Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
When I was hit from behind in 2010 I was wearing dakota uniform boots, think a padded combat boot. while i did have nerve damage to my leg (probably through my back, i couldn't move my right leg yet i could still wiggle my toes and flex my ankle and walk with a limp). The fact that I had no damage to my feet I take to the fact that i was wearing 1/2 decent boots. These are much better than my "motorcycle specific" vega riding boots. Sadly they don't make them anymore and it took me 2 years of daily wear riding to wear them out.

they were similar to these

http://www.chiefsupply.com/3773-Dann...her-Black.aspx

except the toe was more sloped like a running shoe.

also on boot fit, a lace up boot is going to conform more to your foot to give a better fit than one that closes with zippers or ratcheting straps.

when shopping for a boot think about what would happen if your foot got stuck into your (usually rear) wheel it's not likely but I've heard of incidents where it's happened. a good boot could mean the difference between being nick named stumpy/hoppy or wearing a cast for a while.

We get in our cars with all the safety features (airbags, cages, seat belts, etc) but we don't expect to crash, at the same time when we get on our bikes we should prepare as best we can for the worst and hope never to have to need the protection. it's like my first aid/cpr certificate. I have both but I hope I never have to use either more than I have.
I've worn combat boots before, but it caused me to worry too much about whether or not my boot laces were tied up good and snug.

There have been some accidents where the boots or shoes of the victim were found a great distance away. Best to have something that will stay on in a crash.