How to start tracking?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to start tracking?

How to start tracking?

I've been riding for 2 years but I still consider myself a newb. I wanted to get into track days but I don't know where to start. I'm intimidated to just show up with my bike to the track days.

Is there something I can do to prepare myself. I don't really want to take my current street bike to the track my first round. Nor do I want to purchase a "new" bike in this endeavor. Are there any courses I could take where they provide the bike and knowledge that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. My instructor at RTI mention a course named "fast" or something like that but warned me it is very expensive.

Thanks in advance!

Re: How to start tracking?

Racer 5 is pretty cheap and the rental bike is included in the course price.

I was going to post their page but it seems to be under construction at the moment.
    Last edited by rafiki911; 11-09-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

My first track day was a nightmare. I couldn't load my bike on the rented pickup, I was late, I couldn't unload my bike, I failed tech, I was slow, my technique didn't exist etc etc etc.

I would have benefited from turning up at a track day at 7am and just hanging around till about mid morning to see what goes on and how everything works. And while you're there walk around the pits and talk to people and watch people and what they do, what they have with them etc etc. Just soak that **** up. Then you'll be in a much better place to do a day. There's a couple of sticky here as well as to what to do.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    My first track day was a nightmare. I couldn't load my bike on the rented pickup, I was late, I couldn't unload my bike, I failed tech, I was slow, my technique didn't exist etc etc etc.
    Suddenly, I'm not so worried... lol
    Mina

In terms of preparation, there are two excellent stickies at the top of this section about track days. Hooking up with someone for your first day or two goes along way towards getting bits of info as the day goes on. I did this for my first couple of days and it took a lot of the anxiety off (thanks to George and BrianP). Organizers will also be helpful in providing info on how they're day runs.
    Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

I would suggest coming out to a trackday as a spectator just to see how things work. Feel free to ask questions.

understandably this can be intimidating at first. The sticky everyone is talking about:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?147502-The-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Ontario-Track-Days

Y
    ou'll find the overwhelming majority of track day goers willing to help/offer advice/answer questions. We were all new and in your shoes at one point in time and understand it can be confusing at first. If you let the organizers know you are brand new and are not sure what to do, they are normally very helpful. Just be sure to show up early, so your not in a rush.

put up a post before your first track day next year to see if there are any fellow GTAM members you can tag along with/follow/pit beside at the track next season to show you the ropes.

I failed tech my first time at a track day. Its not personal, its just for everyone's safety. A few minor adjustments and everything was ok.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Fast is a great intro and I've heard good things about Racer5 too, I'd start with either one if you don't want to risk riding your street bike at the track. After that, if you want start gettign your own gear and go for it, most of the trackday outfits (I've had good experience with Riders Choice and Hotlaps) are good if you let them know you're a newbie, many guys out there are willing to show you the lines and give you pointers. This was my first year and I had a blast!
    Silent but deadly!!!

+1 to the suggestions of going to a track day and not riding first.. also I would read the beginner's guide sticky.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Do it do it do it do it!!!

I was riding for 25 years before I finally hit the track, and man do I ever regret not doing it sooner!

Racer 5 is a great option, but also walk up and down the pits to see what is going on with the folks who brought their own bikes - just to see what it takes. Unfortunately it is a bit expensive at first, because some stuff you need you may not have yet - swingarm stand (since your sidestand will be tied up), way to transport the bike (trailer or pickup) and full leathers and proper riding boots - that's really the minimum investment, so a first outing with a group that provides the bikes and equipment is an economical way to get a first taste of it.

Don't be initmidated - we will help you! And, beyond being able to operate the bike competently and safely, there is practically no minimum skill level required to get started. Just show up with no ego and a willingness to learn, and you will have the time of your life, guaranteed.

If you want to come and spectate just indicate that intention on the forum here and one of us will gladly add you to our list of guests and let you hang out as long as you want. Costs nothing, and is a very fun way to spend a day for anyone who likes motorcycles and is not averse to loud noises....
    It's never too late for a happy childhood...

Yes i will be taking advantage of the off season to purchase "track gear"(leather suits, boots, and gauntlet gloves). For sure I will be looking at renting my first few times. I will reach out to you guys spring time to see if I can tag along with someone.

