Common theme in the job place about promotions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common theme in the job place about promotions

Common theme in the job place about promotions

I was speaking to some coworkers and VPs/managers about how some people with very little knowledge or IQ can get promoted easily especially for lateral moves.

The common answer I heard was "it was the only way to get them out of here" since when some of them become permanent in large organizations it's nearly impossible to fire them.

I've noticed on so many occasions that people who work hard or are excellent at their jobs are being held back by their managers because it's hard to fill in a good employee spot.

Any comments on this from your experience?

Re: Common theme in the job place about promotions

Of course and it's rampant in most industries.

Does the best person for the job get hired? Hardly ever. It's the person who knows someone, or they need to move them laterally, etc. that gets hired.

It sucks.

It's sad but true. Seen it happen with every company I've worked for.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    I was speaking to some coworkers and VPs/managers about how some people with very little knowledge or IQ can get promoted easily especially for lateral moves.

The common answer I heard was "it was the only way to get them out of here" since when some of them become permanent in large organizations it's nearly impossible to fire them.

I've noticed on so many occasions that people who work hard or are excellent at their jobs are being held back by their managers because it's hard to fill in a good employee spot.

I feel like you and I are in the same boat.

Every large company that I've worked for functions like this. It's easy to hide.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Im working hard right now....I better get a promotion soon!

But seriously....I hope I do...

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    Im working hard right now....I better get a promotion soon!

But seriously....I hope I do...
    You and me both.

Be cautious about digging holes; In my last engagement, I worked extremely hard to make myself essential hoping to make myself more promoteable... all it did was make it difficult to get out when an opportunity did come along. I had to work twice as hard to train a replacement and missed a prime opportunity in the interim.

I thought that only exist in the gov't
    Resident Loudmouth

With large companies you have to play politics very well. It's just the name of the game.

It doesn't make sense to me, people are usually promoted because they are hard workers and know what they are doing.
    The person that gets promoted because "they just want them out of here" has to have some assets that would make their company give him/her a raise.
    The only reason I can think why someone would say "just to get them out of here" would be jealousy.

You're not going to get a promotion if you're a lazy-*** and lack good work ethics.
    Mina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dilbert_principle

The Dilbert principle refers to a 1990s satirical observation by Dilbert cartoonist Scott Adams stating that companies tend to systematically promote their least-competent employees to management (generally middle management), in order to limit the amount of damage they are capable of doing.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

In my experience I've seen some of the dumbest people in middle management type positions. You could say that it *un*-inspired me, and I've never applied for any of those jobs when they came up.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

It's funny someone said to do only 90% and never go over 100%. If you do 110% they'll want to keep you forever... just remember they'll realize how valuable you are when they're giving a recommendation and won't be too nice when they do it.

It makes sense. Now I don't stay extra... demand overtime and take my full lunch away from my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post

depends on the organization and how technical the positions are. Obviously promoting a incompetent doctor to head of neurosurgery would end badly.

Firing people is very easy in Ontario, a company can fire anyone for no cause at all.....people are just afraid to do so in some places.
    Last edited by murf; 10-07-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Doing your own job extremely well practically guarantees staying in it. But doing your job well AND taking some of your boss's responsibilities increases your chances of promotion.
    Obviously you have to skillfully negotiate which responsibilities of his/hers you want to assume. Start with the ones he dislikes, like certain regular meetings. Make him understand you don't want HIS job but would appreciatehis guidance to developing your career within the organization.
    It takes time but with some hard work and foresight you can rise on merit.
    I wave to everybody. Just not you.

This is common...and actually sorta applies to me at the moment haha. I have my own plans, though. While I enjoy working hard, I'm not about to let myself get stuck in a rut just because they can't find a replacement for me.

Mind you, being difficult to replace may work in your favour if the job market ever tanks around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

It's pretty easy to judge your station in your company if you're ever promoted to manage a "process". Career = Meet Brick Wall.

Honestly though, I've put in the time and always had it recognized, whether through incentivization (more money) or a promotion in place. Would like to be a little further ahead than I am, but I am pretty well off. Not sure what companies you guys are working....hopefully you find someone who treats you a little better in the future!
    2007 VRSCDX Night Rod Special - aka. The Bike I wanted in the first place.
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 ACE

Straight Pipes 4 life!

Losers always rise to the top in bigger corporations. Because the people above them don't want to promote someone who is much better than they are. So they promote someone who is ok and a butt kisser to protect their own job. In smaller companies where the boss wants the best people ( like mine) you will rise based on your work and attitude because the better you are the less the owner has to manage you. And that's what a Company owner who is involved wants most. To pay people and have them do their job well. In larger companies its all butt kissing and politics

From my experience, it's all about who you know.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    With large companies you have to play politics very well. It's just the name of the game.
    this.. its half what you know, and half what people know what you know.

From what I've witnessed, this is what seems to get all the idiots promoted...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brownose.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	26590
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights