Mapping tools/program

Thread: Mapping tools/program

Question Mapping tools/program

Anyone have any recommendations on a computer mapping tool to plan trips?
    I have always used google maps but it is very slow and not very reliable (i.e. I have no idea how to edit a "line" on a map once I created one).

Cheers,

Re: Mapping tools/program

I use bing.com/maps as I find it far more user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by rider1106 View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations on a computer mapping tool to plan trips?
    I have always used google maps but it is very slow and not very reliable (i.e. I have no idea how to edit a "line" on a map once I created one).

Cheers,
    In Google maps, create your start point and end point then drag the line anywhere you want.

As for computer software, I use Mapsource.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

I use Microsoft Streets & Trips on the computer and then export directly to my Garmin as a .gpx file which the Garmin can then turn into my route. This works extremely well. On multiple day trips I always have my netbook with me so if I change my plans I can edit the route on Streets & Trips then reload into the Garmin which can all be done offline with no internet connection.

I often use Google Maps online to do some pre-planning / browsing of potential routes, but once I get a basic idea of what route I will take I perfect it in Streets & Trips.

Thats my recommendation to a tee right down to taking my netbook on trips lol
    Quote Originally Posted by pnosko View Post
    I use Microsoft Streets & Trips on the computer and then export directly to my Garmin as a .gpx file which the Garmin can then turn into my route. This works extremely well. On multiple day trips I always have my netbook with me so if I change my plans I can edit the route on Streets & Trips then reload into the Garmin which can all be done offline with no internet connection.

I often use Google Maps online to do some pre-planning / browsing of potential routes, but once I get a basic idea of what route I will take I perfect it in Streets & Trips.

Quote Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
    Thats my recommendation to a tee right down to taking my netbook on trips lol
    I like this. Doe the software come preloaded with POI's such as gas stations?

I actually really like Google Maps for planning a trip, just wish there was an easy way to export to gpx. Surprisingly Harley of all companies has a very good mapping app on their web site, just google Harley ride planner. Almost as good as google maps, but a little clunkier, however you can export to gpx straight off the site.
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 - 80k km and counting

I use motowhere as per my signature below. I find it very easy to use compared with google.
    Ride Safe.....

http://www.motowhere.com/

2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Faster Silver) -SOLD

Looking for a Ducati Monster, BMW R1200R or 2008 Gen 2 FZ1

PM if you have one for sale.

Thanks for the tip - this should be put up in the sticky

http://www.motowhere.com/listpaths/srchkey/ontario
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    I use motowhere as per my signature below. I find it very easy to use compared with google.
    Thanks, will keep this one in mind!

Starship, perhaps you can help me a bit with the Motowhere.
    Once I have created a map, I am ready to load it into my GPS, how do I do that?
    I clicked on "import File" then it says I need to get a .gpx file.Is that a program I need to download to make Motowhere work?
    I am not that good with computers.
    I have been using the Harley Ride Planner as theres no need to worry about .gpx files,, but I still would like to know how Motowhere works.

Once you have save your route, click on share and then download .GPX and it creates the file. You still need to use your Nav software or something else to load it into the nav.

Well, google makes it pretty easy to collaborate, and the view/zoom feature along with the terrain maps I find exceptional, so here's how I plan a route and load it into my gps:

Google maps using the get directions feature I create something like this:

And share the google link to all parties until we all agree on a route, then I take it and at the bottom of the left hand column, save it and "Create new map".

When I go to my maps, it's available as a download as a KML file, then I use www.gpsvisualizer.com to convert it to a gpx, download and import it into Mapsource to do final tweaking and then share out the GDB file to all the participants. Every city or destination you used to shape the route will become a waypoint in the end product, so use them strategically to alter your route rather than "dragging" the blue line, that will create an awesome track, but then you'll need to really tweak the route to make something out of it in Mapsource.

Routing you have to do manually, but the tracks are excellent and need minor tweaks, and if you ride offroad, then you'll love the tracks you get from this method. I'd happily follow a blue line of my proposed route, then to trust the auto-routing adventure seeking adlibbing tendency of my Garmin.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca