Dirt bike insurance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirt bike insurance

Dirt bike insurance

Hi,

I want to ensure a DRZ 125 to ride trails occasionally and was quoted by StateFarm for $130/year for just liability. I know it's not expensive but I've heard about people who pay half that. I have 2 other vehicles with them and the guy on the phone told me this is the best rate he can do.

Does that seem about right to ensure a small dirt bike?

Thanks!

Re: Dirt bike insurance

Yes

You haven't given any details on your age or other factors, but that sounds about right given some quotes I've received for off-road only insurance. I had $100/year for my wife and I, but we're old(er) farts.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Thanks a lot guys... much appreciated!

I pay less than $80/yr for each of my offroad bikes from State Farm. 99 TTR225 and 01 Rm125.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    I pay less than $80/yr for each of my offroad bikes from State Farm. 99 TTR225 and 01 Rm125.
    Do you insure your house and cars with them also? That's an awesome price.

I tried to get a UVIP for my 04 KX250F and the MTO had no record of the VIN. The woman there said because it's a competition bike. How do I get insurance on it now?

I think you can only get the UVIP from the manufacturer. If you didn't get it, and the bike has never been registered you'll need to get a signed affidavit sating that you're the sole owner, purchased from ____ and there are no liens on it. (I think this is the process, it;s been awhile since I did it).

As for OP's post. $130/year is pretty good. I just got quoted $287 for my 2004 RM-Z 250 but I have nothing else insured so it's makes it difficult for me.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    I tried to get a UVIP for my 04 KX250F and the MTO had no record of the VIN. The woman there said because it's a competition bike. How do I get insurance on it now?
    Competition bikes are not part of the MTO registration as they are not sold with ownerships in most cases

You have to get it plated, bring the receipt of purchase and request and off-road plate.

My YZ250f came from the dealer with an ownership. Actually, both of my race bikes have.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Competition bikes are not part of the MTO registration as they are not sold with ownerships in most cases

You have to get it plated, bring the receipt of purchase and request and off-road plate.
    got an ownership and green plate today, PITA though. So first I went in today with the bill of sale and an affidavit I made up. Was told the same thing I was yesterday, that it's a competition bike and cannot be registered. I argue, she calls headquarters. They tell her I need to call the previous owner and find out original owner. I tell her I already asked him 50 questions at time of purchase, he didn't know who it was, or who he bought he from. She calls back to headquarters, then they tell me to get a point of origin paper. Again, I dont know where the bike came from, I guess she forgot I said that 5, 10, and 15 minutes ago. Then out of pure **** luck, the woman who works at Cycle One Kawasaki walks in. I've had 5 Kawis, raced 2 of em, and they know me well there. The know her there too from doing ownership stuff. So I go down with her to the dealership, she can't even find where the bike came from, but she did type me something official up saying it's not a competition bike(aparrently that meant like ****** little pitster pro bikes and chinese junk, yeah, I can see how a Kawasaki 250 fits in there, UGH) and it's an off road bike and able to be registered. Finally that worked, cost me 100 bucks for the notary to sign it, plate and taxes. Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by acernec View Post
    Do you insure your house and cars with them also? That's an awesome price.
    Everything is with them. Savings across the board.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    Everything is with them. Savings across the board.
    Thanks... I'm going to do the same.

so tried SF, they want 250 bucks for comp and fire +theft. I forgot to write down how much just the comp was but I think it was around $110
    TD won't touch me because I haven't taken a riders training course and don't plan to, LOL WTF

anyone else I should try

so tried SF, they want 250 bucks for comp and fire +theft. I forgot to write down how much just the comp was but I think it was around $110TD won't touch me because I haven't taken a riders training course and don't plan to, LOL WTFanyone else I should try
    maybe try and give a broker or two a call? Or just go down to Fanshawe and wail the hell out of their little bikes. I'm sure they've likely not seen any knee-draggin' in the counter-steering lesson.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

so tried SF, they want 250 bucks for comp and fire +theft. I forgot to write down how much just the comp was but I think it was around $110
    TD won't touch me because I haven't taken a riders training course and don't plan to, LOL WTF

anyone else I should try
    That sounds like a decent rate to me - I pay about $110/year for my dirtbikes and I don't have theft or collision on them. I'm not with State Farm for my other polices though...
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Everywhere keeps quoting me for on road. I cant get anyone for offroad only insurance. Any tips on who to call, which state farm agent.

Quote Originally Posted by gnatwest View Post
    Everywhere keeps quoting me for on road. I cant get anyone for offroad only insurance. Any tips on who to call, which state farm agent.
    Here you go: http://www.oftr.ca/page.php?id=916
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Thanks.

I got some info from a statefarm agent finally. They said they cant provide offroad only for my blueplate though

Quote Originally Posted by gnatwest View Post
    Thanks.

I got some info from a statefarm agent finally. They said they cant provide offroad only for my blueplate though
    They told me the same and that I'd have to change it to a green plate. My bike is grandfathered so I don't want to lose the ability to put it on the road because once I do, I can't blue plate it again.