Rambling Threads

Thread: Rambling Threads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Rambling Threads

Here are some random thoughts in no particular order...

When travelling, remember that whatever luggage you have on the bike has to be lugged to and from the motel/hotel. When I started touring, I bought a 17L tank bag, 60L soft saddlebags, and a 60L soft tail bag. Of course the more room you have, the more crap you're going to bring along. Not fun carrying four bags weighing a total of over 100lbs to and fro, not to mention taking them off and back on the bike. I've now downsized to just the tank bag and tail bag, camera stuff goes in the tank bag, everything else goes in the tail bag. Whatever doesn't fit in the tailbag, stays home. Would love some lockable hard luggage, but for whatever reason it never fits in the budget. My setup works well enough though.

GPS is an absolute godsend when travelling, I do maps as well to get the big picture, but the gps fills in the details and keeps me from getting lost when I don't want to. I use a Garmin 2720, best bang for the buck moto friendly gps out there.

This is my personal preference, but I can't ride without music. Keeps me alert and aware, I go crazy going long distance without it. 32gb iPhone does the trick here, paired up with Etymotic Er6i earphones with Comply tips (think of foam ear plugs that fit on earphones).

I can't comment too much about gear as I just recently invested in some new stuff. Previously my touring setup was jeans and a leather Joe Rocket jacket, did the trick for five years. Got cold in the low teens though, and added Frogg Toggs rain suit for the wet stuff. The new setup is a Teknic Freeway jacket and Sprint II overpants. Supposed to be waterproof but I haven't tested that function yet. I will say that it's pretty warm, even for someone as cold blooded as me, still commuting the 50-60km round trip every day that it doesn't rain. Should work well for the longer trips. Royal Distributing has the stuff on clearance if you're looking for a deal

There are mixed reviews on Corbin seats, but I love mine. It's well worn and looks it, but barely ever causes me the dreaded monkey butt.

For tools, I keep it down to a Leatherman, zip ties, electrical tape, and I recently added tire plugs. For everything else there is a CAA/AAA and a credit card.
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 - 80k km and counting

Re: Rambling Threads

Damn 20 degrees at the Shed .....yippee - what a gorgeous day. Get out there...
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here