How to start tracking? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to start tracking?

Re: How to start tracking?

Gear rental is available, you supply your own helmet. Racer5 also sells new suits if you'd rather just buy one. Last year I paid with Visa when I signed up at the bike show.
    Schools and trackdays usually run rain or shine, aside from lightning when the marshals would have to come in.

The 125's are a blast, be prepared to be hooked!

info@racer5.ca is a good way to get any questions answered that don't get answered here.

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    +1 also does ur show price include tax and is gear rental available? I assume it's cash only at the show. Also What happens when it rains?

Haven't been on a 125 in a few years, but I remember them being sooo much fun even if it was during my m1x course.

I can't wait!

Dealer/Vendor

Thanks for all the inquiries!

I will reply to the most frequently asked questions we have been asked here. If your questions are not answered here please do not hesitate to contact us at info@racer5.ca

Is $799 really all that I have to pay for all 4 days of intro package?
    Yes the show special pricing of $799 (plus tax) will include
    1. Bike Rental
    2. Instruction
    3. Track Fees
    4. Race Entry Fees
    5. Race License
    6. Fuel Costs
    7. Tire Wear
    8. Damage insurance with a $500 deductible

The only thing that you can opt for is gear rental if you don't already have your own. Gear rental is $50 a day and that covers any damage you may do to our gear.

We don't charge anything extra for damage insurance with a $500 deductible.
    You would be responsible for up to $500 worth of damage, anything above that would be covered by us. To put into context the most we have charged to date for damage is $380, as repairs on CBR125s are extremly inexpensive. Damage is calculated at MSRP of parts plus $60/hour labor.

Do I have to take all 4 days at once or can I break them up?
    You don't have to take the 4 days back to back but it is highly recommended as statistically the retention rate for these new skills will be far greater if you do the dates back to back. this way you will have completed stage3 sooner and be able to attend trackdays with us and rent our bikes without having to purchase your own trackbike till you are ready to.

What will the show special pricing for Stage1 and Stage2 be? Can I sign up for just Stage 1 and Stage2?
    The Show Special pricing for Stage 1 will be $279.99 and Stage 2 will be $299.99.
    Doing the whole intro package would give you two extra days on track for just slightly more. The racing aspect of the course does really help cement the skills you learn in Stage1 and Stage2 and is only as competetive as you want it to be.

I understand that I am going to learn much faster on a 125 than on a bigger bike, but my goal is to ride a bigger bike, what are my options with you in this regard?
    We normally have a large selection of bikes avaliable to our students once they are ready to purchase their own bikes. 600s make fantastic bikes after the 125s and 250s as all your skills are transferable and there is very little transition time.
    Once you are ready we can help you select a bike that is right for you, or build one to your requirments. We can build any bike you really want and can do so at a cost that would be close to what somebody's old bike would cost you.
    All of our trackbikes also come with a free Stage4 course so that you can better understand your new machine.

Once students have demonstrated their skills in Stage4 and Stage5 we have our advanced level race bikes avaliable to rent for trackdays and endurance racing. These are purpose built race bikes that have quite an exotic list of goodies on them.

What is an Endurance package?
    Endurance Packages when our students get to compete in a 3 hour endurance race at SOAR on our machinery. Endurance race teams consist of students and at times instructors. Riders will try and ride for as long as they can (ideally an hour in a 3 person team) and then come in for a rider change and a re-fuel. The teams compete for who is able to do the most number of laps in a three hour period. This is a very exciting form of racing for participants!
    We supply the pit set up, the bikes, put together the teams. All you need to do is show up with your gear!

Stage 3 graduates are able to be on a race team using our CBR 125s - $210
    Stage 4 graduates are able to be on a race team using our Ninja 250s - $250
    Stage 5 graduates are able to be on a race team using our advanced level race bikes. - From $379 +

I am interested in signing up! What shows will you be at? Can I get the show special pricing right now?
    We wil be at both the December and January shows, and will try and are also planning on being at the London show. The show specials will not start until Dec 9th. look forward to seeing you there!

Is your website down?

Our site is down as it is undergoing some updates and is expected to be back online this Monday Nov 14th. Please visit us after that date at www.Racer5.ca

Last edited by RACER5; 11-11-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDuck View Post
    swingarm stand (since your sidestand will be tied up), way to transport the bike (trailer or pickup)
    Can somebody explain to me how you put the bike on a swingarm stand if you're by yourself!? I can't wrap my head around this... sorry if the question seems silly.
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    Can somebody explain to me how you put the bike on a swingarm stand if you're by yourself!? I can't wrap my head around this... sorry if the question seems silly.
    Hold bike with one hand (tail section), put on stand with other....When I did track days and even my first race at SOAR, I was alone in the pit and had to do it myself... Pain in the *** after a good session or race when your about to die of heat, its a really good idea to have someone there to help you when you come off the track...Next time I'll pay someone to be there

Very carefully!!! The day I met Fawaz I saw him and his friend just barely save his R1 from hitting the ground. It was like 3 inches from touching asphalt.

It's kinda tough, I'm glad my Sv has a grab bar on the back.

or buy yourself this http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchant...de=rear_stands
    Last edited by SweetOnion; 11-10-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    Very carefully!!! The day I met Fawaz I saw him and his friend just barely save his R1 from hitting the ground. It was like 3 inches from touching asphalt.

