.

Having said that, tire compositions have and are changing recently. For example this summer at Mosport Race Track a Pirelli rep told us that motorcycle sport tires now have next to no rubber in them any more and as a result they will crack in cold weather such as below freezing temperature.

I saw a newish front Pirelli tire that looked like it had been cut by a razor across a tread block all the way down to the base of the tread. The tire had been on a friend's bike last winter which had been stored in an outside tin shed, unheated. The Pirelli rep said they have seen this often. The compounds in modern motorcycle tires do not like the cold.
    Last edited by Ikan; 11-13-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

I have seen go-kart racers wrap their slicks in saran wrap or food plastic cling film. It supposed to keep the tires "fresher, longer" while in storage. Any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ikan View Post
    For example this summer at Mosport Race Track a Pirelli rep told us that motorcycle sport tires now have next to no rubber in them any more and as a result they will crack in cold weather such as below freezing temperature.
    So what does that mean for everyone else that stores motorcycle in a unheated garage ?

Quote Originally Posted by kiterider View Post
    So what does that mean for everyone else that stores motorcycle in a unheated garage ?
    I'm pretty sure that you're fine. It doesn't go below freezing in your garage, does it?

I put in 35-40 psi, and move the bike a bit every few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you're fine. It doesn't go below freezing in your garage, does it?
    Pretty sure it does; At least in Mid Jan to Feb. It's not heated right now, although I'd love to get it done this winter.

I didn't have any tire issues last season, so I'm interested if anyone else has seen this happen!!

. Do you have Pirelli race tires on your bike?

Pretty sure it does; At least in Mid Jan to Feb. It's not heated right now, although I'd love to get it done this winter.

I didn't have any tire issues last season, so I'm interested if anyone else has seen this happen!!
    This is my first year with the bike, and every year before we parked a car in the garage. I know it never went below freezing because all of the ice/snow/crap that collected on the wheel wells during the day was water in the morning. This is a good thing for the bike because a) it's liquid cooled and b) it has a lead/acid battery. I don't want any of those liquids freezing.

As for the tires - I think that most of us have standard rubber tires that seem to do fine in the winter. I'll let you know in March, I guess - I've got a brand new Bridgestone Spitfire on the front.

I read a few of the replies, and my apologies for posting in this thread. My bad! I'm the idiot.

I didn't realize that this thread was the track section. So I presume this issue is probably for race tires only.

I read a few of the replies, and my apologies for posting in this thread. My bad! I'm the idiot.

I didn't realize that this thread was the track section. So I presume this issue is probably for race tires only.
    Me neither! Guess should ask the mods to move it?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
    Me neither! Guess should ask the mods to move it?
    Might not be necessary. I guess the OP put it in here since it's probably specific to race tires.