Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

If I do not plan on tracking with my bike, would the Hi-top sneaker style motorcycle boots suffice? Or is it better to go with the full boots?

I currently ride a sport bike.

Let me know what your thoughts are

Thanks!

Re: Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

i ride my R6 with dianese boots that go just over my ankle but if you want the protection the full boot is the obvious way to go

Full boots for track or serious street riding.
    I only wear my Puma's (flat2 v2) when I'm spending the day at work.
    Can't be comfortable working a 12 hour shift in my Torques.
    Mina

I wear hi-tops, these ones:

Obviously they don't offer as much protection as a proper riding boot, but they cover my ankle bone well and seem to be pretty tough. They don't draw too much attention off the bike either, which is nice

Having had a get off or two or three or more...

Go with boots. They don't have to be track boots, even leather ankle boots are better than running shoes.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

After crashing in hi-tops (leather work boots) and being on crutches for months, only full riding boots for me now. Most people that recommend hi-tops haven't crashed enough in them. Lay your leg on the ground and get someone to jump on your ankle, that's a lowside and many full boots protect you quite well against this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Having had a get off or two or three or more...

Go with boots. They don't have to be track boots, even leather ankle boots are better than running shoes.
    I actually find the Leather military boots you can get at surplus to be great value for what your getting. Very good abrasive protection.
    2009 Kawi ZX6r Ninja Monster Energy Edition
    2009 Kawi EX650

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Obviously they don't offer as much protection as a proper riding boot, but they cover my ankle bone well and seem to be pretty tough. They don't draw too much attention off the bike either, which is nice

There is no achilles tendon protection = not good. The tendon can get cut by chain or sprocket contact for example during a crash. It has happened, although rare that I know of.

Work boots that have a steel toe cap are a no, no. Upon impact the toe cap has been know to cut a person's toe(s) off. It is considered more desireable to break one's toes then to chop them off.

Have a great and safe day! Riding is not over yet for this year.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Those booties quite possible will get ripped right of you foot in an accident.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikan View Post
    Those booties quite possible will get ripped right of you foot in an accident.
    Why is that? They have full laces and a strap. If those come off your foot will probably still be inside.

I wear the same boots on the road as I do on the track (A* super tech for now) but only if I'm going to just ride for a few hours, going around the corner to a friends house I wear running shoes.

Some people place more emphasis on what they wear then they do on not crashing. That said I wear an Arai helmet, but hightop Alpinestars shoes.

Then again 90% of my riding is done in the city where my speed is generally < 60 km/hr so the chance of a hard impact crash is pretty slim.

If it will help your confidence having more protection, you'll become a better rider faster as a result of it.

I wear a pair of Icon 4 Super Duty boots. When I started riding I was looking specifically for a boot that would be safe for riding, and that I could wear all day at work. These fit the bill. That being said, even the high-top boots get uncomfortable after a while (they're made for riding and not for walking after all), and I keep an extra pair of shoes at work just in case.

You guys are making me nervous! Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a pair of high boots to use on longer trips (and keep the high-tops for the daily commute).

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Some people place more emphasis on what they wear then they do on not crashing. That said I wear an Arai helmet, but hightop Alpinestars shoes.

Then again 90% of my riding is done in the city where my speed is generally < 60 km/hr so the chance of a hard impact crash is pretty slim.

If it will help your confidence having more protection, you'll become a better rider faster as a result of it.
    Do you wear motorcycle boots to drive your car, play basketball, go hiking, work in or run a marathon?

How about just wearing gear appropriate to the activity at hand?

Ever get a window chip or dent in your car from a rock? What if that was your shin instead.
    Ever step down into something slippery on the road? Would your hightops brace your ankle enough to prevent it from snapping in two?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

I wear hi-top sneakers. I agree that they are not the best for protection. I was lucky as I have gone down in them and escaped with no shoe related injuries. Being a broke student keeps me from buying some of the gear so I prioritized my list and am purchasing the best when I can afford it, instead of buying everything low-end and cheap and having to replace it next year or so. So I will be getting shoes when I can, till than, I am just being careful. My suggestion, if you can, buy some riding shoes ASAP....you don't want to look back and say, "damn I wish I had riding shoes on."
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/signaturepics/sigpic29682_1.gif

I was not a part of that class.

QUARTER LITRE WITH CHEESE

adri rides a cruiser, it doesn't go fast nor far. i find in the city at the right times i'm going 100 give or take what traffic does between the outskirts of toronto (427, qew, 401) and getting down town. not everyone has the same riding needs.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post

Lol so when a cage turns in front of you the impact is soft?

You you guys are worried about comfort try out Puma's, I can wear them all day walking around and they are still comfortable.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Personally I wear these maybe i'm wrong in thinking they are a good compromise between a full race boot and a hightop.

Attachment 0
    In the military they say a good pair of boots can make or break you. We set out to make the ultimate riding boots to battle the elements. The Patrol Waterproof boot will keep your feet comfortable and dry during the harshest conditions. The reinforced leather upper features internal ankle armor with a hidden ghilley lacing system for a secure fit with minimal fuss. The bottom unit features an internal steel shank for support with slip resistant rubber outsole for traction both on and off the bike. The Patrol Waterproof riding boot, the standard by which all will be judged.

• Durable leather upper
    • 100% waterproof
    • Axialmetric steel shank
    • Slip resistant rubber sole
    • Footpeg interface arch
    • Dual adjustable stabilizer straps
    • Internal ankle protection
    • Aluminum positive-lock buckles
    • Protected speed lacing system
    • Shifter interface nubs

Quote Originally Posted by rbjeepthing View Post
    Personally I wear these maybe i'm wrong in thinking they are a good compromise between a full race boot and a hightop.

Attachment 0
    They are more like half adventure riding boots than race boots. They do look like the have better ankle coverage than the typical hi-top riding shoe. Just my opinion though.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

I bought these Alpinestars Ridge boots for my safety course over the summer:

They went from being super stiff to plush and comfortable after I broke them in over a few hours. My feet stayed completely dry in a downpour and they were breathable as well. They definitely helped to increase my confidence as a newbie rider, mainly because they let me feel the gear shift and rear brakes much more easily. They're CE certified as well.