Have you ever thought about racing?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever thought about racing?

Have you ever thought about racing?

Bet you have! So what's holding you back? Here are some inspirational stories of how people got started...

http://www.vrra.ca/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14206

Or check out the VRRA Profiles in Inside Motorcycles.

Do you really want to be sitting on your rocking chair at 80 regretting that you never had the trill of being on the starting grid?

You could have...

Re: Have you ever thought about racing?

I like TDs, but hate racing. So there ya go. I answered your question.

I've thought about it...and I decided I a) can't afford it, b) don't want to risk an injury and c) ain't fast enough..

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    I've thought about it...and I decided I a) can't afford it, b) don't want to risk an injury and c) ain't fast enough..
    Boo you sound like an old fart

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    That's no excuse there are old fart classes too.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Straight truth!

Did an endurance last year and will be racing in soar next year

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    I like TDs, but hate racing. So there ya go. I answered your question.
    Trackdays are good. Yikes, why hate? Strong word!! Bad experience?

I've never considered racing... Track Days let me do my thing when I wanted to do it (no commitment), I got my speed and adrenaline rush even thou there was no prize at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipes20 View Post
    Did an endurance last year and will be racing in soar next year
    Kool, SOAR is a good group I'm sure you will love it!

Quote Originally Posted by R1Guy View Post
    I've never considered racing... Track Days let me do my thing when I wanted to do it (no commitment), I got my speed and adrenaline rush even thou there was no prize at the end.
    TD's become blah after you've done a race.

Bit of pity you're hanging up the helmet, i think you would enjoy the racing immensely.

TD's become blah after you've done a race.

Bit of pity you're hanging up the helmet, i think you would enjoy the racing immensely.
    Yeah, I've raced but not motorcycles... I hear ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Motoshire747 View Post
    Trackdays are good. Yikes, why hate? Strong word!! Bad experience?
    My only experience with it so far included some very unsafe passes in corners made by people who forced me off the line. E.g., One terrible pass forced me to stand the bike up and slam on the brakes in a corner to keep from hitting him (he clearly didn't have room), and another crappy pass ended up with me off the track (again to keep from hitting some guy when he realized after passing me that he was going in too hot and slammed on the brakes). When it comes to me passing I obsess about doing so safely to an anal retentive point of not being able to commit to making a pass at all. Even when the opportunities are slapping me in the face. So, not the best experience.

I could use an off-colour analogy of the difference between track days and racing but I'll just say;
    Racing is the most intense, most amazing thing you can do with a motorcycle and track days are just a facsimile, fun but unrewarding.

Admittedly, I'm a competitor, a racer and I struggle to understand those who aren't.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

When it comes to me passing I obsess about doing so safely to an anal retentive point of not being able to commit to making a pass at all. Even when the opportunities are slapping me in the face. So, not the best experience.
    Passing isn't a natural process, it's learned like everything else you do on track. It sounds like you need to spend some time with a good instructor to focus on building your skills and confidence. Now is a good time to line someone up for next year.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

I think about it every day and night. I have my walls covered in racing posters and a bunch of little model race bikes. The thing keeping me back is money, it's probably the main thing that keeps most people from achieving their dreams
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    I think about it every day and night. I have my walls covered in racing posters and a bunch of little model race bikes. The thing keeping me back is money, it's probably the main thing that keeps most people from achieving their dreams
    I think most people who are serious enough find the money but at what cost elsewhere in your life? But it's true, the term "gentlemen racer" was invented a long time ago for people with too much money who want to dabble in some adventure..

Quote Originally Posted by franz131 View Post
    Passing isn't a natural process, it's learned like everything else you do on track. It sounds like you need to spend some time with a good instructor to focus on building your skills and confidence. Now is a good time to line someone up for next year.
    It's funny how the word confidence keeps coming up because it's 100% true. I do lack confidence at the track. And after 2 crashes (both at tracks), I lost a lot of confidence on the bike, period.

I have a short list of people I would love to hire for next season to help me out: Donovan, Vinnie and Josée. I don't know Donovan, but heard great things about him. As for Vinnie and Josée, they're both good folks and I felt like I really clicked with them at Calabogie last summer.

II don't know Donovan, but heard great things about him.
    He works for sammidges..it doesn't get much better than that! Franz will work for trinkets and baubles but he'll only make you fast in the rain..

Money holds me back.

That and it's unlikely I'll ever get fast enough really. I might try it one day, but not while I have a lot of other things to pay for. I don't plan on going into debt for racing (or anything else save a house for that matter).

I'm not a competitive person with other people. I'm competitive with myself. It's why I like riding in the first place so I doubt I'd be any good at racing just from that mindset alone.....not to mention how slow I am!