Overinflating tires for winter storage.

Thread: Overinflating tires for winter storage.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Overinflating tires for winter storage.

I'm kinda forced to store my bike "on the ground" for the winter. Whats a safe pressure to pump the tires to to prevent flat spots? Or wont they flat spot if stored on the ground for 3 months? For reference (if it makes a difference) they're NTEC slicks.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Re: Overinflating tires for winter storage.

forced to not use stands? At least buy some foam mats for under the tires? If your really hurting for cash at least some cardboard will keep the cold off.

get some foam anti-fatigue mats to park the bike on. 40psi front and rear would probably be fine.

In 22 yrs of street riding, I never once did anything to prevent flat-spotting my tires over winter....and I don't recall ever hopping on in April only to find my tires were flat-spotted,LOL
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    In 22 yrs of street riding, I never once did anything to prevent flat-spotting my tires over winter....and I don't recall ever hopping on in April only to find my tires were flat-spotted,LOL
    Even in the ancient days of nylon tires, any flat spots caused by extended cold weather parking would go away after a very short distance of driving.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Agreed. 18 years of riding and it's never been an issue.

I've been advised to top up the pressure to max. anyway over the winter - simply because it drops with cold temperature. Although if you're riding, wlll that matter?

Do flat tires wear and bend (and become more prone to damage) over the winter?