Rambling Threads

Thread: Rambling Threads

Rambling Threads

The leather is scuffed, the rubber worn, the zippers broken and the fabrics stained. The style is fall clearance sale, whatever fits, 2005. It's time to consider replacements!

Now that I have a scoot that allows for longer distances, I'd like to hear from the longer distance riders. What sort of gear has made the difference on your travels? Responses don't have to be limited to clothing. If a gadget made the trip better, post it here. Thanks!

Re: Rambling Threads

Hmmmm where to start.
    Rain gear….you just can’t stop it from raining.
    I bought a set of Frog Togs.
    It’s a great set of rain gear…its light and small enough to go in a saddlebag.

Luggage….I bought this
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...all-Trunk.aspx
    I just love it….I can get 9 days worth of clothes in this thing.

CAA….I did about 14,000 miles this summer and am glad I had CAA.
    I go there for free maps.
    All the trips I did with no GPS

Internet….I did extensive research before I left on my trips and it really helped.
    From restaurants to hotels to roads to take the internet is a wealth of information

If you're really serious about longer distance riding, I'd recommend AGAINST cheaping out on gear. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for, and when you're in the middle of nowhere and you REALLY are counting on your gear, you'll be thankful that you got good quality stuff. Not to say that you have to go spending a bucket of money, but I've learned through about several hundred thousand kilometers, mostly on longer-distance road trips, that it's counter productive to be cheap.

Jackets - I don't like leather for touring, for the simple reason that if it gets wet, it's difficult to dry overnight. Few things suck less than having to put on a damp leather jacket first thing in the morning.

I have two jackets that are my go-tos. The first is a Joe Rocket Alter Ego, because it's very versatile. The "rain" liner isn't very useful for rain, as it's on the INSIDE, but it's a great windblock that's surprisingly effective at keeping me warm. And the outer layer of the jacket zips off for mesh. It sucks to be too hot. And it sucks to be too cold. And if you're out for any length of time, you're going to be both.

The second jacket is a suit - my Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece. It's expensive, but worth every single penny. I went to the factory to have it customized, as my legs are very long, and while I was there I saw a rack of torn up, roadrashed suits that had obviously been crashed. When I asked about them, the folks at the factory shrugged and said that they had been sent back for repair after a crash. That, to me, is the ultimate testamonial - that folks crashed in them but loved them so much and had so much confidence in the company that they would send the suits back for repair rather than even buying a new one. Gore-Tex, as waterproof as you can get, easy-on, easy off. Lots of reviews of this setup if you Google it, so I won't go into a whole lot of detail except to say that after about 80,000 kms on my suit, it's well worn in but still in great functional shape and if I crashed in mine, I'd send it back for repairs too.

Note: Don't believe what anybody tells you. There's no such thing as water proof. Only varying degrees of water-resistance.

Boots - I've had a couple of sets of great boots, and again I'd never cheap out here - anyone who's poured water out of their boots at the end of the day, well, it sucks. Find comfortable boots with Gore-Tex lining or the like, that are comfortable enough to walk around off the bike in.

Shoes - Converse All-Stars. They pack small, so if you want a pair of shoes for just hanging out in, they're a good choice.

Underwear and socks: you'll discover in your first couple of road trips that it's not the weight that's the thing, it's the volume. Getting your gear to take up the least amount of volume is the trick. For me, underwear and socks take up a lot of room, and if I'm going away for 2 weeks, packing 14 pairs of socks isn't in the cards. I discovered Tilley underwear and socks, and I swear by them, although some people would cringe...they have travel underwear that's brilliant. Their advertising line is "two pairs of underwear to travel the world". Wash one pair at the end of the day in a motel sink, it'll be dry by the end of the night, rotate between the two pairs. I might not go to that extreme, but I've packed 4 pairs for 2 weeks and been fine.

Ditto with their socks - they're very comfortable, dry quick and don't stink. I can get 4 days out of a pair on the bike.

Packing - when you're first packing at home, don't ever pack to 100% of your luggage capacity. Pack to 80%. Because once you're on the road, you'll never ever get your crap stowed away as perfectly as you did that first time, so leave yourself some room.

