Fire/theft only?

Thread: Fire/theft only?

Fire/theft only?

I'm kind of tempted by the idea of owning multiple bikes but not having all of them insured for riding purposes at any given time, depending on the particular season.

Is it possible to get fire/theft/other-non-riding-accident insurance only for a bike (i.e., insurance that covers all of the things that can happen to a bike that isn't being ridden, but none of those that can occur while it is being ridden)?

What companies provides this, and how is it priced (presumably in this case rider experience is a moot point, at the very least, as it's essentially just insurance to 'store' the bike)?
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

Re: Fire/theft only?

For some absolutely rediculous reason this isn't available in Ontario, unless you have a custom policy or a nice broker (i.e. you have multiple lines of business with them and want this as well). Chubb Group is one that leaps to mind immediately.
    Current:
    2006 GSX-R 600
    SOAR #46. Please don't hurt the FNG lol

I called my State Farm agent on this very same subject and this is what he said;

If you're just signing a new policy and want only fire and theft, it's a no go.
    If you have an existing policy and you want to add a second/third bike with only fire/theft, it's not a problem...

Out of curiosity though, what's the point of having multiple bikes if you're only insuring them for fire and theft?
    Don't plan on riding them?

PM me if you want my agent's info...
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    Out of curiosity though, what's the point of having multiple bikes if you're only insuring them for fire and theft?.
    I would guess it's because liability might be about 100$ per month, whereas fire/theft may only be about 10$ per month.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

It sounds like the OP wants to get a dual sport for the fall and an SS for the summer (for instance) and switch insurance a few times a year. OP that's very difficult to do in Ontario these days, way too many people cheating the system, the insurance companies want full coverage on every bike they touch. As mentioned above, it may be possible, but it is an exception, not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    Out of curiosity though, what's the point of having multiple bikes if you're only insuring them for fire and theft? Don't plan on riding them?
    Oh, I plan on riding them all - just not all in the same season. I've heard of people getting away with 'moving' a policy between bikes once or twice a year, so the idea is I'd have a riding policy on one bike and a fire/theft on the other. At some point in the season, I'd swap which policy is on which bike... for instance, I might put the riding insurance on my road bike in the summer, but during winter move it to a cheapass 50cc scooter for winter riding.
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.