Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

Some people place more emphasis on what they wear then they do on not crashing. That said I wear an Arai helmet, but hightop Alpinestars shoes.

Then again 90% of my riding is done in the city where my speed is generally < 60 km/hr so the chance of a hard impact crash is pretty slim.

If it will help your confidence having more protection, you'll become a better rider faster as a result of it.

Re: Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

I wear a pair of Icon 4 Super Duty boots. When I started riding I was looking specifically for a boot that would be safe for riding, and that I could wear all day at work. These fit the bill. That being said, even the high-top boots get uncomfortable after a while (they're made for riding and not for walking after all), and I keep an extra pair of shoes at work just in case.

You guys are making me nervous! Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a pair of high boots to use on longer trips (and keep the high-tops for the daily commute).

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Some people place more emphasis on what they wear then they do on not crashing. That said I wear an Arai helmet, but hightop Alpinestars shoes.

Then again 90% of my riding is done in the city where my speed is generally < 60 km/hr so the chance of a hard impact crash is pretty slim.

If it will help your confidence having more protection, you'll become a better rider faster as a result of it.
    Do you wear motorcycle boots to drive your car, play basketball, go hiking, work in or run a marathon?

How about just wearing gear appropriate to the activity at hand?

Ever get a window chip or dent in your car from a rock? What if that was your shin instead.
    Ever step down into something slippery on the road? Would your hightops brace your ankle enough to prevent it from snapping in two?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

I wear hi-top sneakers. I agree that they are not the best for protection. I was lucky as I have gone down in them and escaped with no shoe related injuries. Being a broke student keeps me from buying some of the gear so I prioritized my list and am purchasing the best when I can afford it, instead of buying everything low-end and cheap and having to replace it next year or so. So I will be getting shoes when I can, till than, I am just being careful. My suggestion, if you can, buy some riding shoes ASAP....you don't want to look back and say, "damn I wish I had riding shoes on."
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/signaturepics/sigpic29682_1.gif

I was not a part of that class.

QUARTER LITRE WITH CHEESE

adri rides a cruiser, it doesn't go fast nor far. i find in the city at the right times i'm going 100 give or take what traffic does between the outskirts of toronto (427, qew, 401) and getting down town. not everyone has the same riding needs.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post

Lol so when a cage turns in front of you the impact is soft?

You you guys are worried about comfort try out Puma's, I can wear them all day walking around and they are still comfortable.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Personally I wear these maybe i'm wrong in thinking they are a good compromise between a full race boot and a hightop.

Attachment 0
    In the military they say a good pair of boots can make or break you. We set out to make the ultimate riding boots to battle the elements. The Patrol Waterproof boot will keep your feet comfortable and dry during the harshest conditions. The reinforced leather upper features internal ankle armor with a hidden ghilley lacing system for a secure fit with minimal fuss. The bottom unit features an internal steel shank for support with slip resistant rubber outsole for traction both on and off the bike. The Patrol Waterproof riding boot, the standard by which all will be judged.

• Durable leather upper
    • 100% waterproof
    • Axialmetric steel shank
    • Slip resistant rubber sole
    • Footpeg interface arch
    • Dual adjustable stabilizer straps
    • Internal ankle protection
    • Aluminum positive-lock buckles
    • Protected speed lacing system
    • Shifter interface nubs

Quote Originally Posted by rbjeepthing View Post
    Personally I wear these maybe i'm wrong in thinking they are a good compromise between a full race boot and a hightop.

Attachment 0
    They are more like half adventure riding boots than race boots. They do look like the have better ankle coverage than the typical hi-top riding shoe. Just my opinion though.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

I bought these Alpinestars Ridge boots for my safety course over the summer:

They went from being super stiff to plush and comfortable after I broke them in over a few hours. My feet stayed completely dry in a downpour and they were breathable as well. They definitely helped to increase my confidence as a newbie rider, mainly because they let me feel the gear shift and rear brakes much more easily. They're CE certified as well.

Quote Originally Posted by silent_vik View Post
    true. i was just being lazy..

used to wear the Shift boots which are shown in this thread on the top. since they are motorcycle boots, thought they are good enough.

but i had to learn the hard way. hit some water and went into what i think was a highside. ended up with a broken toe nail and twisted ankle. couldnt put my foot down for a week. after that couldnt put any wait on it for about 2 weeks. spent the next 2-3 weeks on crutches.
    nothing broken but a very badly twisted ankle.
    after healing over the winter, picked up Dainese Axial boots from Riders choice. Little pricey but they are definetly cheaper than missing 1-2 weeks pay.
    Had a small lowside at the track after that with Axials on. Ankle did hurt a little bit after that. but no injuries or twisting at all!

in short.. WEAR FULL BOOTS!! get the ones with good ankle support.

p.s. the get off i had was not on track just incase someone thinks full boots are for track only.

p.p.s get some knee protectors as well. i was wearing Knox knee protectors that day underneath my jeans. if it wasnt for them, my right knee wouldnt be in one piece. also ended up with a little rash on my legs. wearing leather pants may have made that impact less too.

