Helmet Suggestion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Suggestion

Helmet Suggestion

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and the motorcycle world. I'm getting my M2 soon and I need ideas with purchasing a helmet accordingly. I would love to get your opinion and bounce ideas with as I'm not sure how to go about with the whole thing.

I've read through the basics in a sense that there are cheaper ones like HJC, CKX, then Bell, Icon, then onto Shoei, Arai...etc. I was told above all things, you have to look for the perfect fit and check out the ventilation feature. What other things do you suggest I should look out for?

Also, I'm not going to buy a bike anytime soon so for sure I won't be riding a whole lot...or atleast it's not on my budget for next year to get a bike. Do you think I should just buy a cheaper helmet since I probably won't be using it a lot? But then I'm thinking, why not spend a little bit more so atleast when (or if) I do continue with everything, I won't waste it on the cheap stuff?

If you have any other pointers regarding helmet, that would be very much appreciated.

It would also be great if you can recommend stores. I'm from Brampton, so if you know places close to this area, that'd be great.

I tried to search for topics on Helmets and I didn't see anything to this specific help. Please just refer me to the link if I just missed it.

Re: Helmet Suggestion

I was in a similar situation earlier in the summer.
    The advice I got from my friends that ride was to get one with a SNELL certification, it is a
    higher standard than the DOT certification. And to get a nice snug fit.

I bought an HJC CL-16 from Royal Distributing in Guelph. The helmet was DOT and SNELL 2010 certified.

I wasn't sure how I was going to do getting back into riding so I felt spending $600 on a helmet wasn't
    the best use of my hard earned $$$. Doing it over again, I'd still by an HJC, though I would consider a
    modular one as I wear glasses and having to take them off each time I put the helmet on or off is a bit
    of a pain. This was a big deal in my Riding course at Sheridan as they have you put your helmet on and
    take it off what seems like 50 times during the day. Having to carefully feed the glasses arms over my ears
    each time meant I was the last one ready for each of the exercises

Check out the helmet reviews at: http://www.webbikeworld.com/
    Their reviews are pretty accurate.

Hope this helps, enjoy the course!
    Last edited by cknowles; 10-07-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Arai is the very best IMO. I had a rx-7 which performed very well. My hjc is garbage fogs a lot and very noisy. Try not to cheap out on a helmet for the obvious reason but I know spending $600+ is a lot now a days. Maybe buy a used one. Try some on at Brampton powersport then when u know your size shop around the Internet
    Last edited by daisoman; 10-07-2011 at 02:36 PM.

If you can wait, wait until the January show in Mississauga, probably will be able to get a good discount there. Or just start looking for sales. Pro6, Riders Choice and Kahuna - all had their sales last weekend. Parker is having a sale this weekend.
    Arai makes helmets for various head shapes, but it's also the most expensive. I have Shoei, RF series is nice and fits my head perfectly. I'd put Icon and HJC after these two. Tried HJC a couple of years ago (CL-15 I think) and it didn't fit well, Shoei fit very nicely, all the reviews on RF-1000 were positive too, so I went with that helmet.

I have 2 helmets. The first one I bought was a modular helmet sorry can't remember the name ( definitely a cheaper helmet ). The second is a Zox again a cheaper helmet. I honestly use the modular helmet more because I like to be able to grab a drink or just get some air on more of my face. But the Other one I use for the serious riding days it's made better a lot quieter and looks a lot better ( matches the bike ). If I had to do it again. I would still buy the Zox but I would get a high end modular helmet.

I was like you not sure what to expect so I went a little cheaper with the helmets but, in my opinion you can buy a nice helmet for 200 to 300 dollars. Just make sure it fits good and has enough vents for air movement.

But that's just my 2 cents. Good luck

Be very careful with the modular helmets, as the modular part on most (all?) of these helmets is not DOT/Snell certified for crashes, they only certify the actual helmet part on those.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Be very careful with the modular helmets, as the modular part on most (all?) of these helmets is not DOT/Snell certified for crashes, they only certify the actual helmet part on those.
    It could very well be I honestly do not know. When I ride to work I use the modular and when I ride for fun I use the full face snell 2010 approved.

But very good call

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    Arai is the very best IMO. I had a rx-7 which performed very well. My hjc is garbage fogs a lot and very noisy. Try not to cheap out on a helmet for the obvious reason but I know spending $600+ is a lot now a days. Maybe buy a used one. Try some on at Brampton powersport then when u know your size shop around the Internet
    Arai is definitely out of the equation for me at the moment. I understand that quality is there, but it's too steep for me right now. When I win the lottery though, I will definitely keep one on the shelf

Also, I was suggested never to buy a used one, for various reasons. Why do you think it's safe to get a used helmet?

