How to start tracking? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to start tracking?

Re: How to start tracking?

Quote Originally Posted by Jia View Post
    Agree, used suits is the way to go for your first one (or two). My first two were used Suomy's, just a few hundred each (less than 5 but forget exact). Crashed them beyond repair. It they were both new that'd be a few grand gone. All my gear was used at first except my helmet. In fact I'm still using my first set of gloves, albeit they should probably be set aside as spares..

I messaged Jason last year didn't get a reply, not sure if he's still selling the Arlen Ness stuff. But Motovan is their distributor so anyone who deals with them should be able to get Arlen Ness.
    Based on his FB pics I'm not too sure he's even still in Canada.

You can keep an eye out for clearance items too. A few months ago I went in to Inglis and they had snapped up a bunch of Suomy suits on liquidation from Thibault and were blowing them out at $500ish. Can't recall exactly, but definitely a good deal.

How do these measurement work? I'm 5'6" 155lbs and I have a alpinestars leather jacket that is size 40usa, fits me perfectly. Will a size 40 suit fit me?

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    How do these measurement work? I'm 5'6" 155lbs and I have a alpinestars leather jacket that is size 40usa, fits me perfectly. Will a size 40 suit fit me?
    Suit sizing is all over the place. An A*s 40 maybe a Dainese 42 or a Berik 38. You need to try your preferred brand in person in the size you want.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

There is a guy on kijiji saying he's got a size 40 Astars 2 piece leather but he is 5'10". I don't know how we have the same size?

Suit size depends more on chest and waist size than how tall you are.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Suit size depends more on chest and waist size than how tall you are.
    very true- my kid wears a Dianese size 38; he's 5'7" and weighs in at 118lbs
    Many thanks to my kid's sponsors: MOTOZEN Racing, Bickle Racing, JD Trailer Sales, GPBikes, Johnny Andro of GUNN's Physical FX Studio,CSV Graphics, Z1 cycletech, Chinatown Optical, ImpactArmor, MPHD Ltd, The Morton Foundation, Kevin Zhang, Sam Nawaz, Donovan Paige, Les Booth and race coach extraordinaire/ voice of reason; John Bickle!

So what if it's too long or short? I guess the boots and gloves will cover the slack

So what if it's too long or short? I guess the boots and gloves will cover the slack
    If it's too long or too short, I'm guessing the armor would not be where it's supposed to, shoulder, elbow, knees etc...
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    If it's too long or too short, I'm guessing the armor would not be where it's supposed to, shoulder, elbow, knees etc...
    Ok now I'm confused again. It seems like it needs to be tailor made.

Ok now I'm confused again. It seems like it needs to be tailor made.
    I said "I'm guessing"... based on common sense only.
    Mina

As others have said generally suits won't be too long or too short. The used suits I bought, the fellows were considerable shorter than me. I'm 6' and the previous owners were something like 5'7, 5'8, average height, but much bigger than me, those suits were size 42, and I still wear 42. Keep in mind that leather stretches, and used suits are generally already quite stretched out. You can think of it as new suits will have a break in period.

Also, as others have said, different brands fit immensely different from each other. Dainese suits when standing make it feel like your balls are being chopped off, but remember, the suit is not intended to be comfortable standing straight up, they are designed to be functional/comfortable in tuck riding position. Having said that some may feel more comfortable standing up than others.

Regardless, before you buy a one piece suit, whether new or used, like any piece of apparel, you should try it on.
    Last edited by Jia; 11-13-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post

Our usual run to Jennings comes up in Feb ...
    I think you guys should consider California, this year.

you're over thinking this....

You have to try the suit on to make sure all the armour is in the right place and to make sure its snug. If you are looking at getting custom check out Velocity, he has some off the rack suits you can try too. You might luck out if they fit you.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    you're over thinking this....
    Brake marker selection is gonna be fun!

Look, try the suit on that you think you like. The armour always ends up in the correct place as it's bigger than the joint its supposed to protect. It aint rocket science. So unless you're 6' 19" tall and 500lbs it'll be good. Try it on and move on.

Lol yeah I'll try some on then ask questions.

Bring a back protector with you when you are trying on suits for sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Bring a back protector with you when you are trying on suits for sizing.
    Bring the back protector you're going to wear when you try on suits. When I bought my spyke suit at sturgis I tried it on with a back protector from the store. Suit fit great, but wouldn't fit with my knox back protector. It fits great with the knox now that I've lost 30 lbs though.
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

Don"t buy a suit off E-Bay unless you are 100% sure that size fits you. I get an endless amouts of people buying suits and then want the 46 made into a 40 or vice versa. Not worth it. Go try it on,,don"t save a nickle to spend a $100! I'm talking from the traffic I get. I have yet to see a suit crashed beyond repair,,,I have seen many suits neglected and eventually beyond repair. Or medical cut offs. Buy a suit that fits,,,then buy some decent armour to go inside.You can allways put it in the next suit. Get a decent back protector from a company that specializes in making back protectors and not a Chinese CE knock off.
    Buy used, get it cleaned and conditioned [not by a dry cleaners either]
    Doesn"t matter if it is a $4000 suit,,if it does not fit right it does not work!. So spend what you can afford but look after it. A $4000 custom suit with dry rot is no better then a $700 conditioned suit! And yes,, some people just have to buy custom,,fact.
    Last edited by john bickle; 11-14-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    bickleracing@sympatico.ca
    If you PM me it may take longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Bring the back protector you're going to wear when you try on suits. When I bought my spyke suit at sturgis I tried it on with a back protector from the store. Suit fit great, but wouldn't fit with my knox back protector. It fits great with the knox now that I've lost 30 lbs though.
    So I'm not the only overweight silly boy who did this then? 30lbs you say? Anyone want to buy a Knox back protector!!!