Beginner Bike for Tall Rider?

Thread: Beginner Bike for Tall Rider?

Beginner Bike for Tall Rider?

Hey Guys!
    I thought I'd ask some of you more experienced guys what bike one would recommend for someone of my size, I'm about 6'6, 260 lbs, and I've ridden a little before.
    I learned to ride on an old Russian MZ250 Standard bike, (Kick start and all I only rode for about 3-4 weeks though, and I wouldn't count it as too much experience.

I've been looking at the Suzuki V-Strom, or maybe a Vulcan 500?

I was originally looking to buy a sports bike, but because of my height and size, plus crazy insurance rates until I have a few years under my belt pretty much puts this out of the question...

I like Standard bikes, and Dual-Sports, however I'd use my bike mainly in the city for commuting, and maybe go out on the weekends to the cottage up north, what bike do you guys recommend?

(I'm also looking to spend about 2-4 grand...)

Re: Beginner Bike for Tall Rider?

V-Strom would give far more leg room compared to the Vulcan. The 650 is about 65 horsepower, enough to get your mass up to speed too. Although marketed as an adventure touring machine, the DL's offroad capability is pretty low unless $'s are put into the bike (tires, suspension, etc), but it can be made more offroad friendly, the Vulcan not so much.

I have a biased opinion though, I've been riding 'Strom's since 2005.

And welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Scudzo_2; 10-31-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added welcome
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

A KLR-650 is a good choice, and well within your budget. It's less power than the V-Strom, but a bit more off road capable. The 35" seat height shouldn't be an issue for you either.
    White 2008 CBR125R - Sold
    Special Edition 2009 Ninja 250
    2001 KLR-650

Steer clear from cruisers. V-Strom 650, KLR 650 and other dual-sport or supermoto bikes with upright and natural ergonomics are the best choice for any beginner who's tall enough to comfortably put both feet on the ground.

MZ250 was (is) an extremely durable/reliable bike with excellent riding position. You will find both bikes mentioned above in the more-less same comfort class. Both are excellent commuters, although KLR is more off-road oriented.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Why would You guys say stay away from cruisers? The weight doesn't really bother me, and I plan to do long distances more, Highway,. etc...

I'm tall as well - 6'4" with a 36" inseam, and I started out on cruisers, only to find that the seating position was really, really uncomfortable with long legs. Even with forward controls, I found that my knees were above my hips most of the time, and it was just plain uncomfortable.

Most cruisers are built with a very low seat height, to accommodate most of the population that's shorter than us. If comfort's your thing, you're looking at a "standard" seating position, and both the DL650 (which I owned) and the KLR 650 have higher seats, which is going to translate into greater comfort for you.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Thanks Guys!

I'm thinking of going with the V-Strom 650 then, seems like a great bike, however Price Wise is it even possible to get one for around 3-4 grand or less? I don't care about "newness" as I want to learn Bike maintenance as well.

Also, a "Standard" seating position isn't the most important for me, I have ridden cruisers, Dual-Sports, and even Sports bikes, I Like the speed, and acceleration of sports bikes, and the comfort of Cruisers, however the issue with long legs isn't fun

Quote Originally Posted by JonatanDan View Post
    Why would You guys say stay away from cruisers? The weight doesn't really bother me, and I plan to do long distances more, Highway,. etc...
    Because of the generally terrible handling at low speeds, uncomfortable/unergonomic riding position, bad or non-existing suspension, inferior brakes, weight, etc. It may look cool to some, but riding position on 90% of cruisers is far from optimal and it does not facilitate easy learning. I am of the firm opinion that people should learn on neutral position bikes before they decide whether they like to push or pull, lean or recline, bend their knees or stretch them. In my book cruisers are as bad starter bikes as super sports.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against cruisers, race replicas, choppers or any other style. They are all fine and fun in their own way and I ride them all. Most are just too far from good starter/learner bikes, that's all.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

I'm thinking of going with the V-Strom 650 then, seems like a great bike, however Price Wise is it even possible to get one for around 3-4 grand or less? I don't care about "newness" as I want to learn Bike maintenance as well.
    You can probably find an older or higher mileage Vee-Strom that will fit your budget and now is the right time to look for it. If it was not heavily abused, and most people who ride them are not the type, you won't have any problem with it. Those engines have been around a while and have proven very reliable/durable.

Also, a "Standard" seating position isn't the most important for me,
    It will be when you start riding long distance as you say you intend.

I Like the speed, and acceleration of sports bikes, and the comfort of Cruisers, however the issue with long legs isn't fun
    You can have it all without sacrificing the ergonomic and therefore comfortable riding position (cruisers do not equal comfort, BTW). Heck, I positively refuse to tuck behind the windscreen and you can ask people how I ride.

How much and what kind of different bikes have you actually ridden? Forgive me for being blunt, but you can't get the idea of what you will like to ride by looking at someone else riding it. Get your license if you don't already have it, find out when/where the factory demo rides are and take for a spin everything you can get your hands on, even if it looks ridiculous to you. You will be amazed at how different some bikes feel when you are the one in the saddle.

No, It's Quite alright,

I've had my licence for about a year and a half now, However, I didn't get it in Canada, I have a EU Motorcycle License...

I've ridden the MZ250, A Honda Shadow (My Uncle's, Massive bike...) and My younger brother rides a Ninja 250, I only took the Ninja out twice, I found that I felt like a Giant on a little Kid's bicycle on It, and looked quite foolish, not to mention the Fact that I could barely shift due to my long-*** legs...It felt like my knee could control the throttle... not good.