I don't have an ego when it comes to riding. I try to take it all in, criticism and all

During the off season both Racer5 and Fast will be present at most of the motorcycle shows.

I know Fast is for the upcoming Dec show, not sure about Racer5

Fast is not expensive when you take into account that you use there bikes, full equipment (I would take your own helmet though), and can get insurance incase you fall. Im pretty sure (don't quote me) the phase 1 is under 900 with everything included (tax too). Racer 5 is also amazing and u can acctualy learn more because your on 125s and u cant make up for poor technique with power on them. I have taken one out at a trackday and they are a blast

If you have someone to go with that has some experience it will make things alot easier too. If your close to a track then go spectate, I personally couldn't drive 2 hours to watch people ride.

TMP intro to track is an inexpensive way to get a feel for things but you will be using your own bike.

Dealer/Vendor

The Racer5 intro program is a very inexpensive way to get the track and build a really solid foundation very quickly.

The intro program uses the CBR125 as the initial bike we teach on for the first three stages.
    No matter what your background, if you are starting off on trackdays the CBR125 will teach you how to ride faster, smoother, more confidently in a safer more inexpensive package than any other bike in the world.

Even our sponsored racers use the CBR125 for a full day when they get to a new track, as its faster for them to learn the track on 125 than on their own racebikes and practice on the 125s to learn how to shave off seconds on their racebikes!

I will explain the Racer5 program as it seems that some people do confuse it with a conventional school.

Intro Package - This builds a solid foundation for riders of all backgrounds to better their riding no matter if their goals are to become a more confident street rider, competent trackday rider, or competitive racer.

Stage1 - Trackday intro , students spend the day in a brief classroom setting and then put what they learned into play for the day on track with our pro-licensed instructors.

Stage2 - Race licensing - Racing is one of the best ways to learn how to go faster this is why we incorporate it into our school, your race licensing day will give you a race license that will allow you to compete in race events across N.America. You spend morning in the classroom and then spend the remainder of the day on track with our instructors working on the skills you learned in stage1.

Stage3- Race Weekend/ Racer5 cup - Racing is a fantastic way to hone your skills and forces you to put the skills you learned into practice, however racing can be very intimidating. To combat the intimidation we have our own race class within SOAR called the Racer5 cup. All our students get a morning practice to go over their skills with their instructor and then get to race each other on our CBR125s. The racing forces you to put what we have taught you into practice, if you don't the people that were in the same class as you will pass you and you will learn that you are doing something wrong very quickly.

Our students can come back and race each other all season long in the Racer5 cup and rent our CBR125 at any trackday we host after they have completed Stage3 (trackday 125 rentals are only $150 a day!).

We encourage our students to get as much track time as they can on the 125s as it is much cheaper to learn/repair one of our 125s than it is on their own 600. Once they have learned all the basics on the 125 then we encourage moving up to larger machinery in our Advanced courses.

Advanced Courses
    Stage4 - Students spend the whole day with us on either their own racebikes or on our Ninja 250s and further develop their skills. Students that have completed Stage4 can Rent Ninja 250s on any Racer5 hosted trackday for only $200 per day!

Stage5- This course is for advanced trackday riders and racers looking to further develop their skills, and is taught on their own bikes.

An example of how inexpensive our intro program is our show specials will be $799 for the whole package which includes 4 full days on track with instruction, Bike rental, race entry fees, race license, fuel, damage insurance ($500 deductible)!

**We do recommend that all interested students sign up during the shows as they can take advantage of our deeply discounted show pricing and ensure that they are able to get the dates that they want. We sold out all our dates until late August by the end of the January show. **

We will announce our 2012 schedule shortly, our website is down right now for maintence/updates.

www.Racer5.ca

^Which shows will you be at so we can get the winter specials???
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Highly recommend started with Racer 5. Fawaz puts together a fun and extremely cost-effective day... also: you can work on track techniques on the smaller bikes. Don't be turned off because it's a 125: you'll learn more on those in a day than you will with any 600.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    ^Which shows will you be at so we can get the winter specials???
    +1 also does ur show price include tax and is gear rental available? I assume it's cash only at the show. Also What happens when it rains?

Haven't been on a 125 in a few years, but I remember them being sooo much fun even if it was during my m1x course.

I can't wait!