No!!! Transmission problems!!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No!!! Transmission problems!!!

Re: No!!! Transmission problems!!!

Carbs back in, throttle and choke adjusted and working.

I also installed the chain, now for wiring....

Could you not have used an 8 point socket on that head of that bolt without destroying it? More points for contact the better right? I'm sure Sears would have had them in stock.

Sorry, I don't understand.

It wasn't a 4 sided bolt, and it snapped it off when I was trying to undo the headers with a regular socket/ratchet setup, no damage to the head of the bolt, it broke on the shank. Softer metal than I expected.

Maybe I missed something, admittedly I'm a hack mechanically (I design software systems for a living) can you elaborate?

Thanks!

"There was sufficient material to lock vice grips on the bolt and while applying heat from a propane torch (careful it's only aluminum) and tapping I attempted to loosen her up.... hmmmnnn... soft bolt, I keep mangling the material; no joy."

Well For one, using the vice grips was a bad choice. A longer extension on the ratchet may have helped. It looks to me like a 6 sided bolt.
    Maybe the bolt just got stressed from heat?

Ah ... I used vice grips on the shank, there was no head left after it snapped off when i was removing the headers.

I'm not that much of a hack to use vice grips on a bolt with a good head on it.

Thanks anyway.

Good days work yesterday;

- Mufflers on (including repaired header bolt, worked well)
    - Cables and pipes routed and connected
    - Wiring almost complete (2 wires unconnected, need to be traced?)
    - battery box back in, working on 'dressing' parts.

Time to pick up oil, filters etc. I plan to do a quick run on a new filter then change both oil and filter again in case some 'nasties' snuck in while she was disassembled.

Pics later.
    Last edited by CruiserGoneSport; 04-02-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Fix spelling. :(

Ready for Dressing!!!

Battery topped up and testing, I have to find time to pick up oil and filter tomorrow....

let me know if yoy want a spare engine, was out looking for myself today and could only find older 750 engines 89 older

Thanks...

She's a classy '83. Aged well eh? B)

Did you find it hard to work on? My uncle has a kitted out '78 (910cc, 4-1 V&H pipes etc) that needs full restoration. Was thinking about doing it myself
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

A labour of love.

Biggest issue was removing the remains of a broken bolt. I'm no mechanic but, while asking for advise I was told several times that the most common problem with restorations is removing broken bolts, the second is finding parts. I was lucky I didn't have to go deep in the transmission or I would have had to split the engine. I would have needed some fairly specialized tools for that.....

If I had to do it over again, I'd have a second bike to ride so I wouldn't be in such a hurry and would have taken more time to clean etc. Of course having a heated garage with a beer fridge, music, buddies dropping by, my daughter taking an interest made it a more than pleasurable experience. B)
    Last edited by CruiserGoneSport; 04-03-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: add last paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserGoneSport View Post
    - Wiring almost complete (2 wires unconnected, need to be traced?)
    Was for fuel sensor on tank. lol!

... fuel on prime, choke on full, insert key CLICK! VROOM!!!!

BIG SMILE!

Short test ride went well, stop to check hmmnnn... a little oil leakage, shut down and grab a socket....

Nooooooooo!!!!!

Broken union bolt (bolt that provided the plumbing for the oil cooler), I guess this is why I got in to computers, I'm brutal on bolts.

Meh, emailed Snow City (again, great service), got the parts, also picked up her new rubber;

See you on the streets!

Oh, and let's be brutally honest, I had a moment's excitement when I discovered the clutch wasn't adjust correctly and wasn't disengaged when I kicked her into gear for the first time. Lucky I was alert and ready with the brakes or I would have dumped her into the side of my truck....

Sigh, I only missed one gasket (oil filter cover) and of course that one leaked oil all over my garage floor.... fixed now, again thanks to Snow City for great service and rapid turnaround. I'm one with their online microfiches. lol!

New Metzlers!!!

I called Snow City to get them installed, 3 week waiting list, time to call a friend....

Buddy Derrick is a good friend with the tools necessary, check out his 'newfie bead breaker', worked very well, made the job quite easy;

a little muscle (and thanks to rim savers) and the old tires were off, replaced with new rubber, and on to balancing;

Thanking Derrick, I brought them home, installed and aligned....

Derrick dropped by to check if I needed help (good friends do that for each other) and I think he was surprised to see I was ready for a ride ... so we did.

I still have a slow oil leak, probably a bit of dirt behind a crush washer, nothing a good engine shampoo and watch for the wet spot to develop shouldn't address.

Thanks for reading/chiming in. If there's any interest, I may doc the cosmetic work to follow now that she's mechanically sound again.

/Jim.