Although I know plenty of people who don't agree with me, I think a good GPS is essential for travelling, simply because it allows you the freedom to get lost without having to worry about finding your way back.

Consider heated grips. And an electric vest. There comes a point in every traveller's journey when you need to keep moving, but you can't put on any more clothes, and for me, once my hands get cold past a certain point, I'm done - it's not safe to continue if my hands don't work.

Dunno what kind of bike you're getting, but consider hard, lockable luggage. It's piece of mind when you step away from the bike. And if you're in an interesting spot, and want to get a cool photo or go for a hike, being able to leave your bike without worrying about is worth it's weight in gold.

Invest in a good camera. Learn how to use it. Many of the places you'll go you may never go back to again, so take the opportunity to capture it. Take a little notebook, and keep track of the places you went to, the times you were there. Your grandkids, going through your photos on your lap at some point in the future wondering at how cool you were and wondering what happened to you since, will thank you for it. Buy a little tripod so you can get yourself in a couple of those pictures.

+1 on CAA - the money it'll save you on hotels / motels alone makes it worthwhile, and the free maps are great. For the first time this summer, I had to use CAA in the middle of the desert in Utah, and I'm glad I had it. It's cheap insurance.

Speaking of insurance, buy travel insurance if you're going to the states. One crash can be very, very expensive. CAA is good for this as well, but if you have other options, investigate them.

That's all I got for now.

I'm sure I can think of more.
    Last edited by oomis; 10-27-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Thought of stuff.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

To add to the above...
    I always take a thin balaclava to wear under whatever helmet I am using if it gets real cold. Keeps the chin from freezing.
    Make sure you have a good set of Gortex gloves with gauntlets for the rain..
    Ibuprofen for the back for long hauls if your back tends to get sore
    A ziplock sandwich bag.. put some money in it before trip starts and hand the bag to the toll booth person.. let them take what they need and make change and hand it back to you. Beats fumbling for coins and bills in your pants or jacket pocket. You can also put the toll card in it.
    I carry a tire plug kit and 12 volt compressor.. as well as small pliers for pulling the nail out of the tire when it happens

Thom
    2009 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 (project bike)

Tilley Travel socks for sure.. they work for me in temps down to -16c (for commuting 45 minute rides) and up to 122f. They are my normal everyday sock.

I have Tilley Underwear buy have found Marks Work Warehouse drywear to work just well and be easier to get.

I use a two piece Roadcrafter. It gives me more flexibility I think than a One piece and has proven to me to be incredibly versatile. I commute pretty much in all weather rain or shine (but normally not snow on the roads) and the Roadcrafter is what I wear.

I have Aerostich Fleece pants underneath in cold weather, and some assorted ski-wear on the top.

I no longer carry rain gear although might carry my old Frogg Toggs jacket as an extra layer. I have Aerostich triple-digit overgloves and that is the only thing I add when it rains (I can put them on while riding so don't have to stop.) I have found that all glove solutions end up getting wet and the Overgloves delay that. They also allow me to wear whatever thickness of gloves underneath so I can tailer it to the temperature nicely.

I go to Marks for T-Shirts and Drywear undershirts.

My seat of choice is a Corbin (I'm on my second as I wore out the first one.) Making sure the ergos of the bike work for you and change them to suit you. Earplugs are something that can make a huge difference in the level of fatigue you have. I don't have any problem doing multiple 1,000 km days as a normal part of riding. For me GPS and iPod are useful tools I wouldn't be without and I listen through helmet speakers.

I am at 51,000 km+ this year and of course still riding every day, 49,000 km last year. Bigger rides this year included a 5,400 km ride to the east coast (Bar Harbor Maine, Cabot Trail, PEI, Gaspe were highlights) and a 10,300 km ride to the Grand Canyon and Death Valley.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Wipes to clean your visor, balaclava for the neck, a tarp or poncho to cover your bike (or at very least to protect the seat) during overnight rains. Helps so much to have a dry seat to start off a long day of touring vs. starting from scratch with a damp ***.

