Anyone headed to Renovo Oct 20/21or22?

Thread: Anyone headed to Renovo Oct 20/21or22?

Anyone headed to Renovo Oct 20/21or22?

Looking to run up to Renovo for a 2-day trip, likely Friday - Saturday (Oct 20-21), as it look like a nice weather window, before weather turns to slush.

Planning for 700-800K/day, very brisk, open to route suggestions if you have experience in the area. Looking to overnight in Lock Heaven or Forksville.

Anyone interested? So far it's just 2 of us headed up.

Re: Anyone headed to Renovo Oct 20/21or22?

If you're gonna be spirited I suggest taking 144, as you head south on 44/144, from coudersport. You're better off on 144, rather than 44, as the pavement is real nice. The last stretch of 144, tamarack rd, is a real treat with fast sweeping turns the whole way. 44 is a more scenice route, though the quality of the tarmac doesn't compare to 144.

Rotten_ronnie, who's posted in other threads here, also recommended taking 872 down as an alternate route. I didn't get a chance to try it out, but it should be fun since the other detours he suggested were fantastic.

edit: I stayed at the budget inn at Wellsville,NY for 55 + tax a nite. It's about 30 mins from Galeton where 144 begins.
    Last edited by kiterider; 10-12-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Kiterider, thank you for the feedback, i will clarify though that by brisk i was referring to 'very brisk on tight, technical roads' i'm not a fan of more than 150K on public roads, which is what it looks like will be required to really enjoy 44/144... it's like trying to drag a knee on the 507

That said it may be a good road back, when we are largely tired out and looking to enjoy the scenery.

Still more suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by gqelements; 10-12-2011 at 08:58 PM.

'very brisk on tight, technical roads' i'm not a fan of more than 150K on public roads

Soo, just what roads are tight and technical down around renovo exactly? Sounds like you guys want a track and not a public road....

We based ourselves in Galeton for 2 nights and did start on 144/44 and then many nice roads. I do not have the exact route but see below

many roads on the menu. http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/pa.html

The great thing was the lack of traffic and the road conditions are excellent.

Enjoy, still have not found a replacement bike.
    Ride Safe.....

http://www.motowhere.com/

2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Faster Silver) -SOLD

Looking for a Ducati Monster, BMW R1200R or 2008 Gen 2 FZ1

PM if you have one for sale.

http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/...2-turkeys.html

My route is available at the link above.

144/44 is as tight as you want to make it. Higher speeds will give you a pucker factor, or treat it like a lazy day on the 507. Your call.

Visit Hyner view state park, the lookout is spectacular.

My route through the Alleghany state park on 321 was very entertaining.

Route 120 had quite a bit of traffic, but no problem passing cars when I was in the mood.

Lock Haven was booked solid due to a football game in the area, so we retraced our route back to Renovo to stay at Yesterdays.

I avoided 62 and 219 for the most part, and quite enjoyed the ride, and only goofed on one gravel road that my riding partner could't do on her Katana.

Hopefully you'll have some good weather for the trip.

I've a gpx with waypoints routes and tracks if you'd like.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
    Kiterider, thank you for the feedback, i will clarify though that by brisk i was referring to 'very brisk on tight, technical roads' i'm not a fan of more than 150K on public roads, which is what it looks like will be required to really enjoy 44/144... it's like trying to drag a knee on the 507

That said it may be a good road back, when we are largely tired out and looking to enjoy the scenery.

Still more suggestions welcome!
    The entire 44/144 stretch is marked at 45mph. An like rotten_ronnie mentioned, the *** pucker factor will be high especially if you try to take the 25/35 mph rated corners at anywhere close to 150k. You will definitely have to be leaned over quite far and probably dragging your knee, to take the corners at anything over 80 mph. The asphalt on 144 is way better than the 507, and so are the corners. If I recall correctly, most of the fast sweepers, especially on tamarack rd about 10-20 miles before renovo, come in pairs; a left then a quick right and vice versa.