Seems like a nice stand, but still... it looks difficult.

Edit: Just went to the garage and pretended that I don't have a sidestand and tried to put the bike on the swingarm stand... well, it was easier than I thought!

One less thing to be worried about next season, thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by 2live&ride; 11-10-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    Mina

nTMP and Shannonville have a nice wall to lean the bike against (if you pit in the right spot). If you're one of those guys who gives a **** what your bike looks like, then get a rear stand. Although the wall never seemed to leave a mark on my bike at all. The crashing did though.
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

Princess Auto sell (hard to get though) a blue front stand which some guys ride into. It'll hold the bike steady enough and long enough for you to put a rear stand on. PITA if you're running warmers though.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post

I have one of those. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    nTMP and Shannonville have a nice wall to lean the bike against (if you pit in the right spot). If you're one of those guys who gives a **** what your bike looks like, then get a rear stand. Although the wall never seemed to leave a mark on my bike at all. The crashing did though.
    Pit walls and tire walls are excellent temporary stands. Especially when it's +25c and you're stranded at turn 14 at 'bogie.
    Last edited by Fiery254; 11-10-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Do the gear rentals come with everything I need(race suit, gloves, and boots)? Or should I just invest in my own gear? I only have street oriented gear(but I do have a corsair v).

Do the gear rentals come with everything I need(race suit, gloves, and boots)? Or should I just invest in my own gear? I only have street oriented gear(but I do have a corsair v).
    IMO, you should at least have your own gauntlet style gloves and full race boots.
    Mina

The Fast Riding School supplies everything, including the back protectors.

Start collecting gear as you can afford it, and some gear can be bought used if you want. I personally don't like used helmets as I don't know what has happened to them but stuff like a BP you can usually get at a decent price and just wash

Thank you for this thread.... I'm looking forward to starting track days in my second season!!!!

Thank all the good people who answered!

I'm looking at leather suits, boy are they expensive! Looks like I'll be renting unless I see a used one for a decent price.

I'm looking at leather suits, boy are they expensive! Looks like I'll be renting unless I see a used one for a decent price.
    Check out Velocity, he does custom suits and has some off the rack as well.
    http://velocitysportsgear.ca/index.p...ada/?_ssc=true
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

dont do it!! before you know it your addicted...lawn doesnt get cut,cars dont get washed, all house projects get set aside untill the winter months, you'll end up missing work. not to mention the constant need for more speed..fixing crashed bikes..collecting spares so you can keep going after you crash..you'll end up trying to convince your wife and kids that camping at the track for 3 days is like a vacation..ok, I stop now..to depressing..5 months till my next track day.....
    Treat it like you love it / Ride it like you hate it.

Damn good thing I don't have a wife and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by outtacontrol View Post
    dont do it!! before you know it your addicted...lawn doesnt get cut,cars dont get washed, all house projects get set aside untill the winter months, you'll end up missing work. not to mention the constant need for more speed..fixing crashed bikes..collecting spares so you can keep going after you crash..you'll end up trying to convince your wife and kids that camping at the track for 3 days is like a vacation..ok, I stop now..to depressing..5 months till my next track day.....
    Why wait for 5 months ? lol ..

Our usual run to Jennings comes up in Feb ...
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Used is a good option for saving money.

I am a bit partial to my Arlen Ness suit (it IS a really nice suit) but they are a bit spendy. I'm not sure if Jason (MW-Toronto) is still selling them on here but last i heard they were available at Z1 Cycletech.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Used is a good option for saving money.

I am a bit partial to my Arlen Ness suit (it IS a really nice suit) but they are a bit spendy. I'm not sure if Jason (MW-Toronto) is still selling them on here but last i heard they were available at Z1 Cycletech.
    Agree, used suits is the way to go for your first one (or two). My first two were used Suomy's, just a few hundred each (less than 5 but forget exact). Crashed them beyond repair. It they were both new that'd be a few grand gone. All my gear was used at first except my helmet. In fact I'm still using my first set of gloves, albeit they should probably be set aside as spares..

I messaged Jason last year didn't get a reply, not sure if he's still selling the Arlen Ness stuff. But Motovan is their distributor so anyone who deals with them should be able to get Arlen Ness.

My first trackday was with Turn2 at Calabogie. Expensive, but fun. Now I'm hooked. My buddy crashed the rental bike and they charged up and over the deductible of $800 which in mind you had to pay $100 for. I did a day at Calabogie by myself with my own bike and didn't have any troubles. The big key is to get there early, get your bike unloaded and all your gear set up, and don't think that your going to try to break any records your first day. You'll be fine with your own bike. For me it's nice to ride something that you are comfortable and familiar with. I had John Sharrard from Accelerated Technologies set up my bike after the morning, and told me that the bike was too nice to be on the track...

I did my day with Pro 6, Sandy, Sheena, and sorry but I can't remember the tire guy, but they were extremely helpful, they set the right pressure for my tires because I really didn't have a clue, and at the end of the day I was still vibrating with adrenaline that I forgot my boots there and lucky for me the people I pitted next to turned them into Pro 6.

I aquired most of my gear from eBay. Now is the time to look because it will be cheaper for you as well as you have 5 months or so to gather everything you need.