Parking lot incident

Thread: Parking lot incident

Parking lot incident

Quick question:

If there was a car collision involved in a parking lot, would insurance deem it as 50/50 aka no fault?
    Would insurance increase for both parties?
    05 Honda cbr 600RR 04.13.2011 - Sold
    09 Honda cbr 125 R.I.P 06.12.2011</3
    11 Honda cbr 250R ABS. 10.01.2011 Cherry <3

Re: Parking lot incident

Depends on what happened....
    But anything 25% fault or more will affect your insurance.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

As fault assessment is based on the insurance rules of fault determination it doesn't matter if it happens on the street, or in a parking lot. Fault is determined in exactly the same way.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

ok thanks!

will let my co-worker know the dreadful news.
    05 Honda cbr 600RR 04.13.2011 - Sold
    09 Honda cbr 125 R.I.P 06.12.2011</3
    11 Honda cbr 250R ABS. 10.01.2011 Cherry <3

Most parking lot accidents are deemed 50/50. Unless your co-workers vehicle was parked and the third party struck your co-workers parked vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ABadjusterrider_5 View Post
    Most parking lot accidents are deemed 50/50. Unless your co-workers vehicle was parked and the third party struck your co-workers parked vehicle.
    Untrue, as Rob has already stated, and as my wife found out. There are specific insurance fault determination rules for parking lots, codified into the Ontario Insurance Law:

Quote Originally Posted by "Ontario, Insurance Act, R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 668, FAULT DETERMINATION RULES, Section 16
    Rules for Automobiles in Parking Lots

16. (1) This section applies with respect to incidents in parking lots. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 16 (1). (2) The degree of fault of a driver involved in an incident on a thoroughfare shall be determined in accordance with this Regulation as if the thoroughfare were a road. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 16 (2).
    (3) If automobile “A” is leaving a feeder lane and fails to yield the right of way to automobile “B” on a thoroughfare, the driver of automobile “A” is 100 per cent at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is not at fault for the incident. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 16 (3).
    (4) If automobile “A” is leaving a parking space and fails to yield the right of way to automobile “B” on a feeder lane or a thoroughfare, the driver of automobile “A” is 100 per cent at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is not at fault for the incident. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 16 (4).
    (5) In this section,
    “feeder lane” means a road in a parking lot other than a thoroughfare;
    “thoroughfare” means a main road for passage into, through or out of a parking lot. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 16 (5).

Quote Originally Posted by ABadjusterrider_5 View Post
    Yes very untrue. I was involved in a moving incident this year and the other party was deemed 100% at fault.

My agent told me parking lot/private property incidences are 50/50, unless someone admits 100% fault.
    Someone backed into my car while at a Tim's (he was too busy eating, not watching). He admitted he wasn't paying attention to his insurance company and I was deemed not at fault, and all repairs were paid for, no deductable paid. When I got my bike insured my agent asked if I had any accidents and I said no, as HE had an accident, I didn't. Anyway, she said she sees the claim on my record but I'm NAF for it and it didn't affect my premium at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    Yes very untrue. I was involved in a moving incident this year and the other party was deemed 100% at fault.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smutty View Post
    My agent told me parking lot/private property incidences are 50/50, unless someone admits 100% fault.
    You don't need an admission of fault. A witness might be useful, but often the nature of damage will help determine fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Smutty View Post
    Thats one of the most misinformed post I have seen in awhile.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden