Bought a 2004 cbr600rr and got PLAYED

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a 2004 cbr600rr and got PLAYED

Bought a 2004 cbr600rr and got PLAYED

So I found a beautiful 2004 cbr600rr on Kijiji out in Kitchener (I'm from Toronto) and I immediately jumped on the deal. The bike looked great, had a few mods, LED turn signals, fender eliminator kit, hindle exhaust, new brakes, pretty much new tires and a few other things. I got all this for $4750 which I thought was a decent for what I was getting. I went to Kitchener to check out the bike and took it for a ride and left a deposit, everything seemed ok, but I'm a real newbie when it comes to bikes (I know my basic stuff).
    I went to the mechanic today to get it safety certified and the mechanic told me it had a few major issues. First thing, the bike had been laid down (I should have seen the scratches on the right passenger peg) the exhaust was a bit mushed up (which he told me was most likely from wheeling on the bike) the chain and sprockets need to be replaced and the best one was that the front right was damaged and needs to be replaced too. There are some other minor things but those are the major ones. He told me I was looking at about $1000 worth of repairs. I don't have that kind of cash to be spending on the bike!!!!

I'm looking over my options and thinking what I should do. One option is to buy the parts I need and maybe sell the bike and suck up not having a bike for awhile (not really a good option, but considering it). Another option is to try and sell the bike as it and hope to salvage most of what I paid for it (of course I wouldn't lie like that last ******* did to me). Since I'm really new at this bike scene, maybe someone out there has been through something similar or can think of a better option to save as much money as I can and have a bike still.

Thanks

Re: Bought a 2004 cbr600rr and got PLAYED

Quote Originally Posted by TFFmarvel View Post
    So I found a beautiful 2004 cbr600rr on Kijiji out in Kitchener (I'm from Toronto) and I immediately jumped on the deal. The bike looked great, had a few mods, LED turn signals, fender eliminator kit, hindle exhaust, new brakes, pretty much new tires and a few other things. I got all this for $4750 which I thought was a decent for what I was getting. I went to Kitchener to check out the bike and took it for a ride and left a deposit, everything seemed ok, but I'm a real newbie when it comes to bikes (I know my basic stuff).
    I went to the mechanic today to get it safety certified and the mechanic told me it had a few major issues. First thing, the bike had been laid down (I should have seen the scratches on the right passenger peg) the exhaust was a bit mushed up (which he told me was most likely from wheeling on the bike) the chain and sprockets need to be replaced and the best one was that the front right was damaged and needs to be replaced too. There are some other minor things but those are the major ones. He told me I was looking at about $1000 worth of repairs. I don't have that kind of cash to be spending on the bike!!!!

I'm looking over my options and thinking what I should do. One option is to buy the parts I need and maybe sell the bike and suck up not having a bike for awhile (not really a good option, but considering it). Another option is to try and sell the bike as it and hope to salvage most of what I paid for it (of course I wouldn't lie like that last ******* did to me). Since I'm really new at this bike scene, maybe someone out there has been through something similar or can think of a better option to save as much money as I can and have a bike still.

Thanks
    aside from the chain/sprockets, is it just cosmetic scratches? who cares. ride the damn thing.

Wearable parts are things to consider when buying used. Condition of tires, brakes, chain, rust spots, etc etc.

Caveat Emptor.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

ill give ya 3500 Live and learn my friend. I bet you wont be duped again!!!!! btw the 3500 stands

Seasons almost over(for most people) anyways. Why not buy the parts over winter, instead of all at once to make it easier on the old wallet.
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Current
    2004 Suzuki GS500F - Sold

Thanks
    Sounds like the mechanic is making good off the fact your inexperienced.....Im sure you can fix the issues needed for it to pass a safety without spending $1000...PM me if your interested, if you can get the bike to me I can help you get it on the road cheap...

Its common for a shop to give you a huge list of parts when you go for a safety, that is how they "get you"....You go in for a $60 safety but leave with a $1000+ bill for things you may not really need....

Dont get me wrong it may "need" some parts but you should get a 2nd opinion

Its not cosmetic damage, I have to replace the forks, get a new chain, fix the bent handle bar. If it were cosmetic I would have either not gotten the bike or paid more attention to what could have happened to the bike with the previous owner. I know I'm limited in what I can do, but like I said, I'm pretty new a this stuff so maybe there is a better option that I'm not aware of before I go and fix all things things up and spend money I don't have.

Go see JohnnyP636...

You paid almost 5,000 for a 2004 CBR?

You are right, you did get played.

Banned

take it to rosey toes

You state its not cosmetic damage - you need to get these thingss fixed, but your basing this all on what your mechanic is saying. (unless this mechanic has been working for you and your family for decades and can be truly trusted) I say follow the advice of JohnnyP, get a second opinion. And take one step at a time.

As well, if JohnnyP is being nice enough to offer some assistance, you might want to take him up on this. (if you can get your bike there)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul900rr View Post
    Go see JohnnyP636...
    /end thread

Thanks for the info guys, who is Johnny though?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul900rr View Post
    Go see JohnnyP636...
    +1...
    Mina

Dont know Johnny, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I can vouch for Rosey Toes as well. They won't come off as the nicest guys in the world if you're a girl (my gf...does not like the shop lol) but they know their stuff and they won't tell you to change things unless you really have to. The only thing they told me to change was my tire...which I knew was almost bald!

(Now if **** starts falling apart I'm gonna take back my statement).

Its not cosmetic damage, I have to replace the forks, get a new chain, fix the bent handle bar. If it were cosmetic I would have either not gotten the bike or paid more attention to what could have happened to the bike with the previous owner. I know I'm limited in what I can do, but like I said, I'm pretty new a this stuff so maybe there is a better option that I'm not aware of before I go and fix all things things up and spend money I don't have.
    You said one fork in your original post, but didn't specify the actual problem with it. A new chain and sprockets is normal wear and tear replacement stuff. From the sound of the minor scratches and a bent clip-on, it had a little lowside. Nothing "major" like you're making it out to be. You didn't get "PLAYED." You bought an 8-year-old bike that's been ridden and had a down. Big deal.

And you can replace those little things yourself and save yourself the labour fees. Just buy the parts.

+1 for JohnnyP636. Great guy to deal with. He chopped my Yosh TRC exhaust for me.

http://www.stuntersinc.ca/
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Current
    2004 Suzuki GS500F - Sold

jonnyp636, he responded on this thread. He knows bikes better than most and will be pretty straight up with you.

there are some other options, but I call into question your searching skills. You would be hard pressed to find someone more suitable for your needs than jonny

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamT View Post
    take it to rosey toes
    Toysforboys strikes again. Definately take it there, he's your best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    You paid almost 5,000 for a 2004 CBR?

You are right, you did get played.
    It's a damn shame, that, on a forum where apparently we share 2 wheeled enthusiasm and an assumed level of camaraderie, some people are so quick to boot a fellow rider when they're down. Consider yourself added to my list of ignores. :roll eyes:

4077 posts of flotsam..