Front tire 'skips' since getting new rubber - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Front tire 'skips' since getting new rubber

Re: Front tire 'skips' since getting new rubber

On my way there now. Watch, the second I pull the bike out of the garage it will pour rain! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    On my way there now. Watch, the second I pull the bike out of the garage it will pour rain! LOL!
    You should be fine for a few more hours...
    let us know the update!
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    You should be fine for a few more hours...
    let us know the update!
    I dunno its raining in mississauga as of 5min ago

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I dunno its raining in mississauga as of 5min ago
    That sucks...
    I went for a ride earlier and when I checked the forecast it said rain starting at 4-5 or so!
    Mina

Old tires were BT016s. New tires are Q2s.
    Can't say much about them but traditionally Bridgestones tend to have a rounded profile, while Dunlops were more triangular. That would make the Dunlops seem twitchy in the straights, by comparison.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Some brands of tires have a coating, some do not.
    When the first turn you hit it feels like you are on ice and the tires don't even try it's because they have a coating.

The Qualifer and Q2 don't seem to have this issue, the BT 016 most certainly does.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    We'll never know if the tire was the cause of the crash. No doubt the rider will say it was as this deflects the blame from his poor riding to a component.

"Some do some don't". Do you really think with today's assembly processes that some do and some don't get coated??? c'mon man!
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Yup. Rained the entire way down here from Brampton. Yuck!

Great. That means it'll be raining my entire ride home, too

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    We'll never know if the tire was the cause of the crash. No doubt the rider will say it was as this deflects the blame from his poor riding to a component.

"Some do some don't". Do you really think with today's assembly processes that some do and some don't get coated??? c'mon man!
    This has been argued before...you can all believe what you like...I know my Pirellis on my track bike don't have a coating and are good to go...

However...two years ago, spring 2010 I got new BT016s...out the driveway on my DR650 and out went the back end.....ok, pick it up...hit the throttle and the rear spins like it's on ice!! After a few kms and corners...hit the throttle and up comes the front end. Sure, maybe it was a one off thing...

But..come spring 2011...mount the new BT016's...learn from last year and hit the throttle with the bike straight up and down - rear wheel spins like it's on ice....few kms later....hit the throttle and up comes the front end.

Call it what you want...all I know is...I'm always assuming my BT016's have something on them. Love the tire so I'll definitely keep using them for the street!
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

I posted an article from an issue of cycle word earlier this her. As some of you I to thought that a tire needed a scrub. Mostly because my instructor in my riding course told us that and how to scrub a tire. That was 10 years ago. The article I posted stated the all the major tire manufacturers now use a smooth chrome like mould which mean it will easily release from the mould itself with no aid of a mould release film. It went on to say very very few company's still use a mould release compound.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I'm home. I will rank that ride home as the fourth worst I have ever experienced. It took me 1.5 hours of clutch hand cramping agony in the pouring rain to crawl up Dixie Rd. Wow! I ended up lane splitting at one point. Don't tell anyone.

The boys at Pro-6 fixed me up quick. They replaced the tire under warranty. They didn't see anything obviously wrong with it. They did notice that one of my forks is 3-4mm higher than the other, though. The axle did not come out as easily as it should, so they took a look. It's possible and completely plausible that the Q2s provide more feedback, so what I'm actually feeling is the screwed up forks. The BT016's may have dampened the effect so I just never felt it before.

The uneven forks is unusual in it's own right though. The suspension was done in late July. I would have assumed that Condor Racing would have noticed the uneven forks?

Good thing I had planned on upgrading the front and rear suspension in the Spring anyway.

Thanks again to Pro-6 for looking after me. I love those guys!

That is odd and, to be honest, I can't believe that you didn't notice the difference in fork height.

And yes, that was a painful ride home. I jumped on the bike, at Yonge and Dundas, at 4:00pm. I got home at 6:05pm. The 410 was virtually stopped and even Dixie was barely moving.

To be honest, the suspension is not something I have ever been willing to play around with myself. I have just trusted others to do what's correct because I know very little about it myself. I'm understanding more and more, but still not enough to be questioning the work others have done to it. I hope that makes sense.

I'll have Pro-6 do the upgrade work in the Spring. Joe was talking about setting it up for my riding style, weight, etc. Sounds awesome to me!

To be honest, the suspension is not something I have ever been willing to play around with myself. I have just trusted others to do what's correct because I know very little about it myself. I'm understanding more and more, but still not enough to be questioning the work others have done to it. I hope that makes sense.

I'll have Pro-6 do the upgrade work in the Spring. Joe was talking about setting it up for my riding style, weight, etc. Sounds awesome to me!
    Even when that's done, you'll have to tweak the adjustments to get the best results. Only you can know how the suspension is behaving, while you're riding. I'd suggest doing a little reading, in the off months

2 book recommendations for suspension tuning:

Racetech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible (can be found in various formats on the internet) or at your loc al Chapter's and/or Trevitt's Sportbike Suspension Tuning.

Or look up sportrider.com... great site/magazine with tons of write-ups (Cheapest option... Trevitt also contributes to some of those how to's)

@ Rob: agreed!
    @ Mr.Azim: Cheers! Thanks for the suggestions.

WP Suspension has a good write-up, with diagnostic cues.

http://www.wpsuspension.co.uk/setup.php

...edit
    Last edited by meme; 11-10-2011 at 10:05 AM.

I'm very interested in riding this bike with a correct and properly working suspension. It has been screwed up in one way or another since the day I bought it. I bet it will feel and react beautifully once everything is the way it should be.