In conclusion: Purchase some good quality gear!
    no offense but i've had injury worse than that playing basketball LoL

but it's true, boots are definitely safer

Quote Originally Posted by redlinerush View Post
    no offense but i've had injury worse than that playing basketball LoL

but it's true, boots are definitely safer
    none taken. the point i was trying to make was that if i was wearing the boots i wear now, there would not have been any ankle injury.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

When I was hit from behind in 2010 I was wearing dakota uniform boots, think a padded combat boot. while i did have nerve damage to my leg (probably through my back, i couldn't move my right leg yet i could still wiggle my toes and flex my ankle and walk with a limp). The fact that I had no damage to my feet I take to the fact that i was wearing 1/2 decent boots. These are much better than my "motorcycle specific" vega riding boots. Sadly they don't make them anymore and it took me 2 years of daily wear riding to wear them out.

they were similar to these

http://www.chiefsupply.com/3773-Dann...her-Black.aspx

except the toe was more sloped like a running shoe.

also on boot fit, a lace up boot is going to conform more to your foot to give a better fit than one that closes with zippers or ratcheting straps.

when shopping for a boot think about what would happen if your foot got stuck into your (usually rear) wheel it's not likely but I've heard of incidents where it's happened. a good boot could mean the difference between being nick named stumpy/hoppy or wearing a cast for a while.

We get in our cars with all the safety features (airbags, cages, seat belts, etc) but we don't expect to crash, at the same time when we get on our bikes we should prepare as best we can for the worst and hope never to have to need the protection. it's like my first aid/cpr certificate. I have both but I hope I never have to use either more than I have.
    x

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    When I was hit from behind in 2010 I was wearing dakota uniform boots, think a padded combat boot. while i did have nerve damage to my leg (probably through my back, i couldn't move my right leg yet i could still wiggle my toes and flex my ankle and walk with a limp). The fact that I had no damage to my feet I take to the fact that i was wearing 1/2 decent boots. These are much better than my "motorcycle specific" vega riding boots. Sadly they don't make them anymore and it took me 2 years of daily wear riding to wear them out.

they were similar to these

http://www.chiefsupply.com/3773-Dann...her-Black.aspx

except the toe was more sloped like a running shoe.

also on boot fit, a lace up boot is going to conform more to your foot to give a better fit than one that closes with zippers or ratcheting straps.

when shopping for a boot think about what would happen if your foot got stuck into your (usually rear) wheel it's not likely but I've heard of incidents where it's happened. a good boot could mean the difference between being nick named stumpy/hoppy or wearing a cast for a while.

We get in our cars with all the safety features (airbags, cages, seat belts, etc) but we don't expect to crash, at the same time when we get on our bikes we should prepare as best we can for the worst and hope never to have to need the protection. it's like my first aid/cpr certificate. I have both but I hope I never have to use either more than I have.
    I've worn combat boots before, but it caused me to worry too much about whether or not my boot laces were tied up good and snug.

There have been some accidents where the boots or shoes of the victim were found a great distance away. Best to have something that will stay on in a crash.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    Lol so when a cage turns in front of you the impact is soft?
    Read the message J. My girlfriend brushed herself off and was riding home half an hour after being nailed by a cage in just jeans and sneakers. Toughen up a little J. You'll be ok buddy.

Like CruisinGrrl said, everyone has different level of needs based on their ridings. What I wear on my 2 km commute vs riding out of province are entirely different things.

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    I wear hi-tops, these ones:

Obviously they don't offer as much protection as a proper riding boot, but they cover my ankle bone well and seem to be pretty tough. They don't draw too much attention off the bike either, which is nice

Those booties quite possible will get ripped right of you foot in an accident.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by flameboy182 View Post
    I bought these Alpinestars Ridge boots for my safety course over the summer:

They went from being super stiff to plush and comfortable after I broke them in over a few hours. My feet stayed completely dry in a downpour and they were breathable as well. They definitely helped to increase my confidence as a newbie rider, mainly because they let me feel the gear shift and rear brakes much more easily. They're CE certified as well.
    I have the exact same boots and while they did protect me very well when I went sliding on the DVP, the are very slippery as the rubber bottom is very hard AND it started leaking under 10k riding.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

Full boots it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    I've worn combat boots before, but it caused me to worry too much about whether or not my boot laces were tied up good and snug.

There have been some accidents where the boots or shoes of the victim were found a great distance away. Best to have something that will stay on in a crash.
    some riding boots will have covers for the laces, you can also tuck the laces into the boot.
    x

Full boot. I ride in a pair of Gaerne Balance Pro-Tech Boots. Jeans fit over them, and after the initial break in they have become extremely comfortable (as in I have worn them all day in the office).
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)