3 tickets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 tickets

3 tickets

28 year old male with a full G and full M. Had the G for ~10 years. Never had an accident. Got three speeding tickets in the past 2 years all in my car. 2 of them for 80kph in a 60kph zone. One I challenged and got the points dropped. My question is, what is this likely to do in terms of raising my insurance rates? I just got the third and it is for 100 in an 80 zone. Which I was NOT doing and am debating whether or not to fight it. Thoughts?

It will raise your rates.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Re: 3 tickets

The one you got the points dropped for, Insurance will look at it the exact same.
    Dropping points does nothing in an insurance brokers eyes.
    If you were not doing 100 in an 80 then definitely fight it, Whats the worst that can happen?
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    I fight everything, even parking tickets.... and have never lost. 3 tickets does put you in a "higher risk" category with most insurers, so its definitely worth fighting it. Worst thing that can happen is you are still found guilty, but will pay a reduced fine or less points. Best case is the officer not showing up that day and your ticket is dismissed 100%.
    How much of an increase are we talking? More than 600 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by palmpalm View Post
    How much of an increase are we talking? More than 600 bucks?
    I had a 15km/hr over ticket and once it came of my insurance went from $225/month to $106/month on my truck.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

1st Minor: Typically Free
    2nd Minor: Typically a 10% surcharge
    3rd Minor: Typically an additional 10% surcharge (provided you are still eligible with the insurer)

FYI, State Farm surcharges on the first minor, and Jevco allows two minors for free. Every company is different.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Thanks, VifferFun. Your post has really helped me make a decision. I was having nightmares of my insurance rate doubling!

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    1st Minor: Typically Free
    2nd Minor: Typically a 10% surcharge
    3rd Minor: Typically an additional 10% surcharge (provided you are still eligible with the insurer)

FYI, State Farm surcharges on the first minor, and Jevco allows two minors for free. Every company is different.

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    I fight everything, even parking tickets.... and have never lost. 3 tickets does put you in a "higher risk" category with most insurers, so its definitely worth fighting it. Worst thing that can happen is you are still found guilty, but will pay a reduced fine or less points. Best case is the officer not showing up that day and your ticket is dismissed 100%.
    Just to clarify the dismiss portion, they do not dismiss traffic violation tickets even if the officer don't show up!! I have tried to fight 2 minor tickets myself before, one was turning contrary to sign, another one was improper lane change while turning. When I went to my trial I did not see the officer's presence, i pleaded not guilty, but somehow they did not accept it and I had no choice but to plea guilty with lesser charge. Then it ****ed over my insurance.

OP: try to find a trustworthy lawyer if you want.

what do u mean they did not accept it, who is they? Seems like you got tricked into accepting a plea deal (admitting guilt) when all u had to do was face the judge. Judge sees cop not there, your home free.

^^ You have to select "request officer presence for trial" or something along that for the cop to be needed there.

well there are some ways around it. Fight the ticket, hopefully by the time the trial happens, even if you are found guilty, the ticket wont show up in the system until after the court date. This might or might now allow the other two tickets to pass the 3 year mark....
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by palmpalm View Post
    Thanks, VifferFun. Your post has really helped me make a decision. I was having nightmares of my insurance rate doubling!
    It shouldn't be drastic unless the third conviction means that you are no longer eligible for insurance with your current provider (which unfortunately is quite possible). You might have to go with a non-standard insurance provider or the Facility Association (i.e insurer of last resort). I know that my employer will not write anyone with three or more convictions in the last three years.

What insurer are you with?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

It shouldn't be drastic unless the third conviction means that you are no longer eligible for insurance with your current provider (which unfortunately is quite possible). You might have to go with a non-standard insurance provider or the Facility Association (i.e insurer of last resort). I know that my employer will not write anyone with three or more convictions in the last three years.

What insurer are you with?
    Duliban insurance brokers with Jevco for motorcycle and WAH for car.

With 3 speeding tickets most regular companies will not renew your policy, and you will be be forced to go to facilities. If I was you I would stay with your current insurer if they do not hike your rates significantly, as most companies will not run a check on you every year and you may be able to carry on with the current insurer as if you have no or 2 tickets until they find out. Also with 2 tickets you will be surcharged and loose the discount (conviction free).

If not or you need to make significant changes to your policy you may be out of luck.

does a talking on cellphone count against you? like if i have 2 minors and a cellphone will that be considered 3 tickets?
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Currently riding my 2003 R1

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    does a talking on cellphone count against you? like if i have 2 minors and a cellphone will that be considered 3 tickets?
    As long as it is a moving violation, it counts.

I think talking on a cellphone and driving counts as a moving violation. (Not too sure though)

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    As long as it is a moving violation, it counts.

I think talking on a cellphone and driving counts as a moving violation. (Not too sure though)
    Ya thats the consensus as nobody is completey sure
    Caught you looking!! Signature advertising works, inquire if you you would like to rent this space.

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

I am quite certain that a cellphone violation will count as a minor. IMO, talking/texting on a cell is more dangerous than speeding.

I am quite certain that a cellphone violation will count as a minor. IMO, talking/texting on a cell is more dangerous than speeding.
    Thats what I figured! Are these easily beat? How can he verify I was even talking on my cellphone. Could have just had my gps up to my ear for no reason at all( they dont need specifics)

1999 r1 - Sold!
    2005 636- SOLD!
    2002 r1- SOLD!
    2004 r1 - SOLD!

Talking on a cell phone while the vehicle is not stopped, is indeed a moving violation (I asked a cop about this)
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    Thats what I figured! Are these easily beat? How can he verify I was even talking on my cellphone. Could have just had my gps up to my ear for no reason at all( they dont need specifics)
    A GPS device up to your ear would still be considered using a handheld device.