I also checked out the Powersport, first store I've been to. There was a helmet that I saw, I thought everything about it was great, reasonable price and all, but it was white and pink. I'm a girl and all, but no thanks lol! But ya, I like that store. Comparing the prices with Royal Distributing and GP Bikes on Whitby...Powersport store (atleast the helmet) are more expensive...on the same model.

Quote Originally Posted by cknowles View Post
    I bought an HJC CL-16 from Royal Distributing in Guelph. The helmet was DOT and SNELL 2010 certified.
    Hope this helps, enjoy the course!
    I'm actually leaning towards this, thanks!

If you can wait, wait until the January show in Mississauga, probably will be able to get a good discount there. Or just start looking for sales. Pro6, Riders Choice and Kahuna - all had their sales last weekend. Parker is having a sale this weekend.
    Arai makes helmets for various head shapes, but it's also the most expensive. I have Shoei, RF series is nice and fits my head perfectly. I'd put Icon and HJC after these two. Tried HJC a couple of years ago (CL-15 I think) and it didn't fit well, Shoei fit very nicely, all the reviews on RF-1000 were positive too, so I went with that helmet.

Parker by Kipling in Etobicoke? I went there yesterday and you're right, they have stuff on sale. They had a couple of Bell helmet on sale from $300+, down to $150ish...I don' remember the exact prices. Only issue I ran into, they don't have much Medium on stock...because it's the end of the season

I was also considering renting from them for my M2, wait it out for the show like you said, or just buy it online.... but then I figure, it'd be cool to have my own...atleast I can practice with my own helmet or something. But then again...it's going to be winter soon...how much practice can I really get in. Hmmmm....

I was at GPBikes last week to look at my first helmet. I have a rounder head shape so all the sub $200 helmets didn't fit well when snug (hot spots). In the end it was a 300$ Sumo helmet that fitted me or a 400 Shoei RF 1100 that fit my head. If it were me I'd buy the cheaper available helmet that fit the best.

What do you mean by "modular" helmets?

Get something cheap now, then go to the big motorcycle show in January and get a better one, that's when you get the good deals

Quote Originally Posted by pnayplayr View Post
    I was also considering renting from them for my M2, wait it out for the show like you said, or just buy it online.... but then I figure, it'd be cool to have my own...atleast I can practice with my own helmet or something. But then again...it's going to be winter soon...how much practice can I really get in. Hmmmm....
    Studio Cycle Group on Dundas West also does helmet and gear rental. I rented my helmet for my course from them over the summer. They were quite helpful in getting me properly fitted.

Honestly, nothing wrong with getting an HJC CL16 or IS16 as a first helmet. They have plenty of useful features like removable liners, affordable visors and are plenty safe and well built. Value for money they are a good buy. Once you know what kind of riding you are going to do, then perhaps you can find a more high end helmet to match your needs. My first helmet was an HJC and it did the job. You could also go with a low end scorpion, bell or a Shark.

Pannon Motorsports is closing their doors tomorrow so you could go for something like this if you can make it in time: http://www.pannonsports.com/store/Sh...ime-Black.html

What do you mean by "modular" helmets?
    Modular means the front/bottom part of the helmet that protects your face/jaw lifts up and the helmet becomes an open-face helmet.

Parker by Kipling in Etobicoke? I went there yesterday and you're right, they have stuff on sale. They had a couple of Bell helmet on sale from $300+, down to $150ish...I don' remember the exact prices. Only issue I ran into, they don't have much Medium on stock...because it's the end of the season

Yeah, Parker Bros. There aren't many stores in the west end, which will have great selection of gear. Someone already suggested checking out Pannon, since it's their last day being open. If I remember correctly, he carried Shark helmets, which are pretty good.

And yes, don't buy a used helmet. You don't know what might have happened to that helmet. Why risk your head? Helmet is the only thing that protects it on the road.

Modular means the front/bottom part of the helmet that protects your face/jaw lifts up and the helmet becomes an open-face helmet.
    Oooohhhh...that's what those are. I saw a couple of those online and I don't feel as safe with it in case I get into a situation. I can imagine how it would be less safe.

Quote Originally Posted by toshison View Post
    Pannon Motorsports is closing their doors tomorrow so you could go for something like this if you can make it in time: http://www.pannonsports.com/store/Sh...ime-Black.html

That is a sexy helmet! I like the clean black look, but on the Matte side. Mannn, I should have created this thread earlier... I won't be able to go tomorrow

Do you think I can actually still buy online from them though? But then I don't know the fit...*tsk...

Nice link. If they are still open tomorrow, I might just go and pick L lid and L Monza jacket