Speed Limiter Debate

Thread: Speed Limiter Debate

• Display

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Speed Limiter Debate

Quote Originally Posted by toybm View Post
    One high end car in Japan (Skyline GTR) has IIRC a speed limiter that is deactivated when you pull up to local race tracks, all through software and onboard GPS. And unlike NA cars retuning a Japanese market ecu is not a simple plug and play, possible but certainly not a simple affair.
    Actually it's easy to open source tune any JDM ECU. If you can connect something like a Tactrix cable to a car and a laptop you can change almost anything in Nissan/Toyota/Mazda/Subaru/Mitsu etc.

read ----> http://openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

There are many other companies that offer the same simple setup and software. You have to be somewhat knowledgeable about the subject if you are going to start messing with fuel and boost maps but to simply lift the limiter.... it's **** simple.

Considering Japan is already "factory speed limited" and you can see how many cars there run to 200 MPH on the Wangan you shouldn't think otherwise.

Even if the ECU's were hackproofed ( not that there is such thing) you could do it old school with a speed healer and a secondary digital speedo to show true speed.

I really doubt the manufacturers want to reduce speed or acceleration in their sport car lines. What would the selling point of a car that does 0-60 in ten seconds and tops out at 150 KPH be?

If this did happen and you needed a way around it it would probably be about $100 and an hour of your time.

Personally I run SAEMS in all my cars so the entire ECU goes in the garbage and I set my own multiple maps anyway.
    Last edited by D23; 10-14-2011 at 12:42 PM.