Need some advice(again)

Thread: Need some advice(again)

Need some advice(again)

Hello again everyone,

So i've decided on a bike, well in my price range, comes cert, runs, and has no leaks, or broken seals. Its a 1981 Honda Twinstar 200cc, i got for $950, wich I think for a bike to start out on, is great. Only problem is, I got my licence in July, wich means if I wanted a cheaper rate i'd have to wait till then to get insurance, but I made a few calls to some brokers, and one of them cut me some slack and gave me some-what of a deal. If i get insurance for it now($3,586) instead of a upfront payment hes doing a payment plan for me, and my mom has said she would pay half of the insurance(yes i know, im VERY VERY LUCKY) the broker was nice enough aswell, when my policy comes up for re-newal hes going to change me over to jevco at 1200 a year. My only question/advice im looking for is, will it be worth it? I've just had a nice season on a scooter, had a blast and miss riding around. I do have a job paying 9.80/hour, and everyone and awhile my moms work needs help, so I go there and make 14/hour for a month or two. Is it worth it? or should I sell the bike, cut my losses, and wait, I have the money, its just, i dont know if I should? the total for me(seeing as my mom pays half) is around 1700 for my first year.

Thanks
    -Greg

Re: Need some advice(again)

I'm guessing that you're still a student? NO BIKE is worth $3600/yr to me, and I make a lot more money than you do. I suggest you just wait it out until July . . . you'll only miss out on the early Spring riding. $3600/yr can be put to much better use for a young person.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

In your case, not worth it, just wait. Unless your super rich

$3,600 is steep. If waiting until July will drop your rates considerably, wait until July!

On another note: If you don't own the Honda yet, I wouldn't buy it, or just be weary if you do. If the insurance company you eventually go with sees that the bike was previously uninsured, they'll assume that you drove it without insurance and they'll give you a higher rate (the "non-preferred" rate). Obviously this is stupid, but this is what I was told by several insurance companies (boils my blood actually).

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post

On another note: If you don't own the Honda yet, I wouldn't buy it, or just be weary if you do. If the insurance company you eventually go with sees that the bike was previously uninsured, they'll assume that you drove it without insurance and they'll give you a higher rate (the "non-preferred" rate). Obviously this is stupid, but this is what I was told by several insurance companies (boils my blood actually).
    Where did this come from?? I bought my first bike in November and didn't insure it until April. Never had any "non-preferred" crap. I'm with MM.

I heard from thePersonal and I think SF as well.

I'll likely be switching to MM in March.

Wait for the year. You do not need to sell the bike.... I doubt you will find another bike for under a grand later on anyways. Just fix it up/maintain it/modify it for the time being :P

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    A company absolutely cannot charge you a higher rate simply because they have a hunch that you were riding uninsured.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)