Kids on the back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids on the back?

Kids on the back?

Ok, is there any set law? Do they just need to touch the pegs?
    I think there was a thread a long time ago but can't find it.
    riding a moped is like having sex with a fat chick.
    sure it may be fun, but you don't want your friends to find out

00 ZX12R

Re: Kids on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by SXE MX6 View Post
    Ok, is there any set law? Do they just need to touch the pegs?
    I think there was a thread a long time ago but can't find it.
    My understanding is they need to touch the pegs. A few family members are police officers, and thats what they have said. Not sure if its a hard and fast rule or something up to the officers discretion on whats safe or not.

Pretty sure the requirement is feet on pegs. A couple years ago, some lady was trying to push through a change to set the legal age for passengers to 14, but I don't think it went through. The irony with the feet on pegs requirement is that the least accommodating bikes (i.e. sport bikes) have the shortest reach, and the safest / most accommodating (i.e. goldwings and the like) have the longest reach.
    It's up to the parent to decide whether their child will be a safe passenger regardless of the feet on pegs legal requirement.
    Last edited by beverage; 03-14-2012 at 10:36 AM.

I knew a guy who used to ride his kid around in front of him on the bike. He installed a set of long 4 inch bolts on the frame somewhere for his kids feet and had it checked out by a police officer and he was told that as long as the kid could rest his feet on the bolts it would be legal. Personally I think he was cracked, but to each their own. If I were taking a child on my bike I would invest in a "buddy belt". It is litterally a belt you wear over your riding jacket with two hand loops for your passenger to be able to get a firm grasp on while riding. Much more useful than trying to hold on to your love handles (especially hard for small hands) or trying to hold on the the awkwardly placed grab handles on most motorcycles.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_900596_e.htm

No person shall be carried as a passenger on a motorcycle operated on a highway except, (a) in a side car designed to carry a passenger; or
    (b) subject to subsection (3), on a seat that is situated to the rear of the seat provided for the operator and that is securely fastened to the motorcycle, which shall be equipped with foot rests for the passenger. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 10 (2).
    (3) A person who is a passenger on a motorcycle operated on a highway and who is occupying the seat referred to in clause (2) (b) shall sit astride the seat in such a manner that his or her feet are placed upon the foot rests referred to in clause (2) (b). R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 596, s. 10 (3).
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Okay, you better be sitting down for this one. Back in the '80s I knew a guy who used to get up on a Sunday morning and smoke a couple of joints, then him and the wife AND the kid would take off to Niagara Falls on his 1976 yamaha 650. They had a chrome lugage rack on the back of the bike that they put a booster seat on for the kid.
    When you want something done in the worst way, that's usually the way it is implimented... in the worst way.

Must have a proper fitting helmet too folks. Fit might not be regulated by law but as someone who loves kids.... that would be my second requirement.

I grew up on the back of my dads bike. Used to wear my moms helmet with a toque underneath. Pretty sure that wasnt safe.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Used to wear my moms helmet with a toque underneath. Pretty sure that wasnt safe.

True.......

I mean look what happened to Simoncelli.
    And no I didn't put that to joke around either......

00 ZX12R

And thanks to all who chimed in. My son is 7 this summer (and very tall for his age), and would love to go for a ride on my zx12.
    Obviously it would be a short trip, and I wouldn't be doing anything stupid.
    And yes, he will have a proper fitted helmet, as well as gear, and be told how to hold on, and what will happen in a lean, etc.....

Thanks for the heads up on the "buddy belt"

00 ZX12R

I think a healthy dose of common sense would go a long way here..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    I think a healthy dose of common sense would go a long way here..
    Agreed but you'd be surprised at how uncommon, commen sense really is.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Who needs foot pegs?

Not to hijack, but how about a kid in side car and one on the back? And about the side car, what are the laws pertaining to that?
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SXE MX6 View Post
    And thanks to all who chimed in. My son is 7 this summer (and very tall for his age), and would love to go for a ride on my zx12.
    Obviously it would be a short trip, and I wouldn't be doing anything stupid.
    And yes, he will have a proper fitted helmet, as well as gear, and be told how to hold on, and what will happen in a lean, etc.....

Thanks for the heads up on the "buddy belt"

Buddy belt is a good idea although I haven't actually got one. I see them come and go. I have no problem with my 13 or 9 year old on the back and they both have been on the back for the last couple of years.

One thing to consider is them falling asleep. The 13 year old, I never worry about but, the 9 year tends to nod off. I keep the rides short with her and find places that keep her entertained. But, I will seriously look for a buddy belt or something to secure her better to me in the event of her falling asleep.

Just food for thought.

Cheers.

^^^ That's what I've heard is the worst problem acutally is the kid dozing off then falling off the back or side. The buddy belt is a good idea but there is also a harness you can get the goes around you and the kid so the kid doesn't have to use their own strength to hold on. My neighbour uses that but again I wouldn't recommend long rides at all. I have two young kids and am looking forward to their first rides.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    His: 2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R [ZG touring screen - smoke, Woodcraft frame sliders, silver passenger grab handles]
    Hers: 2007 Black Honda CBR125R (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dodes View Post
    ^^^ That's what I've heard is the worst problem acutally is the kid dozing off then falling off the back or side. The buddy belt is a good idea but there is also a harness you can get the goes around you and the kid so the kid doesn't have to use their own strength to hold on. My neighbour uses that but again I wouldn't recommend long rides at all. I have two young kids and am looking forward to their first rides.
    My dad used to strap me down to the bike with a belt. Granted he had a backrest which was the point I was belted to. And it was a fully dressed xs1100 with hard bags and engine guards. He dropped the bike once and I had minor scratches.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

I know all about falling asleep...... Did that on my dads old Goldwing when I was a kid.
    Thank God I didn't fall off. I never hung onto him, so he did't know I fell asleep. And it wasn't a really long ride either.
    Again, I'm not talking about anything far right now. Like up and down the road till he gets alot older. I just want him to get the feel of it.
    Heck, I remember riding when I was really small on the front of my dads bike holding onto the tank. We never went far, but got me comfortable to how the bike handled.

00 ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    One thing to consider is them falling asleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dodes View Post
    The buddy belt is a good idea but there is also a harness you can get the goes around you and the kid so the kid doesn't have to use their own strength to hold on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    My dad used to strap me down to the bike with a belt. Granted he had a backrest which was the point I was belted to. And it was a fully dressed xs1100 with hard bags and engine guards. He dropped the bike once and I had minor scratches.
    Maybe I'm over protective but I'd be concerned about;
    - not having the strength to hold on when you really need to (not that you'd be riding that way, but something could go wrong)
    - falling asleep
    - being attached to the rider or the bike; should the bike / rider go down, I'd rather a kid be thrown clear.

At any rate, I don't see my 6 year old son riding on the back of my bike for a LONG time (although I don't like passengers anyway) and to that end he and I both have dirt bikes and we go riding together.

falling asleep is a real concern. My Dad used to ride with a guy who's first wife had died that way. He had a harley with no backrest and went to ask her a question at a stop light and she wasn't there. He never felt anything. I can't imagine how horrible that would be. I know that he had a version of the buddy belt for his second wife that connected his Wife to him somehow so that in the event of her falling asleep, she wouldn't be able to fall off. Would provide good piece of mind if nothing else.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

This is going to be my 3rd season with my son (now 11) on the passenger seat. He can hold the side bars of his seat no problem, and when he needs a bit of a variety he rests his hands on my shoulder. Buddy belt would come handy, never got to the point of buying one.

The longest ride we did together was 780 kms and he loved it. Falling asleep is not an issue, he gets enough adrenalin rush from riding. Even without doing stupid tricks which I don't do anyways.
    Flat black '08 DL650A