Wait on Lean to clear on bike?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wait on Lean to clear on bike?

Wait on Lean to clear on bike?

Interested in this motorcycle. The owner said he has it financed straight from Kawasaki in the US. So he said it will take a few weeks for the lean to clear from the US. He said he's going to take my money and pay off the rest of the bike to Kawasaki.

Is there anything I should do to ensure all this goes though properly? Is this a deal I should be alarmed about? He seems to be a good guy. I went to his house, saw his wife and kids, and the bike.

This also puts a dent in my plans to ride this month

Thanks.

Stay away! Let him come up with the money to pay off the lien. If anything see how much his lien is and just pay off the difference to him.
    I'll explain
    If he owes $4000 and he's selling for $5000 pay him $1000(the difference) and say you will pay the lien to Kawasaki directly. Sign a contract saying you will pay the lien and get him to sign the back of the ownership. The mto will not let you change ownership if there is a lien on the bike.

Remember scammers have families too

Good luck

Re: Wait on Lean to clear on bike?

Yeah, he told me about having to wait a few weeks to change ownership. He gave me all the facts about the situation.

He owes $4000. He listed it at 4000 but now selling it at 3700.

The problem is he doesn't have the money to pay off the lean. He's also selling his motorcross bike. How do I handle the situation? I really want this bike!

When I did this with a vehicle I went into the bank with the seller and paid off his loan. Then I took the vehicle and had to wait a couple days intill the paperwork cleared with the MTO. Easy and no issues. The fianancing company (Kawasaki) can send you a receipt of payment received as well.

Edit I forgot to mention: The bank will give you a recipt for the payment. You can confirm with Kawasaki the account to make payment to. Don't take the sellers word for anything.
    Last edited by rbjeepthing; 10-07-2011 at 03:18 PM.

So this does happen then? Yeah, he said he will fax me the receipt from Kawasaki the day he gets confirmation of payment. The only thing is I don't have time to go with him to his bank to watch him pay off the loan. HmMmmmmmmmmmmmm .... I'm such a newb to all this!

I definitely wouldn't touch it unless all 3 parties (You, Him and the lien place) were involved and happy
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Get him to pay you $300 and give him a contract stating you are going to pay the lien off. You are in control

Quote Originally Posted by rbjeepthing View Post
    When I did this with a vehicle I went into the bank with the seller and paid off his loan. Then I took the vehicle and had to wait a couple days intill the paperwork cleared with the MTO. Easy and no issues. The fianancing company (Kawasaki) can send you a receipt of payment received as well.
    You know, if you're buying a bike, find that day and go together with the seller to the bank to pay off that lien, as the person above has suggested. Otherwise, find a bike without a lien.

Man there are a lot of Kawasaki's out there for sale without lien's on them. Don't let your emotions get the better of you.
    It would be better to pay a couple hundred extra bucks in order to save yourself having the bike repossessed out from under you
    because he decided to use your money somewhere else...

It's hard to find a 500cc Yellow one. If it were any 250 in black I would pass easy.

I guess the best way to get this bike is to see him make the payments at the bank.

Just be careful, the only one looking out for your interest is you.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Get him to pay you $300 and give him a contract stating you are going to pay the lien off. You are in control
    This is the only way I would feel anywhere close to safe.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    It's hard to find a 500cc Yellow one. If it were any 250 in black I would pass easy.

I guess the best way to get this bike is to see him make the payments at the bank.
    Mid-2000s Suzuki GS500F came in yellow with black details.

If you western union kawi the money, they should be able to clear the lean within the hour.. I did a purchase like this and went with seller to western union and sent money to the lean holder, then we went to a pub and had a couple beers while we dealt with Honda finance.. we called to confirm payment then were told to call 30 min later to get the release letter emailed to me.. then went to mto..
    2007 CBR 600rr, currently going thru changes!

He told me he has to call them to withdraw the money to close his account in the US. He told me if he was dealing within the country it would process within the hour. He said it would take a few weeks probably. I figured if he we was going to scam me he'd just lie about many more things instead of laying it out.

If it's a scam I'm going to his house at 4am and smashing up his truck, motorcross bike, and windows.
    Last edited by architect; 10-07-2011 at 11:22 PM.

I wouldn't touch this. Sounds like a scam.

Assuming what he's saying is true... If he financed it through Kawasaki USA then it's a US bike? Is he American? If the bike is American and he just brought it up because it's his, for him to sell it to a Canadian you would have to import it. That's a whole new bag of tricks. Not just worrying if a lien is removed.

He's Canadian. Do these scams happen enough that everyone becomes suspicious? He's going through way more lying then he needs to to scam me. Could have just not mentioned anything and waited for me to collect my money and for me to walk into the MTO to register the bike.

Have you seen the UVIP? Have you thought about a lien search? Has he shown you any documentation about his loan or the lien?

If it's not a US bike and he's not American, there where does the whole Kawi USA and American dollars come in? Ask an authorized Kawi dealership if they've ever heard of anything like that.

Not worth the hassle. Personally, I'd stay away. The smallest technicality could come back to bite you int he *** later on.