Txting an off phone

Thread: Txting an off phone

Txting an off phone

Just wondering if someone texts me while my phone is off, does the txt show up right after I turn my phone on?

Re: Txting an off phone

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    Just wondering if someone texts me while my phone is off, does the txt show up right after I turn my phone on?
    The phone has to handshake with the network and ID itself..then your messages begin to make their way through the queue to your phone. Might take a few minutes. If it's been off for a while, they may get purged on the server due to time-out. Not a cell net engineer but that seems to be how it works from what i can see.

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    The phone has to handshake with the network and ID itself..then your messages begin to make their way through the queue to your phone. Might take a few minutes. If it's been off for a while, they may get purged on the server due to time-out. Not a cell net engineer but that seems to be how it works from what i can see.
    Is that a secret handshake or a normal handshake??
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Depends on the protocol..

'special hand shake'

It's got to be an illuminated handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    Depends on the protocol..
    Like FTP?

F the Police?
    Resident Loudmouth

Like FTP?

F the Police?
    Haha! File Transfer Protocol has a handshake routine.. Cell phones ain't using that though.. They use SMS (short message system)..which uses the SS7 protocol. Here, ya made me go and Wiki it!!

Messages are sent to a Short message service center (SMSC) which provides a "store and forward" mechanism. It attempts to send messages to the SMSC's recipients. If a recipient is not reachable, the SMSC queues the message for later retry.[31] Some SMSCs also provide a "forward and forget" option where transmission is tried only once. Both mobile terminated (MT, for messages sent to a mobile handset) and mobile originating (MO, for those sent from the mobile handset) operations are supported. Message delivery is "best effort", so there are no guarantees that a message will actually be delivered to its recipient, but delay or complete loss of a message is uncommon, typically affecting less than 5% of messages. Some providers allow users to request delivery reports, either via the SMS settings of most modern phones, or by prefixing each message with *0# or *N#. However, the exact meaning of confirmations varies from reaching the network, to being queued for sending, to being sent, to receiving a confirmation of receipt from the target device, and users are often not informed of the specific type of success being reported.
    The key line there is "message delivery is 'best effort'.." So you may get it..you may not!

^^
    Resident Loudmouth