Wait on Lean to clear on bike? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wait on Lean to clear on bike?

Re: Wait on Lean to clear on bike?

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Will check with local Kawi and think about whether I want this bike or not.

I'm just trying to piece the story together, if not just as an intellectual exercise. I don't see any signs of scam other than inconvenience. Scammers try to make everything easy and buttery smooth with lies. But he told me out the gate the bike has a lien and it would take time to transfer over. He didn't have to give the full story. He would also just go with whatever price I offered, in order to get rid of this problem bike. He was pretty firm at a price (not my asking price).
    Last edited by architect; 10-08-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Seller should have a UVIP (used vehicle info package). It is supposed to list all liens. Does he have it? Get all info from seller on the Kawi account and call them yourself. Tell them you are interested in buying the bike, and ask what do you have to do to clear the lien, and what proof they can send you and when you will receive it. Stop by the license bureau to find out what proof of clearing the lien you need (if any). Don't give the seller ANY money. There are a LOT of bikes for sale out there. Check out Kijiji.

Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Will check with local Kawi and think about whether I want this bike or not.

I'm just trying to piece the story together, if not just as an intellectual exercise. I don't see any signs of scam other than inconvenience. Scammers try to make everything easy and buttery smooth with lies. But he told me out the gate the bike has a lien and it would take time to transfer over. He didn't have to give the full story. He would also just go with whatever price I offered, in order to get rid of this problem bike. He was pretty firm at a price (not my asking price).
    It sounds like you guys are playing chess. Who will outsmart who?

Like it was already mentioned, the only way I'd do something like this is by paying money directly to the lien holder. The bank/finance company will tell you they can't speak with you unless they get permission from the debtor. If he really wants to get rid of the debt/bike he will give you permission. And make sure you check out and ph# he provides.

I don't think there is any chess. He gave me the situation and price. He's okay with me walking away from this. The listing is from Kijiji.

End of the day your taking a risk. Why? So you can get a yellow bike? Not worth it for me. I would just move on. IMO

There are 4 500cc Yellow Kawi's on kijiji right now all 2007
    http://ontario.kijiji.ca/f-cars-vehi...wskiQQCatIdZ30

Quote Originally Posted by cknowles View Post
    There are 4 500cc Yellow Kawi's on kijiji right now all 2007
    http://ontario.kijiji.ca/f-cars-vehi...wskiQQCatIdZ30
    Yup, and the one in question is the second on the listing. First one the bike is sketchy and messed up with lots of damage. Third is in Ottawa and fourth in Sudbury. I've done the homework in looking for bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    End of the day your taking a risk. Why? So you can get a yellow bike? Not worth it for me. I would just move on. IMO
    No, it's not JUST because it's a yellow bike. Because it meets several criteria. I'm not a gambling man, but I am calculative and understand the risk involve with many things, including the risk of riding a motorcycle itself. I'm not a 18 year old drooling over a yellow bike denying all sense of logic.

On this site, most people believe everything is a scam or a conspiracy, if not both. Consider that in your decision making.
    There is no planet B.

Yup, and the one in question is the second on the listing. First one the bike is sketchy and messed up with lots of damage. Third is in Ottawa and fourth in Sudbury. I've done the homework in looking for bikes.
    I hear ya, I generally throw out the low priced ones as there's a reason it's $1k less.
    Not a lot to choose from.

Personally I like cruisers and there are always hundreds of those. I can therefore afford to be picky

Good luck in your purchase!

So what is a big deal with buying a used bike outside of GTA?? I saved over a grand by going to Belleville when I bought my first bike (GS500F) two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    So what is a big deal with buying a used bike outside of GTA?? I saved over a grand by going to Belleville when I bought my first bike (GS500F) two years ago.
    Logistics? Going to see a bike and then having to go back to pick it up is a a lot of time commitment. I'm not one of those that buys on the spot either. Ottawa and Sudbury isn't exactly Belleville.

Work and family life is busy. If I had time to go to Ottawa I'd prefer want to take a vacation.

Looks like this thread is running a tad long.

If you want the bike buy the bike.

If you have concerns walk away.

it's simple really, my only question is this, if your to busy to shop for a bike how will you ever find the time to ride it?

Good luck with your sale

He said he's calculative, looking at options and analyzing. These things take time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampy00 View Post
    Looks like this thread is running a tad long.

If you want the bike buy the bike.

If you have concerns walk away.

it's simple really, my only question is this, if your to busy to shop for a bike how will you ever find the time to ride it?

Good luck with your sale
    Why do you simplifiy things in a non constructive manner and then put words in my mouth?

If I didnt have time to shop around I wouldnt be here reading the forums and getting informed and analyzing the sale. Like i said, what I dont have time for is to drive to ottawa or sudbury to look at bikes. Big difference there so please dont blur the two.

Why do you simplifiy things in a non constructive manner and then put words in my mouth?

If I didnt have time to shop around I wouldnt be here reading the forums and getting informed and analyzing the sale. Like i said, what I dont have time for is to drive to ottawa or sudbury to look at bikes. Big difference there so please dont blur the two.
    Look you clearly are having a tough time with this, I for one have felt such pain. But my advise was very constructive, simplify the process to suit your time and needs. In your post above me you said loud and clear that you have a busy lifestyle, we all do. But why simply assume I was being negative or non helpful?. No matter what advice has been provided to you, you always have a "yea but." reply, you are clearly struggling to make a decision and being almost mid October you may not even find the time to enjoy your purchase. I made a great private kijiji purchase and very happy with the outcome, I am sure you'll find the same !!

Once again best of luck with your future purchase

Thanks for your reply and attempts at being helpful. Again, you seem to have missed the context in which I say things and decided to put words in my mouth. I said I had a busy lifestyle in response to two suggestions about looking out of town like Ottawa and Sudbury for bike purchases. It was really of no help to question whether I had time to ride a bike, or, to offer a "buy it if I want to, don't buy it if I'm worried" advice. That really undermines the forum and the process of getting others input. In regards to the "yeah, buts", they were attempts to provide a more complete story for the people being helpful and offering their thoughts on the situation.

Thanks again for your input.

let it pass man... riding season is over in like a month. tons of good deals will surface come the next spring

Just to update you guys.

On Monday, I registered the bike under my name, no lien on record. No insurance and no plates yet.

Everyone gave sound and reasonable advice to walk away. However, I made a judgement on the situation. He was a good guy. Wife, child, home owner, owns a dirt bike as well, and brand new truck. He bought the bike new in Toronto from Kawasaki under financing. He told me Kawasaki here uses GE in the US for financing. He showed me his financing papers, had $4100 balance owed, sold it to me for 3700. Also, it wasn't a 3 week wait for the lien to clear, he just told me what was told to him over the phone from GE (ignorant customer service misinformed the owner). But it turned out to only be a 5 day clear and he called me back to let me know, having rechecked with GE. He texted me on his own a few times to check if registration went okay for me. He knows this my first motorcycle, so he's helping out with my first oil change next season too. Also, he rode the bike to my house on transaction.

He didn't have UVIP. He didn't know what it was. He was like "You mean a CarFax?" So I bought it at MTO on Monday when I registered the bike.

People get burned. I've been burned before. This is one on the chalk board for human decency and trust.

Lien's do not automatically = scam. It appears good humans buy things on financing too.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts.
    Last edited by architect; 11-02-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Congrats happy it worked out for you.
    A little advice I would change the oil before you put it away.