Tablet computer opinions - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tablet computer opinions

Re: Tablet computer opinions

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    you're gonna need a cart just to cart around the electronic... 2 smart phones, 2 tablets, another note book....
    Fits in Carry on luggage and my briefcase just fine as with most business travelers we travel light. I do not take both phone just forward my personal to the work and will use the playbook when I am traveling on business.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    That's tough to say. Without a BB you lose out on a LOT of functionality. On the other hand the browser really is that good.

It would depend on how good the competition is; particularly that new samsung galaxy tablet. In all honesty, though, if it weren't for my bb then i probably would've waited for the right android tablet.
    +1 on the playbook browser, best ive seen on a tablet.. miles ahead of the ipad in this regard. the screen is smaller, so to each its own but i actually prefer the smaller size.

I do use a blackberry, and as such im very happy with the playbook the way it is, but the functionality you are speaking of should be available in the software update comming out later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    I wouldn't mind outputting PowerPoints to a projector occasionally. I have a wireless USB to DVI device that I can use for this but I'm not sure how easy that would be to use in that way with Android OS or any other OS for tablets.
    the playbook has hdmi out for presentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahulk View Post
    For me I would stay with a laptop for business, tablet are for personal use in my view. For me when I travel I take both my laptop and IPAD, laptop for work and IPAD for personal email and web browsing. I have ordered a playbook from RIM as I use a BB for work and Iphone as my personal. With the Playbook I can read and respond to work emails. While I can output from the playbook for presentation I would not be able to control the presentation. Recomend stick with a laptop how about the HP2740P?
    the playbooks presentation mode alows you to not only output and control presentations, you can choose between mirror mode and presentation mode which allows you to multitask, bring up other parts of your presentation or notes while the presentation continues on screen..

I have the Asus T101MT. It's good, has a 250 gb hard drive, 1gb memory.
    http://ca.asus.com/en/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_T101MT/

I've got an exopc. From a Canadian company and it runs full windows7 which was a must for me.

Sent from my Huawei_8100-9 using Tapatalk

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

The thing that appealed to me the most was it's size, but also the blackberry bridge browser app that comes standard on the playbook. It basically allows me to tether my playbook to my blackberry phone so that I can access the internet outside of wifi areas, without incurring additional tethering-related costs. It works pretty good. Obviously it'll vary from place to place but overall, it's quite impressive.
    Can't pretty much any tablet and smartphone combo do this? My 5 year old phone and my current 2 year old phone both support tethering via wifi without incurring additional costs.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Has anyone been able to get a playbopok at the newly discounted prices? $249 at Walmart and $300 at Best Buy/Future Shop 16G?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/09/22/bl...almart-canada/

I assume you can run itunes on a playbook. May get a 32 or 64G if the price has been adjusted like the 16G
    has.
    Last edited by STARSHIP; 10-24-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    Has anyone been able to get a playbopok at the newly discounted prices? $249 at Walmart and $300 at Best Buy/Future Shop 16G?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/09/22/bl...almart-canada/

I assume you can run itunes on a playbook. May get a 32 or 64G if the price has been adjusted like the 16G
    has.
    Check redflagdeals for the playbook thread for updates in availability.

I am narrowing the choice down to a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet (dual digitiser screen for accurate pen and finger use, tons of outlets etc), a galaxy tab 8.9 (when it comes out) or...heaven's above....an iPad2 (if I can jailbreak it and have flash running seamlessly on it).

All of these have some cons though. The Lenovo is fugly and heavy, the Galaxy tab isn't here yet and when it does get here it's probably going to be a Roger's or Bell product plus it requires proprietary attachments for external ports, and the iPad 2 isn't a true multitasker plus it has the same port problem as the Galaxy tab and I'll have to monkey with it a bit more to get the usability I want.

Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    I assume you can run itunes on a playbook.
    I would assume it has it's own media playing program that has nothing to do with Apple. Isn't iTunes the desktop program? Or is it called iTunes on the actual iPod/iPhone/iPad as well? I own nothing Apple so I wouldn't know but am curious.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Can't pretty much any tablet and smartphone combo do this? My 5 year old phone and my current 2 year old phone both support tethering via wifi without incurring additional costs.
    Ya you can tether it but I think you have to buy a tethering plan or whatever. In any case, it almost always induces an extra tethering related cost. I dunno my understanding of that stuff is nonexistent....all I know is that the playbook comes with an app that allows me to bridge my phone to my tablet without costing me extra money!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Been tethering my laptop to my phone via wifi for at least the last two years on occasion. Download a full movie here and there. No extra costs yet. Maybe I'm just lucky. Connected more than one computer at a time a couple times, too.

Been tethering my laptop to my phone via wifi for at least the last two years on occasion. Download a full movie here and there. No extra costs yet. Maybe I'm just lucky. Connected more than one computer at a time a couple times, too.
    LOL like I said I have no f'in clue how that normally works. But it allows me to connect to my BBM through the phone as well. It's pretty good and being able to do it through bluetooth is a nice plus.
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

I think a few phone companies got rid of the tethering charge this year as there was an outcry. It's data whether it comes from the phone or from the thing that's tethering to your phone...so why pay a phantom charge for it?

I would assume it has it's own media playing program that has nothing to do with Apple. Isn't iTunes the desktop program? Or is it called iTunes on the actual iPod/iPhone/iPad as well? I own nothing Apple so I wouldn't know but am curious.
    the playbook does have its own media program, works well and the blackberry desktop software will sync it with your iTunes library among others.

Ya you can tether it but I think you have to buy a tethering plan or whatever. In any case, it almost always induces an extra tethering related cost. I dunno my understanding of that stuff is nonexistent....all I know is that the playbook comes with an app that allows me to bridge my phone to my tablet without costing me extra money!
    LOL like I said I have no f'in clue how that normally works. But it allows me to connect to my BBM through the phone as well. It's pretty good and being able to do it through bluetooth is a nice plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    I think a few phone companies got rid of the tethering charge this year as there was an outcry. It's data whether it comes from the phone or from the thing that's tethering to your phone...so why pay a phantom charge for it?
    Some companies charge for tethering, some don't as long as you stay within your allotment, some don't even have it available, others still included it on certain plans but block it on others. the playbook will tether, be it with a blackberry or with any other phone, but bridge is different.

Its like tethering, but its not. It doesn't open a port like tethering does and consume mad amounts of data. It "bridges" itself to the blackberry smart phone and allows you to utilize the larger screen both to access phone features (BBM, email, calander etc) and browse the internet, but it presents itself to the internet as the phone, and consumes data at the rate the phone would (which for a blackberry is very little). Its not quite as fast a connection, but it will save you boat loads on data charges by keeping well under your allotment and for those on a plan or carrier that doesn't allow tethering it bypasses this restriction. If you want the extra speed and aren't concerned about the data consumption, it has the option to tether as well.
    Last edited by just_luc; 10-24-2011 at 04:20 PM.

^^Now there's a guy who knows what he's talking about. Well said.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter