Bought a 2004 cbr600rr and got PLAYED - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a 2004 cbr600rr and got PLAYED

Re: Bought a 2004 cbr600rr and got PLAYED

You wanna ditch a bike because it needs a new chain and sprockets?

Buddy that's nothing... buy the parts and ask for someone on this forum for help with the installation. Or go see Stunters Inc (johnnyp636 here) and they'll sort you out for a lot less than $1000.

OR, post a pic (closeup) of the chain and sprockets, maybe you don't need to replace them at all and the shop was exaggerating.

Sorry about the missfortune but a Great choice in bike. This is the reason I bought new (being motorcycle mechanically noobish) and have all maintenance records from day1 for the my 2009 cbr 600rr I am selling in the for sale section . However new tire this coming Friday just as happy keeping it.
    Call it a plug

Quote Originally Posted by VicRR View Post
    Sorry about the missfortune but a Great choice in bike. This is the reason I bought new (being motorcycle mechanically noobish) and have all maintenance records from day1 for the my 2009 cbr 600rr I am selling in the for sale section . However new tire this coming Friday just as happy keeping it.
    Call it a plug
    LoL... you mean the '09 with 16,000 + KM's for $10,500?... Good luck selling it!!
    Mina

^ lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    LoL... you mean the '09 with 16,000 + KM's for $10,500?... Good luck selling it!!
    -_- it's not his fault. It's just the way Canada is.

I was at Ted's the other day and one of the workers were bitching about how people come and try to bargain for an already cheap price (cost me 200 for a new tire and install, took one hour, I even made it on time class, other places would have cost 300+ and taken a week or two).

I also bought my GS500F for 3,800 with a bunch of things modded; not realizing **** because I was newbie during June (and still kinda am). I'll be selling the thing for 2800 next year so everyone who wants to buy a Ninja 250 will go wtf and buy mine instead.

^ He's probably only asking for $10.5K because it's the end of the season, come spring time it should sell for an easy $13k+
    Mina

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TFFmarvel View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, who is Johnny though?
    Some say he's a legend, others will say he's just a hoodlum riding around on one wheel on his kawk-asaki...

Banned

lol

^ He's probably only asking for $10.5K because it's the end of the season, come spring time it should sell for an easy $13k+
    ...isn't 13k the same as buying new? =/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    well actually you could get the same bike but a year or two newer brand spankin new with 0 km for the same price lol

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    Yeah, so?
    It's a stunning black/green color combination, it's a low vin# which makes it a collector's item and dude... it's a 1 owner.
    Mina

Banned

Yeah, so?
    It's a stunning black/green color combination, it's a low vin# which makes it a collector's item and dude... it's a 1 owner.
    I'll take 3

Quote Originally Posted by TFFmarvel View Post
    Its not cosmetic damage, I have to replace the forks, get a new chain, fix the bent handle bar. If it were cosmetic I would have either not gotten the bike or paid more attention to what could have happened to the bike with the previous owner. I know I'm limited in what I can do, but like I said, I'm pretty new a this stuff so maybe there is a better option that I'm not aware of before I go and fix all things things up and spend money I don't have.
    Did that mechanic take off the forks to check them? Unless there's a major bend or kink in them, there's no reliable way to determine if they need replacing. Even then tubes can be replaced or straightened. And if he seals are leaking, those an be fixed too with a fork rebuild. Only if you're made of money you just replace forks. It could be something as simple as the forks being tweaked in the triple tree.

Same goes for the bent handle bar. You can ride the bike indefinitely with a bent handle bar if it doesn't bother you. I did it on my old RZ350 for a whole year.

Nothing can be done about the worn chain, but I find it odd that the mechanic did not mention the sprockets. If the chain is worn and stretched, every unpreputable bike shop will try and sell you a set of sprockets as well.

I am surprised that nobody caught this:

the exhaust was a bit mushed up (which he told me was most likely from wheeling on the bike)
    What does that even mean? Wheeling bikes without dropping them wears out fork seals, steering head bearings, the chain and sprockets as far as I know. The exhaust only comes into play if you drop the bike on that side...

Seriously, go look for a second opinion. Johnny offered his help, and while I don't know him personally, other people here do and trust him. You already sunk the money into the bike, make sure you want to get rid of it at a loss.

Hope you get it running like new again soon!

Yeah, so?

Quote Originally Posted by Dohhh View Post
    Some say he's a legend, others will say he's just a hoodlum riding around on one wheel on his kawk-asaki...
    Maybe a legend for talking **** on GTAM......I just like to help people with bikes......Ask anyone that has actually dealt with me in person, Im very helpful and I work cheap. Ive helped people in the exact same situation, even with the exact same bike....A girl friend of mine bought an 04 600RR a few seasons ago, unknowingly it had a bent front rotor....Shops were quoting her $600 for a new rotor, I sourced and installed a straight used one for $80. Some were even telling here the pulsing in the brake lever was the master cylinder, and she would need a new one also...BS!

Along with some other small fix ups she was on the road for %20 of what local shops were going to charge her...That is the kind of savings most people will experience with me...

dude the bike is fine...chain and sprockets can be had for under 200$ and you can install em yourself in an hour.

as for the scratches? that doesnt effect the performance of the bike.

the mechanic's numbers are realistic, he needs the buy the parts and also charge for his labour.

so what do you do?

Ride it, buy the parts bit by bit when you get cash. Scour ebay for the right side fairing if it bothers you that much.

the price you payed is totally fair given the condition.

dont worry about a thing...the bike sounds fine.
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

You can ride a bike with a bent clip on and scratches. Ride the bike to Johnny or Rosey Toes and end this thread. There is no issue here, besides the fact that your mechanic is trying to make you paranoid and spend all your money with him.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul900rr View Post
    Go see JohnnyP636...
    What He said /\
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    You can ride a bike with a bent clip on and scratches. Ride the bike to Johnny or Rosey Toes and end this thread. There is no issue here, besides the fact that your mechanic is trying to make you paranoid and spend all your money with him.
    +1

Keep in mind most shops will quote you with only brand new parts, unless they have a strong relationship with you most will not source used parts for you. And some will even refuse to install used parts....OEM parts prices are crazy for things like forks, going used can save you a **** ton!

Example if he needs the left side clip-on that is bent, its about $100 from Honda, but I have one for $20 if its the left side he needs