Also, some prior research into contact numbers and locations of a few shops in the vicinity you may need to visit in case of mechanical issues. Pen and paper to jot down some numbers from a phonebook or such. Ziplock bags in various sizes for phones/electronics/ your wallet, etc. during rainy sections. Packing well is a big plus too, as with bikes, your space alotment is usually less than travelling by car. Multi-use items are a big advantage.

Definitely have a flashlight for nighttime use, should you need to retie/fasten something coming loose or whatever, you'll need to see what you're doing.

Scala G4 bluetooth. Allows bike to bike communication within a mile of each other.

ipod remote - I just cant ride or even work w/o music and a simple glove friendly ipod remote to turn on/off,volume up/down help in making those long miles shorter.

Cooling Vest - Soak it and your good riding through 37-42 extreme temp and when dry it is a good extra layer for cold morning. Just make sure to let it dry completely before storage.

Coolmax Buff headwear -worn around the neck to make it more comfortable, dry, less chafing from helmet strap/jacket collar. A quick soak with water will offer quick relief from heat and its versatile to be use as a balaclava/cap off bike. Best thing for me is it keep my jacket free from my own perspiration, without it my jacket will stink after 2 days.

Another vote for electric vest and Frogg Toggs. Add a BlackBerrry with GPS for quick route checks at rest stops, boxer shorts for comfort, earplugs - you'd be surprised how much they reduce fatigue on long trips, ballistic nylon jacket with removeable liner for all weather riding, factory installed cruise control to give the wrist a break now and then and a factory stereo to keep all the voices in your head singing along together in harmony as you cross the long, boring prairies.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Lots of good advice here - as a camper, I would add a "headlamp" to the list for setting up camp in the dark, or having to do emergency roadside repairs in the dark for those who can do those kind of things.
    But one thing I think of as a necessity - and doesn't take up any rooms - emergency credit card with at least $2,500.00 available - I have a $5,000.00 card I never use, except to take on roadtrips. When I was in an accident in Vermont, broke my shoulder blade and totalled the bike, I had travel insurance and of course motorcycle insurance - but at the moment the most important thing was I had immediate funds available for medical care, accommodations until I could travel, etc. Being in an accident in the U.S. quickly reminds you that you are in a foreign country - being hurt and alone in a foreign country is stressfull enough - add in no money - definitely not fun. But even if its just for emergency bike repairs and transportation home, have an emergency fund of some sort - yeah, it can happen to you and it only needs to happen once to make you realize the importance of it.

Agree with Heated Grips - best thing I ever put on my machine - even when the water gets through your gloves and turns your hands black with colour bleeding, you can still feel quite comfortable.

Definitely good boots too.

Oh, and one thing I tried on my last trip was an UnderArmour type spandexy long sleeve t-shirt undergarment. That really kept me warm, and you can barely tell you're wearing it.

Excellent information, ladies and gentlemen. Did a test run with a Tourmaster heated vest today. Thumbs up! Besides keeping me warm on our straight, protestant highways, it prevented my back muscles from getting stiff. That's worth another 10 points, at least. I had the matching gloves already, since they are better for commuting than heated grips. Together, they turned me into a Borg with all the connectors, cables and controllers: RESISTANCE IS WARMING.

Three more cheers for the 650 Burgman. Managed five hours without discomfort and brought back a trunk full of pastries. How can I not love this thing?

Yeah that was fun today- tho glad for the heated grips.

I holed up at the Shed til 7 pm and it got down to 7 degrees after dark for the trek home and was still fine. Really enjoyed the ride today tho was jealous of your gloves....I could still feel some chill in fingertips.
    Still 300k in very late October and no shivering in single digits even at highway speeds - not too shabby.

