2009 SV650s Front Daytime marker light mod!

Thread: 2009 SV650s Front Daytime marker light mod!

2009 SV650s Front Daytime marker light mod!

Hey all

I want to turn the little (useless) upper corner daytime running marker lights into yellow turning lights. Is it as easy as splicing a wire to the side markers and adding an amber bulb?

I also plan on going flush mount side markers with LED's and I know those will need the relay's.

Any help/tips would be great!

Jer

Re: 2009 SV650s Front Daytime marker light mod!

I am not the one that installed it, but that's exactly what my SV has (the useless daytime lights turned into signals).
    Lemme tell you something, as long as your headlights are on (and obviously they will be), no one will be able to see them, and the flushmounts are only good if you're beside the bike. They project nothing towards the front if you're trying to let someone know you're making a left at an intersection.

Be aware of this if you install these mods, because I don't want any rider to get flattened by another vehicle.

Just thought I would share my personal experience given that I have the exact mod that you want to do to your bike.
    Again, I am not the one that set it up, so I am not sure about the wiring.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Installed these.
    Also added bright 194 bulbs amber.

http://www.customled.com/products/ma...ic_blinker.htm

Bright leds.These work well, amber.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2FWLED-xLX.htm

Also added the flush mounts to get rid of the ugly external signals.
    However, they are pretty useless, that was why I installed the above lights.
    Get more than 2 bulbs, just in case.
    Last edited by cycling; 10-15-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Additional information.

Yes just change bulb and splice the wires. Its that simple. I wouldn't cut the plugs off incase you don't like the mod and want to go back to the running lights. Just leave them on and splice above them, and tape them off so water doesn't get in.
    Twist the throttle, you pussy!!

Be careful if you're using this mod to replace the existing turn signals. Under the HTA safety standard, schedule 6, which covers motorcycles, section 6, subsection 4 a&b, turn signals must be placed "as far apart as practical" to provide differentiation from the headlight and taillight. A mechanic may fail the bike on a safety if the turn signals are too close together. I have worked with mechanics that would.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTrocewicz View Post
    Be careful if you're using this mod to replace the existing turn signals. Under the HTA safety standard, schedule 6, which covers motorcycles, section 6, subsection 4 a&b, turn signals must be placed "as far apart as practical" to provide differentiation from the headlight and taillight. A mechanic may fail the bike on a safety if the turn signals are too close together. I have worked with mechanics that would.
    Good point.
    I wonder then if these mods would fail on the suzuki SV`s in general.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterTrocewicz View Post
    Good point.
    I wonder then if these mods would fail on the suzuki SV`s in general.
    On the front I would think the spacing between them would be ok, as long as they are actually visible when lit. Like i said in my first post on this thread, they are close to the headlights and make it harder to see.
    On the rear though, any type of "integrated lights" would definitely fail this technicality.
    I know my SV would. (it has the turn signals built into the tail lights, alternates red and amber).
    To compensate for this, there are bright LED strips that also blink with the signal on the passenger pegs which are well apart from each other.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jeero View Post
    On the front I would think the spacing between them would be ok, as long as they are actually visible when lit. Like i said in my first post on this thread, they are close to the headlights and make it harder to see.
    On the rear though, any type of "integrated lights" would definitely fail this technicality.
    I know my SV would. (it has the turn signals built into the tail lights, alternates red and amber).
    To compensate for this, there are bright LED strips that also blink with the signal on the passenger pegs which are well apart from each other.
    Thanks for that.
    The indicators in the front are very bright.
    I was thinking of changing my tail lights into the same set up you have.
    However, I have everything on hold at the moment, thinking about a 2012 Triumph Street Triple.
    Sell my SV 1000s is a hard descision.
    Undecided.

Passenger pegs, I was also going to go that route.
    I think somebody in Scarborough offered that option, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling View Post
    Thanks for that.
    The indicators in the front are very bright.
    I was thinking of changing my tail lights into the same set up you have.
    However, I have everything on hold at the moment, thinking about a 2012 Triumph Street Triple.
    Sell my SV 1000s is a hard descision.
    Undecided.

Passenger pegs, I was also going to go that route.
    I think somebody in Scarborough offered that option, nice.
    Thanks for all the info! Really helpful!

I do Want to keep safety in mind but wanted to put those front markers to use. bare minimum I thought about at least changing the stock side markers to smaller LED ones along with the front daytime marker light mod. We'll see what winter brings. Thought about doing it all when I try to instal the angel eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by 09SV650S View Post
    Thanks for all the info! Really helpful!

I do Want to keep safety in mind but wanted to put those front markers to use. bare minimum I thought about at least changing the stock side markers to smaller LED ones along with the front daytime marker light mod. We'll see what winter brings. Thought about doing it all when I try to instal the angel eyes.
    Happy to help.

simple mod, i think im going to help a freind with her SV to do this MOD...