Does insurance care about this ticket? "No valid permit"

Thread: Does insurance care about this ticket? "No valid permit"

Does insurance care about this ticket? "No valid permit"

Just got a ticket, and wondering if it's okay to pay it.

Contrary to HTA sec 7(1)(a) - "Drive motor vehicle, no currently validated permit." Ticket for missing the little validation sticker on the back of the vehicle registration. This is technically a moving violation, but it's kinda small potatoes. Note that this is NOT failure to surrender. Are there any insurance companies that treat this as a minor conviction, or is it universally ignored?
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Re: Does insurance care about this ticket? "No valid permit"

I didn't realize in your other post that you were talking only of the sticker on the permit itself. So was the validation current, ie; sticker was on the plate and in effect?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Just got a ticket, and wondering if it's okay to pay it.

Contrary to HTA sec 7(1)(a) - "Drive motor vehicle, no currently validated permit." Ticket for missing the little validation sticker on the back of the vehicle registration. This is technically a moving violation, but it's kinda small potatoes. Note that this is NOT failure to surrender. Are there any insurance companies that treat this as a minor conviction, or is it universally ignored?

you're SOL buddy, that is considered a minor violation.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

I'm not really sure, but thanks for reminding me that I need to renew my plates soon
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

I'm curious about this as I have just switched valid plates from a vehicle I sold to a new one and don't have the sticker on my new ownership.

I was told (by the Service Ontario employee) that in case I get pulled over, I can just present the number on the plate portion of the ownership (the number is the same as on the sticker).

I guess that would only work up to my birthday?

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

When I did my insurance I was asked for speeding and seat belt tickets only, I am not sure how that is looked at. I would love to know though.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

As far as I know, insurance companies don't care about non-moving violation tickets like license plate location, burnt light bulb or no fenders. So missing the sticker on your ownership shouldn't affect your insurance.
    Last edited by Splash; 11-10-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

I've had 5 of these on a car that needed a hot e-test and was hard to get one due to government crack-downs.
    These tickets do not apply to your license.

Pay it off and don't worry.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

From what I can tell so far, it seems at least possible that some insurance companies would consider it. Fighting it seems pretty low effort (might get dropped in first attendance by showing the prosecutor my now validated ownership) so I'm going to do it anyway. Would rather keep my clean abstract if possible, who knows how much worse insurance is going to get in the next five years. :P
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    From what I can tell so far, it seems at least possible that some insurance companies would consider it. Fighting it seems pretty low effort (might get dropped in first attendance by showing the prosecutor my now validated ownership) so I'm going to do it anyway. Would rather keep my clean abstract if possible, who knows how much worse insurance is going to get in the next five years. :P
    This is much like a parking ticket, it doesn't show up on your driving record.
    I've literally had 5 of these, and I didn't fight any of them. I just paid them off and none of them showed up on my abstract.

I'm not saying don't fight it. By all means go ahead and if you've already renewed your plates then it should be a piece of cake and you save yourself 125$.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

It WILL show up on your abstract, just like any other ticket, mover or not.
    2008 SuperDuke (current)
    2003 WR450F / SM (current)
    2005 DRZ400SM
    2003 XR50R (current, son's)
    1997 TL1000S
    1999 SV650S
    1985 GS750EF
    1983 GPz750
    1982 Nighthawk 650

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    Proof?
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    you're SOL buddy, that is considered a minor violation.
    wrong

ANY conviction under the HTA, the CAIA and a couple others (I think mainly commercial stuff) will show up. If you need proof, ask someone who's gotten convicted to get a print out of their abstract... or go do something in front of a cop that'll get his attention and then point out your lack of a sticker!

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    yes... the fine is $110, not $125 also

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I'm not really sure, but thanks for reminding me that I need to renew my plates soon
    And you reminded me... going to the service ontario website now haha

And Ive had a bunch of these. Never made a difference on my insurance or anything.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Well, folks, whether or not it shows up is now a moot point for me as the prosecutor dropped it this morning. I refused to believe it was that easy, but when she saw I had gotten a new permit & stickers a few days after the ticket, she was completely satisfied with that.

However, I had vacation days to burn. For many, including myself as I would rather not waste the court's time, if I could know with 100% certainty that nobody on the planet would care about such a conviction paying the $40 or so may be preferrable.