What does it mean "building a track bike"?

Thread: What does it mean "building a track bike"?

What does it mean "building a track bike"?

I will be going to the track for the first time next season, and I'm reading the section as much as possible, getting really hooked! Not once or twice I noticed people saying that they will be building a track bike during the winter, and I keep wondering what they mean. Is it buying used parts and putting a bike together, or they buy a bike with salvage title and repair it, or what? I don't think I'll be taking up such project soon as I want to go through the regular track learning process (taking some courses, etc.), but still I'm interested to see what people mean. Thanks in advance!
    Current: 2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Previous ride: 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Re: What does it mean "building a track bike"?

Quote Originally Posted by Corsara View Post
    I will be going to the track for the first time next season, and I'm reading the section as much as possible, getting really hooked! Not once or twice I noticed people saying that they will be building a track bike during the winter, and I keep wondering what they mean. Is it buying used parts and putting a bike together, or they buy a bike with salvage title and repair it, or what? I don't think I'll be taking up such project soon as I want to go through the regular track learning process (taking some courses, etc.), but still I'm interested to see what people mean. Thanks in advance!
    They are talking about taking a streetbike and converting it to pure track use. This would include things like kickstand removal, race bodywork, chopping wiring harness, aftermarket/modified suspension, engine modification, engine/suspension tuning, aftermarket parts (rearsets, clip-ons, etc.), etc. The sky is the limit when building a track bike but those are a few of the common things that will get changed when taking a streetbike to track only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

The process depends on what the starting point is. But at some point, you are going to want to end up with fiberglass bodywork (easier to repair and cheaper to replace than stock), better suspension (reason should be obvious), all the street-only stuff gone (lights, mirrors, passenger footpegs), suitable final drive sprockets and chain for the track you are planning to ride (and usually a selection of different sprockets to allow this to be fine-tuned), possibly some crash-damage protection (engine case covers or guards, shorter brake and clutch levers, etc), possibly customized controls (rearset footpegs for additional cornering clearance and better riding position, aftermarket handlebars for better riding position), and that's on top of all sorts of other things that can be done (exhaust, PowerCommander, quick-shifter, etc).

Thanks guys, but I've already read the beginner's guide to track and many other articles/threads about converting a street to track-only bike. Perhaps that's what people meant after all. I was kind of expecting something like "buy a cheap wrecked bike, change some parts, do some upgrades, and voila, you've got yourself an acceptable cheap track bike"...or something of that sort. Hmm..
    Last edited by Corsara; 11-11-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: typos
    Current: 2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Previous ride: 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Be sure to do a lot of detailed research before starting your "conversion".It's usually much cheaper in the long run to buy a retired racebike or previously loved trackbike.Talk to Recip,i think he has bikes for sale.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Corsara View Post
    ....... Me to ....... I'm very intrested in the "details" because what I have seen CAN'T be what most people mean ......soooooo, I would love to here "what people mean" (normally there would be 10,000 posts on this subject.....). BG

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G View Post
    ....... Me to ....... I'm very intrested in the "details" because what I have seen CAN'T be what most people mean ......soooooo, I would love to here "what people mean" (normally there would be 10,000 posts on this subject.....). BG
    Sounds like you're spoiling for a fight

Truth is, very few people truly "build" bikes from scratch. At it's simplest definition you take a street or salvage ride and unbolt some stuff then bolt on a load of other stuff. That's the extent of my bike building. And that'll be the extent of most peoples idea of 'building' a bike. The further advanced in the sport the further advanced you get, till you're at the point of building chassis, designing and building electronics, engine work, custom exhausts yaddah, yaddah, yaddah.

I suppose, in most of our cases, the word "build" should be replaced with "convert". But then when has this place ever given a rats *** about grammar and correct word usage?
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

I'm building one.. building it for real not just swapping parts.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I'm building one.. building it for real not just swapping parts.
    ....... your building a race bike, and you know people and stuff you, don't, count, (OK...... but ya only count a wee bit, K) BG

Building, swapping parts, assembling... I'm confused, what's the difference?
    At what point does it go from swapping out parts to "building" the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G View Post
    ....... your building a race bike, and you know people and stuff you, don't, count, (OK...... but ya only count a wee bit, K) BG
    I'm hoping to do a wee bit good next year so that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by raginduck View Post
    Building, swapping parts, assembling... I'm confused, what's the difference?
    At what point does it go from swapping out parts to "building" the bike?
    Ok so it's kinda splitting hairs but the more extensive modifications you make, the more you have to strip it down to do them. Slapping on some rearsets and suspension upgrades doesn't really require much disassembly. Doing motor work, fancy triple clamps, full exhaust systems, kit swingarms and subframes, kit wiring harness and ECUs, things like that require stripping the bike down to almost nothing then building it back up.

I'm about 25% into the R6 transformation.... saved a couple hundred of dollars in labour costs. The biggest pain is safety wiring, but I may just be lazy and pay Pro6 to do it for me :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    Sounds like you're spoiling for a fight

Truth is, very few people truly "build" bikes from scratch. At it's simplest definition you take a street or salvage ride and unbolt some stuff then bolt on a load of other stuff. That's the extent of my bike building. And that'll be the extent of most peoples idea of 'building' a bike. The further advanced in the sport the further advanced you get, till you're at the point of building chassis, designing and building electronics, engine work, custom exhausts yaddah, yaddah, yaddah.

I suppose, in most of our cases, the word "build" should be replaced with "convert". But then when has this place ever given a rats *** about grammar and correct word usage?
    I like "Converted" bikes. Mine worked well this year. 180hp on pump gas on the national Dyno. I bolted on rearsets, clip on, a Yoshimura slip on, chain and sprockets, Bazzaz unit for regional, DynoJet for Mosport National (didn't care for it), Fairing set and brake master, lines and pads. Bike still has a key and stock gas cap! Nothing wrong with a well "Converted" bike.

I have a few items in the works for 2012 that might almost classify it as slightly built
    Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

everyone has their own idea of what they want to bring to the track. Its anywhere from stock, to full on race machines. The limit will be your wallet and (if you have one) your wife/other half. Its a rabbit hole, one you start, you will always seem to be buying the next part or fixing something It becomes an additiction.

Over time you will get to understand your machine better, through manuals, trial and error, and long nights in the garage/shop/driveway. Most track guys get really good at fixing their own machine. Don't be afraid of what you don't know. (one day we all asked "how do I change my oil", and if not, your lying). The track community is great for support.

I'll never be on a podium, but it sure puts a smile on my face every time I go out
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I'm hoping to do a wee bit good next year so that's good.

Ok so it's kinda splitting hairs but the more extensive modifications you make, the more you have to strip it down to do them. Slapping on some rearsets and suspension upgrades doesn't really require much disassembly. Doing motor work, fancy triple clamps, full exhaust systems, kit swingarms and subframes, kit wiring harness and ECUs, things like that require stripping the bike down to almost nothing then building it back up.
    Sort of just sounds like swapping more parts than the other person.
    Would the definition you gave still be considered "building" a bike by say... someone who hand fabricates a composite gas tank, machines/fabs their own triples, rear sets, swing arm, motor parts, etc.... ?

The Basics: Replacing stock parts with aftermarket parts (which are stronger, lighter, adjustable and more convenient to swap out in the even of a crash that results in broken parts)

The Intermediate: Upgrading suspension, brakes and bodywork.

The Pro-Star: Engine modifications/upgrades/tuning resulting in some jetting/AFR/Dyno tuning... and the addition of other toys/parts that allow for quicker on-the-fly changes and setups.

Each can be considered "building a track bike"