Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

If I do not plan on tracking with my bike, would the Hi-top sneaker style motorcycle boots suffice? Or is it better to go with the full boots?

I currently ride a sport bike.

Let me know what your thoughts are

Thanks!

Re: Full boots OR the Hi-top sneaker style

i ride my R6 with dianese boots that go just over my ankle but if you want the protection the full boot is the obvious way to go

Full boots for track or serious street riding.
    I only wear my Puma's (flat2 v2) when I'm spending the day at work.
    Can't be comfortable working a 12 hour shift in my Torques.
    Mina

I wear hi-tops, these ones:

Obviously they don't offer as much protection as a proper riding boot, but they cover my ankle bone well and seem to be pretty tough. They don't draw too much attention off the bike either, which is nice

Having had a get off or two or three or more...

Go with boots. They don't have to be track boots, even leather ankle boots are better than running shoes.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

After crashing in hi-tops (leather work boots) and being on crutches for months, only full riding boots for me now. Most people that recommend hi-tops haven't crashed enough in them. Lay your leg on the ground and get someone to jump on your ankle, that's a lowside and many full boots protect you quite well against this.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Having gotten a couple of rocks in the shin, and having really nice chunk taken out of the plastic, I'd go with proper riding boots.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Having had a get off or two or three or more...

Go with boots. They don't have to be track boots, even leather ankle boots are better than running shoes.
    I actually find the Leather military boots you can get at surplus to be great value for what your getting. Very good abrasive protection.
    2009 Kawi ZX6r Ninja Monster Energy Edition
    2009 Kawi EX650

I hit a Hyundai's driver's side rear quarter (driver was at fault), on impact my left leg was between the car and my bike.

The yellow/green blob is the bruising that appeared a week later. You can actually see the outline of my boot by where my leg isn't bruised. I'm pretty sure if I wasn't wearing full boots my ankle would've been a lot worse.

I like full boots.

I have full boots and puma flat 2's also. I can tell you that after wearing the full boots for awhile I feel pretty vulnerable when I put the flat 2's on. Nonetheless I wear the short boots going to work or where ever as they are just that much easier.
    to us there was nothing but girls and machines.....

full boots
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by silent_vik View Post
    full boots
    yes...what he said

But Vik.....you should tell your story! !
    I ride hard & fast on street and track.....get the right advice @ Riders Choice .......I dive deep with The Dive Academy in Oakville.....come dive with us

Quote Originally Posted by GSXMAER View Post
    yes...what he said

But Vik.....you should tell your story! !
    true. i was just being lazy..

used to wear the Shift boots which are shown in this thread on the top. since they are motorcycle boots, thought they are good enough.

but i had to learn the hard way. hit some water and went into what i think was a highside. ended up with a broken toe nail and twisted ankle. couldnt put my foot down for a week. after that couldnt put any wait on it for about 2 weeks. spent the next 2-3 weeks on crutches.
    nothing broken but a very badly twisted ankle.
    after healing over the winter, picked up Dainese Axial boots from Riders choice. Little pricey but they are definetly cheaper than missing 1-2 weeks pay.
    Had a small lowside at the track after that with Axials on. Ankle did hurt a little bit after that. but no injuries or twisting at all!

in short.. WEAR FULL BOOTS!! get the ones with good ankle support.

p.s. the get off i had was not on track just incase someone thinks full boots are for track only.

p.p.s get some knee protectors as well. i was wearing Knox knee protectors that day underneath my jeans. if it wasnt for them, my right knee wouldnt be in one piece. also ended up with a little rash on my legs. wearing leather pants may have made that impact less too.

In conclusion: Purchase some good quality gear!
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    I wear hi-tops, these ones:

Obviously they don't offer as much protection as a proper riding boot, but they cover my ankle bone well and seem to be pretty tough. They don't draw too much attention off the bike either, which is nice

There is no achilles tendon protection = not good. The tendon can get cut by chain or sprocket contact for example during a crash. It has happened, although rare that I know of.

Work boots that have a steel toe cap are a no, no. Upon impact the toe cap has been know to cut a person's toe(s) off. It is considered more desireable to break one's toes then to chop them off.

Have a great and safe day! Riding is not over yet for this year.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

true. i was just being lazy..

used to wear the Shift boots which are shown in this thread on the top. since they are motorcycle boots, thought they are good enough.

but i had to learn the hard way. hit some water and went into what i think was a highside. ended up with a broken toe nail and twisted ankle. couldnt put my foot down for a week. after that couldnt put any wait on it for about 2 weeks. spent the next 2-3 weeks on crutches.
    nothing broken but a very badly twisted ankle.
    after healing over the winter, picked up Dainese Axial boots from Riders choice. Little pricey but they are definetly cheaper than missing 1-2 weeks pay.
    Had a small lowside at the track after that with Axials on. Ankle did hurt a little bit after that. but no injuries or twisting at all!

in short.. WEAR FULL BOOTS!! get the ones with good ankle support.

p.s. the get off i had was not on track just incase someone thinks full boots are for track only.

p.p.s get some knee protectors as well. i was wearing Knox knee protectors that day underneath my jeans. if it wasnt for them, my right knee wouldnt be in one piece. also ended up with a little rash on my legs. wearing leather pants may have made that impact less too.

In conclusion: Purchase some good quality gear!
    What he ^ said. In short, get some quality gear. Those short boots may look cool but in a crash they will protect squat!

Boots if you like your ankles The low cut ones will not protect them and trust me you don't want any ankle injuries. Tore three ligaments last year really badly and I still feel it and do not have full range of movement in that ankle.
    Last edited by rafiki911; 10-29-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

but i had to learn the hard way.
    Looks like I gotta get me some new boots for next season then

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

High boots are also alot warmer this time of year and in the spring, or at 7 am in Lake Placid in the summer. If they are waterproof then that is a bonus as dry feet feel better and you stay warmer easier even in the summer.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

Full boots all the way. Someone already said only those who haven't gone down don't see the value in them.. Having said that it is not always the most comfortable or practical to wear them all day for some.. If not then something the like the A-stars smx or SIDI burners nothing less..

Ride safe

Full Boots. My bike ran my ankle over in a highside and my Dainese boots saved me from any injury. Hi-Tops would not have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT