New Radar Trap on Highway 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Radar Trap on Highway 10

New Radar Trap on Highway 10

I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this, but last night on my way home I noticed a new location for OPP fund raising on Highway 10. One officer was on the pedestrian/bike bridge just north of Peel Road, hunched down behind the railing with his radar unit facing northbound traffic. There were two cruisers parked in a driveway farther north who would then chase down the vehicles spotted speeding as they come down the hill from Peel Road. When I went through there yesterday afternoon there was a third cruiser who had just pulled over a driver in a pick-up.

Keep an eye out for them, I think they will begin to use this location even more. They could easily catch speeders going south as well.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Re: New Radar Trap on Highway 10

On the little bridge, eh? Creative I guess, by their standards.

Not surprised; it's near the bottom of a valley and the popo can see for a mile in either direction. But, I've seen them in the parking lots of the businesses near that bridge.

Highway 10 anywhere in Caledon = sit in the right lane and set cruise control (whether real or mental) at 95 km/h or a little slower than whatever people in the left lane are doing ...

95km/h is a lot slower than most on Hwy 10. Try not to get run over doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by cedghill View Post
    I never have going 90, and I also don't worry about the big bad coppers coming after little old me.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by cedghill View Post
    Yep. That's why the cops are always patrolling that road. Always.

Don't want to get caught? Then never be the fastest one in sight and don't be near the threshold that the cops commonly use (i.e. 20 over). If that means everyone else is passing, so be it. They'll be the ones getting the ticket, not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Yep. That's why the cops are always patrolling that road. Always.

Don't want to get caught? Then never be the fastest one in sight and don't be near the threshold that the cops commonly use (i.e. 20 over). If that means everyone else is passing, so be it. They'll be the ones getting the ticket, not you.
    good advice Brian they are always always always on 10. in my car I'd be moving right along with traffic 100 even up to 110+
    but on the bike i'm always behind a couple of faster cars .

On the day I saw them on the bridge I was travelling along in the right lane near the middle of the pack of cars with the cruise in my truck set to 100km. There were probably at least 15 vehicles in this group and all of us were at the same speed. Funny how a few slowed down to 90 or so when they noticed the officer on the bridge, way too late by that time folks, just keep moving along.

Good advice is to not exceed 95 in the middle of the day, or anytime on the weekend. During the weekday morning and afternoon commute times the speeds tend to be a little higher, particularly in the early AM, but you could still get caught if you are the quickest thing on the road and or the first vehicle in the pack.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

where is this bridge that you guys are talking about? near the forks?

Pedestrian bridge in the valley, north of King Road, south of Forks, near Flapjacks and a few other businesses on the west side (where the cop cars usually sit).

I avoid 10 because of speed traps and because it's boring. There's plenty of roads parallel to it with no cops and much better scenery...
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I avoid 10 because of speed traps and because it's boring. There's plenty of roads parallel to it with no cops and much better scenery...
    That may be true; however, most of those roads have all-way stop signs at every sideroad AND have slower posted speed limits, so it actually takes longer to use them. With the new section of the 410 eliminating the jog to get from the 410 onto Highway 10 I have stopped using the parallel alternate routes and just stick to 10 for my commute to and from TO. I still divert through The Forks on my way home any time I am on the bike.

By the way, be careful on Dixie north of Mayfield and again north of Peel Road as they are favourite spots with the OPP.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Pedestrian bridge in the valley, north of King Road, south of Forks, near Flapjacks and a few other businesses on the west side (where the cop cars usually sit).
    got a street view link to this location? I'd like to add it to trapster.com

thanks

yeah, that road can be deadly, i'm quite happy to cruise along at an easy speed, but people fly down the road, so i have to speed up otherwise i'm watching my mirrors too much with cars flying past...

Don`t forget the Black unmarked SUV(OPP) that sits at the top of the 410 going North, just before you get onto 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Watch it on Heartlake Road, I think south of Charleston Sideroad. There's a cruiser that sits in a blind (a driveway or pullover) of sorts on the west side. You won't see it until you pass in front of it due to shrubs on either side. Nothing but empty fields around, so you can't miss the spot.

Fortunately, a bright-eyed birdie warned me ahead of time. Too late for the SUVs on either shoulder, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Watch it on Heartlake Road, I think south of Charleston Sideroad. There's a cruiser that sits in a blind (a driveway or pullover) of sorts on the west side.
    Thanks for the tip. I thought my encounter with a sergeant in an unmarked Chevy a few years ago was a fluke. Why do they always lurk where there's no one and nothing to be endangered by speeding... I'm waiting for those flashing beacons to become cheap enough to just leave a few hundred meters ahead of the speed trap. A cheapest bicycle light or a LED "throwie" would do the job just fine and they wouldn't know what hit them.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

so.. anyone have google map links to these locations?

^ Maps with exact locations rule. I would post them but I don't have direct knowledge of either location mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    so.. anyone have google map links to these locations?
    http://g.co/maps/sbdch
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta