Have you ever thought about racing?

Thread: Have you ever thought about racing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Have you ever thought about racing?

Yamaha FZR400, basically stock. Turn key ... press button ... VROOM ... go out on the track ... come back in ... switch it off. Repeat as desired. Change the tires every few weekends and change the oil every few weekends. Doesn't have enough power to chew up tires or brake pads. Suspension is pretty much either set it and forget it (rear shock) or non-adjustable (front), just ride the darn thing. Works for me. (If you want something newer and somewhat faster, the SV650 is pretty much like this, too.)

Even in the vintage classes such as VRRA P4F3 where there is no distinction between two-stroke and four-stroke, the RZ350's have pretty much disappeared. Every time one shows up, I can pretty much count on at least one weekend per season where that bike won't be competitive because it either won't start or is running crappy for whatever reason. The more modded the RZ is, the more likely it is to break down (actually, the same is true of any bike, but the two-strokes seem more finicky about it). The built ones are fast when they work, but it seems to be a fine art to make them work and be fast and stay together.

Want a great turn key modern racebike for under $5000? (if you're a smart shopper you can half that, or more). SV650. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, will teach you more about racing/riding than you will be able process (unless you're an alien) in the first year or two of racing, and when you're done with it, you can usually sell for what you bought it for, or slightly less (depending on how bad you've wadded it up).

The money thing is something often overlooked when most start out. If you blow your wad on the bike, and a **** tonne of "go fast goodies" then have to sit out a few rounds because you don't have money for entry fees, then priorities are all messed up. Buy a cheaper bike, and put money towards tires, gas, and track time (after buying the best quality/fitting gear you can afford). The SV is easier on tires, easier on gas, but will probably cost you more in entries, based solely on the fact that you can almost enter every class with them.
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

Nope. I can't stand watching bike or car races on tv. Reminds me of my scalextric set as a kid. And if I had the cash to go racing I'd rather spend it on flying lessons, my bike gives me some of the sensations I had when flying. I prefer the journey and seeing new things rather than spending my time going round and round in a small part of the world. Having said all that...if it was a lot cheaper and I had the means I'd give it a go once for the experience but it wouldn't matter to me if there were other people there or not.

Looking for some information on what I need to race at shannonville in April, can some one please help me?

Ray

You need to sign up for the RACE school - www.shannonville.com and follow the links (might have to phone them at this point)

You need to have a suitable race-prepped bike that meets all the rules

You need to have full leathers, back protector, boots, gloves, Snell 2010 or ECE 2205 helmet less than 5 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Want a great turn key modern racebike for under $5000?
    Heck, if someone wants my 05 GSX-R 1000 with a lot of go-fast goodies and RACE legal setup, I'll sell it for that.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Heck, if someone wants my 05 GSX-R 1000 with a lot of go-fast goodies and RACE legal setup, I'll sell it for that.
    For most people that would make a less-than-ideal first track/race bike.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    For most people that would make a less-than-ideal first track/race bike.
    It's Joey McRae's old bike. You think?

2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/