As mentioned, if you want a spirited ride stay on the 144, as the roads are a bit wider and way better in quality than 44. most of fun part of 44 is a bit narrow and there's really no shoulder, unless you want to count gravel as a shoulder. There are some tighter turns on 44 but the quality of the road is a bit suspect. On my way south on the 44, after meeting up with Ron and Dee, I saw a tree branch covering the entire oncoming lane (heading north on 44) right after a tight 25 mph corner. Anyone was coming down that turn at anything over 50mph could've been in serious trouble; see keep your eyes peeled.

Have a safe trip!

I have to agree - we had a lot of fun on 144 racing the dark home and you really had to haul down on the tight corners but the roads were terrific and that was exhilarating and fortunately no deer. Burned down a lot brake pad - damn Burgman is heavy.

I do love some of the winding secondary roads
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    I have to agree - we had a lot of fun on 144 racing the dark home and you really had to haul down on the tight corners but the roads were terrific and that was exhilarating and fortunately no deer. Burned down a lot brake pad - damn Burgman is heavy.

I do love some of the winding secondary roads
    Macdoc - Sort of off topic. But I see a lot of nice twisties in the kawartha area (on google maps) and I do ride with friends that live in Peterborough. Do they have anything similar to 144 in that area or even the Muskokas? I'm personally not a big fan of the 507, but some stretches of 118 and it's offshoots are pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by kiterider View Post
    ...Rotten_ronnie, who's posted in other threads here, also recommended taking 872 down as an alternate route....
    I second his recommendation. 872 is a wonderful ride and make sure you stop at Austin. Head into the town and explore the ice cream shop - excellent pictures of Austin during the flood that destroyed the town. Ensure you take some time to inspect the dam that broke - great place for pictures.

If you are inclined, there is quite a story about this town and it's all well documented on the net. From Austin, south to Hwy 120, a beautiful ride. It's also a good place to stop and talk to some fishermen... jus yaking about the area. In the last two years, an Amish family has moved in west of the river. It's amazing how they have transformed the parcel of land in a year.

Guess I won't be down there again until next May or June. Looking forward to it... as I always do.
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

KT
    Still exploring Ontario mid north - 507 was okay - nothing like the real twisties of PA or Adirondacks- just nice sweepers and too many cars. I tend to like more technical with elevation changes and need for braking and acceleration rather than the big sweepers which are good for scenic drives.
    The narrower and more elevation change the better for fun even if the average pace is low.

My best mix is empty of traffic, a mix of technical and sweeps and even some narrow winding rural roads across the farmland as well. PA seems to have lots but I tend to ride away from the weekends - hate traffic of any sort.

I suspect Kawartha/mid north Ontario and mid North Quebec have gems to be discovered.
    We need a single thread with good roads for each region. Hard to do in an organized way.

Nor do I know PA well enough beyond I'd sure want to do more....there are some incredible roads and we generally just sort of wandered which can be well rewarded there.
    Where ever there are elevation changes and rural there are bound to be good riding roads.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by mototrek View Post
    I second his recommendation. 872 is a wonderful ride and make sure you stop at Austin. Head into the town and explore the ice cream shop - excellent pictures of Austin during the flood that destroyed the town. Ensure you take some time to inspect the dam that broke - great place for pictures.

If you are inclined, there is quite a story about this town and it's all well documented on the net. From Austin, south to Hwy 120, a beautiful ride. It's also a good place to stop and talk to some fishermen... jus yaking about the area. In the last two years, an Amish family has moved in west of the river. It's amazing how they have transformed the parcel of land in a year.

Guess I won't be down there again until next May or June. Looking forward to it... as I always do.
    Last time I was on 872 I passed a dam that was devoid of water. It was a puzzle to me. Is that the dam that broke?
    Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    Last time I was on 872 I passed a dam that was devoid of water. It was a puzzle to me. Is that the dam that broke?
    Yuppers - That's it. Quite a well documented story. Same as the old paper mill, the ruins of which still remain.
    http://www.coudy.com/Austin/Austin.htm
    Pk! (aka mototrek)

gqelements, nice running into you guys on the QEW then again in Renovo!!! going to take a quick nap first... will upload pic later

I second Ronnie on Yesterday's. Convenient place to stay. Originally was going to hit Lock Haven for the Best Western, but it was booked solid for Saturday night.

Yesterdays was great, for sure a place to stay next time.

I think Moosio has some pics as well, lets see what he uploads.

Good running into fellow GTAM'ers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4187.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	27080