Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

Re: Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

I have had in the past a full boot Sidi/Alpinestars and now i use Puma, and let me tell you the Puma is the most comfortable boot in the market!
    Ma che cazzo hai detto!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by sempre1 View Post
    I have had in the past a full boot Sidi/Alpinestars and now i use Puma, and let me tell you the Puma is the most comfortable boot in the market!
    Don't know about that brother but there was no break-in required for Technic Violator II. And they did not violate my feet = never even know they are on my feet when riding. Pretty good for walking but like most sport high boots the 15 degree forward slope does impede walking a tad. My feet do not get hot even on +30 degree days unlike a pair of low leather boots I have.

Looking at a pair of Daytona Evo Sports GTX. Excellent protection and seem ok the few times I have tried them in the showroom. $599 + ouch, but I would get great protection and the GTX have a Goretex lining so dry tooties in the rain.
    Last edited by Ikan; 12-17-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

I went to the Bike show recently and was told by a vendor that the following Dainese model has the same amount of ankle protection as a full boot. What do you guys think??

full boots if not just sandales well do...

Quote Originally Posted by spaz619 View Post
    I went to the Bike show recently and was told by a vendor that the following Dainese model has the same amount of ankle protection as a full boot. What do you guys think??

I tore three ligaments in my ankle wearing hiking boots the same height...

It may have the same amount of ankle protection but it does not go high enough for it to even be effective. You can still twist your ankle in a high top like this...

What vendor was trying to tell you they are just as safe as a higher boot?
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

It's a matter of wanting "some" protection,or some "more" protection.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Ikan View Post
    Those booties quite possible will get ripped right of you foot in an accident.
    Why is that? They have full laces and a strap. If those come off your foot will probably still be inside.

I wear the same boots on the road as I do on the track (A* super tech for now) but only if I'm going to just ride for a few hours, going around the corner to a friends house I wear running shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    I tore three ligaments in my ankle wearing hiking boots the same height...

It may have the same amount of ankle protection but it does not go high enough for it to even be effective. You can still twist your ankle in a high top like this...

What vendor was trying to tell you they are just as safe as a higher boot?

I dont think they were saying its just as safe as a higher boot, but that they offer the same ankle protection.

If you want something comfortable to wear to work just wear normal shoes if the ride is short. Otherwise bring something to change into.

All the half ankle and low cut boots don't seem to offer more protection than normal footwear. They may have some more padding but I can't see that saving your foot/leg in a serious fall where you wish you were wearing protection.

If you are going to only have one pair of boots make them full length ones. Keeps you feet dry when its wet (to a limited degree), keeps the wind from pounding your shins on long rides, and in the even that you do crash, it'll save you some broken bones and tissue damage.
    Bikes:
    2009 EX250 SE - sold
    2003 ZX7R P8
    1992 ZX7/ZXR750 J2 (rebuilding)
    1996 ZX7 N1

Follow the progress of the ZX7 J2 build on my blog

Quote Originally Posted by spaz619 View Post

I have these, I like them a lot, especially in situations where I will also be walking around.
    They are comfy and doesn't make you look like robocop.

Haven't crash tested tho.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Not trying to start a atgatt thread out of this.But just because those things have a dainese logo on them,doesn't mean they will offer any more protection than a pair of hush puppy slippers.Your choice....protection,or style.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Just as an aid to any decision on footwear using some personal experience. On my training course, we had a rider who was wearing a 3/4 boot similar to those described in this thread. The person fell after stopping the bike during an exercise and the bike fell on their leg (i was the bike immediately behind)...result, they were taken to the hospital followed by plastic surgery to attempt the repair of a tablespoon sized divot of flesh gouged out of the back of their leg just above the top of their boots (caused by the foot peg).

This would have been prevented if they had full boots, the point being that speed and how far you are travelling probably has little to do with the nature or risk of foot injury, full boots are always going to be more protective and are more effective as speed increases.... still risk assessment is a personal thing and everyone is different..hope this helps someone

First off, I'm new to the whole motorcycle thing and I'm grateful for all the great information all of you have provided on this forum.
    I'm doing my M1 this coming week, and throughout the winter I've been collecting all my gear. I have to say I've been erring on the side of caution. Some of it may be overkill, but I think feeling safe will inspire confidence when I get on my bike for the first time.

For boots, I went with the Sidi ST. The lateral ankle protection they provide is fantastic, and they look pretty low-key with pants over top.

Jacket- Icon Victory Hero Leather
    Helmet - Arai Vector 2
    Gloves - Rev'it SLR gauntlet
    Pants - .... I'm trying to decide between Icon Automag and Firstgear Sport Touring (but they will be full leather)

I guess my point is that I've read enough stories about broken ankles, shaves knees, rashed thighs etc to get the absolute best protection I can afford.
    I know I'm going to be hot and uncomfortable at times, but my body is worth it.

I can't wait for RTI in April!

I wear Icon Field Armour boots when i ride in the street and i wear Alpine Stars SMX full boot for the track and spirited street riding.

Quote Originally Posted by wormburner View Post

For boots, I went with the Sidi ST. The lateral ankle protection they provide is fantastic, and they look pretty low-key with pants over top.
    Sidi ST is one of the best boots you can possibly buy. I picked myself up a pair this season as well.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
    Sidi ST is one of the best boots you can possibly buy. I picked myself up a pair this season as well.
    +1 on the SIDI's... picked up a pair of Vertigo's for my girl at the show, a bit on the pricey side, but it's a solid boot and her protection is a priority.
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    +1 on the SIDI's... picked up a pair of Vertigo's for my girl at the show, a bit on the pricey side, but it's a solid boot and her protection is a priority.
    Try putting a set of Dr Scholl's Sport Gel insoles in them. It's unreal. Makes them MUCH better for walking.

i bought a pair of Original Swat boots at the bike show...

http://www.originalswat.com/products/1152/

They aren't motorcycle boots and doubt they'll offer much protection, but i wear size 15W, and they just don't make sport bike boots that big...

On a side note, these boots are very light and super comfortable, i find my self wearing them everyday, initially purchased them for the bike only...

Just got a pair of Puma 1000v2. They were on sale at cycleworld on Sheppard and even cheaper than ordering from the states.
    Gotta love the ankle protection, but they are a pain to take off.

This is what I wear. Might not be great for impact as there's no padding, but good height and abrasion resistance.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JBC_3435_LF.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	27666