FYI I pulled over on Victoria to adjust my earplug on my right side - with the cross wind was driving me buggy. Glad you're enjoying the Burgman.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

it's all been mentioned but heated grips, lockable clamshell luggage, compression gear like under armour or venom wear. for rain gloves i wear dish gloves over the leather. as long as its hole free it will be water proof.

what also helped was a tank bag i could open while riding for quick snacks and drinks.

i brought a bike cover to keep eyes of the bike and a wind up flash light in addition to my regular light.

a throttle lock or cramp buster helps but they have their liabilities too
    x

Gear is great, but thinking ahead on long rides there are a few things that can ruin your day real quick.
    Carry an extra throttle cable in your pack, a can of tire inflator/sealer will get you to the next gas station, a siffon hose is also handy if you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere. Some roadside repairs can't be forseen, but a tool kit, zip ties and vice grips will give you options
    Cheers
    Aminal
    In the breeze

Yeah, I've been fighting to prevent the TOOL BAG from growing any bigger since day one.

tin-can factory tool kit
    small vise grips
    small adjustable wrench
    mini-ratchet with sockets & bits
    zip-ties
    duct & electrical tape
    blue towels
    LED headlamp
    tire repair kit (sticky string)
    mini compressor
    fuses & bulbs
    first-aid kit
    kick stand plate (parking on grass/sand)
    cellphone
    extra earplugs
    microfibre cloth
    clear visor

That was BEFORE I had the Burgman's trunk. At least I don't carry the chain-breaker anymore. A siphon hose and extra throttle cable sounds pretty useful, though.
    Last edited by Flywheel; 10-31-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Choice of underwear makes a big difference and I haven't seen anyone mention bicycle shorts. Unlike regular underpants of pretty much any design snug bicycle shorts don't have thick seams in uncomfortable places, they don't roll on or create pressure points. Most are made of the right material that will not be too hot in the summer but will be warm enough in cold weather. I stick with synthetics (CoolMax, microfiber, etc.) for their moisture-wicking properties, but fine wool should be very good too.

Any cotton material that touches the skin where it sweats is a no-no in my book, regardless of the weather. The exception are my trusted Carhartts with inserted knee pads.

The same rules apply to t-shirts, turtlenecks, etc. Bicycle specific gear is often an excellent choice there as well.

Lot's of other good advice here, so I won't repeat it.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Here are some random thoughts in no particular order...

When travelling, remember that whatever luggage you have on the bike has to be lugged to and from the motel/hotel. When I started touring, I bought a 17L tank bag, 60L soft saddlebags, and a 60L soft tail bag. Of course the more room you have, the more crap you're going to bring along. Not fun carrying four bags weighing a total of over 100lbs to and fro, not to mention taking them off and back on the bike. I've now downsized to just the tank bag and tail bag, camera stuff goes in the tank bag, everything else goes in the tail bag. Whatever doesn't fit in the tailbag, stays home. Would love some lockable hard luggage, but for whatever reason it never fits in the budget. My setup works well enough though.

GPS is an absolute godsend when travelling, I do maps as well to get the big picture, but the gps fills in the details and keeps me from getting lost when I don't want to. I use a Garmin 2720, best bang for the buck moto friendly gps out there.

This is my personal preference, but I can't ride without music. Keeps me alert and aware, I go crazy going long distance without it. 32gb iPhone does the trick here, paired up with Etymotic Er6i earphones with Comply tips (think of foam ear plugs that fit on earphones).

I can't comment too much about gear as I just recently invested in some new stuff. Previously my touring setup was jeans and a leather Joe Rocket jacket, did the trick for five years. Got cold in the low teens though, and added Frogg Toggs rain suit for the wet stuff. The new setup is a Teknic Freeway jacket and Sprint II overpants. Supposed to be waterproof but I haven't tested that function yet. I will say that it's pretty warm, even for someone as cold blooded as me, still commuting the 50-60km round trip every day that it doesn't rain. Should work well for the longer trips. Royal Distributing has the stuff on clearance if you're looking for a deal

There are mixed reviews on Corbin seats, but I love mine. It's well worn and looks it, but barely ever causes me the dreaded monkey butt.

For tools, I keep it down to a Leatherman, zip ties, electrical tape, and I recently added tire plugs. For everything else there is a CAA/AAA and a credit card.
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 - 80k km and counting

Damn 20 degrees at the Shed .....yippee - what a gorgeous day. Get out there...
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here