I Can see why a Dual sport or Supermoto would be good, and I've taken a liking to the V-Strom, but I can't seem to find a model under 4,500

Anyone know if I have to go all the way through M1, M2, etc.. or can I do an "equivalency" test to use my Licence from Europe?

Anyone know if I have to go all the way through M1, M2, etc.. or can I do an "equivalency" test to use my Licence from Europe?
    The only difference between a newcomer with 20 years of experience abroad and a 16 year old with no riding experience at all is that the former can go straight to the full M test on the first try (check with Ministry of Transportation to confirm that though, it's been a while since i did it). If you fail the first time you start from the beginning. I suggest to take a course - it will give you a much better chance.

If you have an EU license, couldn't you just continue to use that? I'm pretty sure you can RIDE a motorcycle with an out-of-province/country license, assuming the license is itself valid... is the problem with insurance, or something? Will Ontario insurance companies only insure people with Ontario licenses?
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

I've had my licence for about a year and a half now, However, I didn't get it in Canada, I have a EU Motorcycle License...
    Ohhhhhhh! Are they making you do the road test over? I think it's 2 years full M from another province and 3 years for out-of-country M Class? I could be mistaken. I didn't get my M Class in ON. I got it in another province and I waited to switch my driver's license over until I was well beyond that to keep from having to redo the road test.

As for a tall beginner bike, have you looked at the DR (either Z or SM)? The DR400 or 650 would be great. And they're very affordable too.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can Ride with it here legally, but I can't get insured, and since I actually live here (as opposed to visiting) I have to either transfer my license, (Pain in the ***) or start from scratch...

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it,
    I know I'm not supposed to buy a bike for how it Looks, but i really can't stand some of these dual-sports, I don't mind some of the ones with smaller tires and such, (Nice fairing, etc...) but some of them just scream "Dirtbike" to me...

How about some standard bikes, I.e. SV650? or Nighthawk 750? Or am I looking at too many cc's?

How about some standard bikes, I.e. SV650? or Nighthawk 750? Or am I looking at too many cc's?
    Standards are good, but not as good as dual sports. I think SV would be too small for you. Displacement is a very relative measure, so don't worry about it. There's plenty of 600 that have more horsepower and are much higher strung than my relatively mellow 1200 (they don't come close to my torque though ). We already established that supersports are not for you, so I'll just take them out of the equation. Pretty much anything up to and included 500 is OK, 650 are all pretty good, most older 750 are OK, some 800 can fit too, but barely. Above that it gets either too heavy, to scary or too expensive for a beginner. For cruiser V-twins you can up these figures by about 20%.

A Bandit 600 comes to mind. It may be just what you are looking for, but you'd need to try it yourself. There are no new ones, so no demo rides, but there should be plenty good used bikes on the market. They are very reliable and have enough power to get you anywhere. I'd let you sample my 1200, but it's too heavily modified to give you an idea what a stock 600 would feel like (they otherwise have pretty much the same ergos).

How about a supermoto? They look nicer than dual sports and they will fit you just as well. The only issue is that most have quite uncomfortable seats.

Thanks! Yeah, the Bandit is looking like a pretty good bike, easy on maintenance and stuff,
    How is insurance here in ON with standard bikes and such? I've read up on the sticky in another thread, but I was wondering, would a Standard be considered a "sport" bike? (higher insurance?)
    I don't want to pay more for a year than my bikes worth!

I guess I'll go check out some of these in the dealerships, but I'll probably go take the MSF course in the spring, so if and when I go for my test I don't fail, hah
    Bikes are always more expensive in the spring no?

Thanks! Yeah, the Bandit is looking like a pretty good bike, easy on maintenance and stuff,
    Not much to work on to keep it running fine, yet a lot you can do yourself if you are so inclined. Also an excellent selection of aftermarket equipment to customize it any way you want. Spare parts are easy to find and relatively inexpensive if you don't buy OEM. Granted, all of the above applies to V-Strom and KLR as well.

How is insurance here in ON with standard bikes and such? I've read up on the sticky in another thread, but I was wondering, would a Standard be considered a "sport" bike? (higher insurance?)
    I don't want to pay more for a year than my bikes worth!
    None of the bikes you'd be interested in (standards, naked, dual sport, most cruisers) are surcharged by any insurance company. It's not based on displacement, so GSXR 600 is considered "supersport" and therefore surcharged while bandit 1200 is not. All that said, the insurance in Ontario is very expensive and you have no insurance history in this country so make sure to check before you buy. Also, having in mind the worth of your future bike and the likeliness of it being stolen you would probably want minimal insurance (liability only) to save some money.

I guess I'll go check out some of these in the dealerships, but I'll probably go take the MSF course in the spring, so if and when I go for my test I don't fail, hah
    Bikes are always more expensive in the spring no?
    MSF course is a good idea in any case. Ask/check if they are tax deductible (my M1 exit was).

Used bikes are likely to be more expensive in the spring, but don't let that rush you into buying. Unless you really know what you want now, use the winter to window shop, research, visit dealerships, check motorcycle shows, shop for gear, etc. It will pay you back in the spring by being a smarter buyer.

I'm pretty big myself (188 cms and 100 kgs). One thing to keep in mind is that the ergos of most bikes can be adjusted, at some cost. My suggestions to improve fit for a tall person is to drop the bars and move the pegs down and back. It will add some to your costs (particularly adjustable rearsets) but it can make a bike that doesn't work well for you into the perfect fit. Not something you necessarily need to consider right now but keep it in mind when considering whether a bike will work for you.
    2010 BMW S1000RR