Stone to the rad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone to the rad!

Stone to the rad!

No, not a 4:20 saying. Took a stone to my radiator last week.

New rad is 800.00, parts only.

Rad shop says about 135.00 if they can repair it.

Anyone else have this happen?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320104680.914428.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320104703.392869.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320104726.545590.jpg  
    No trees were harmed in the making of this message, though a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Re: Stone to the rad!

Those are the biggest pics I've ever seen. I can clearly see the stone hole.

lol.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

BRB loading pictures on a HD tv to take it all in.

Can't say I've had a rad puncture like that, bummer.

Banned

Do you have full coverage on your insurance policy? What's your deductible? Same as a stone hitting your windshield isn't it? Comprehensive claims are acts beyond your control. And they don't increase your policy. Be well worth getting some of your insurance money back!

You can probably buy a used (good) rad on ebay for around $150.

I've had my fair share of busted and punctured rads. Buy one off ebay, and in the meantime, use JB Weld temporarily until the ebay rad arrives.
    '08 ZX6R

JB weld it if its minor. Cant tell from the pics...but yeah dont pay $8000 for it lol..full size car rads can be had for ~$150, so try looking for aftermarket ones

Quote Originally Posted by wedginator View Post
    You can probably buy a used (good) rad on ebay for around $150.

I've had my fair share of busted and punctured rads. Buy one off ebay, and in the meantime, use JB Weld temporarily until the ebay rad arrives.
    Definitely get the used one. There are tons of nikes that are being parted out on stunt forums and ebay. Vendors section of this forum also has a huge list of all local bike junk yards.

If its not punctured let it be..

i can't see the damage on the pictures, its tiny

but having said that, my touring bike always has a rad guard on it, so does the headlight have a guard on it to protect against this...

my rad guard is from Cox Racing

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Yes. I now have one of these... $120 sure beats rad replacement costs:

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseType/...RAD0099BK.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DOHC1 View Post
    JB weld it if its minor. Cant tell from the pics...but yeah dont pay $8000 for it lol..full size car rads can be had for ~$150, so try looking for aftermarket ones
    +1 to the JB Weld method. If that doesn't work, or you don't feel comfortable doing that, ship it to Myler (if your rad shop won't/can't repair it):

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/newshop/index.php

I shipped my bike's leaky radiator to them a couple years ago, was returned to me in just over 2 weeks, and has been leak-free ever since! I searched high and low in Toronto and visited many rad shops, but none would attempt a repair on an aluminum radiator.
    Last edited by Xhumeka; 11-01-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    +1 to the JB Weld method. If that doesn't work, or you don't feel comfortable doing that, ship it to Myler:

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/newshop/index.php

I shipped my bike's leaky radiator to them a couple years ago, was returned to me in just over 2 weeks, and has been leak-free ever since!
    Why pay for shipping and wait 2 weeks when there are rad shops locally that can do the same job?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Why pay for shipping and wait 2 weeks when there are rad shops locally that can do the same job?
    I was just in the middle of editing my post to explain that when you replied

I searched high and low in Toronto and visited many rad shops, but none would attempt a repair on an aluminum radiator.

A rad guard of some sort (Cox for me) is well worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    I was just in the middle of editing my post to explain that when you replied

I searched high and low in Toronto and visited many rad shops, but none would attempt a repair on an aluminum radiator.
    My welder has fixed rads and gas tanks for me many times with no problems using brazing, hes just down the street from my shop in Mississauga

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    My welder has fixed rads and gas tanks for me many times with no problems using brazing, hes just down the street from my shop in Mississauga
    Good to know - I'll be PM'ing you for his info next time I need rad work! I literally called over 20 shops and visited 5 of them that said they "might" be able to fix it but they need to see it. All 5 said "nope" once I was in their shop...

Had my rad go on me on my 1980 honda. I was out of commission for about 1.5 months this summer trying to find one. I think I went through... 2 defective rads from kitchener (zdeno), another one from someone in Bolton (though only $5, and he wasn't sure if it was good or not), a couple visits to local rad shops, and finally got a used one shipped from Vancouver Island which worked!

Aside from paying a ton of money for gas & buying crappy as-is defective rads, the most painful part was the fact that it barely rained this summer. Every sunny day made me sad.

Apologies for the micro-pics. Iphone re-sized them before uploading.

Taking rad to shop today. They work on aluminum rads with some sort of epoxy then pressure test.

It's a pinhole leak. You can barely see the stream.

Rad guard is on the "next purchase" list!
    No trees were harmed in the making of this message, though a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Had the same thing happen back in August. Pin hole from a stone, stranded my long way from home. Took it to my local rad shop (Barton Rad), and they had it fixed within the day for $50. I was back on the road a day after that. Definately invest in a rad guard. Mine is an R&G for $120 , but......... lesson learned.

A rad guard is always one of the first things installed and never had a rad issue.
    Ben
    GTA - Toronto, Scarborough, York, North York