No!!! Transmission problems!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No!!! Transmission problems!!!

No!!! Transmission problems!!!

<insert curse words here> I was driving home last night (sweet ride), and was about to make last turn onto my court and while downshifting to 2nd, the bike jumps back up to third ... strange, I kick down again ( this time with more authority ) and the same things happens again ... damn!

I take her for a quick jaunt around the block and it happens a couple more times, what's more I find a couple false neutrals ... NOOOOOoooooo!!!!

I was hoping to get a few more rides in with the weather being quite pleasant then begin the tear-down I'd planned for the winter ... looks like I won't get my wish.

Advice/insight/resources sought, this bike has run flawlessly all summer (bought this spring and basic tuneup/safety done before riding).

1983 Suzuki GS 750 ES

Re: No!!! Transmission problems!!!

Check that the external shifter linkage isn't loose (if your bike has one, the shifter could just be bolted directly on the shifter shaft). At least you were already to planning to tear it down!
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Check that the external shifter linkage isn't loose (if your bike has one, the shifter could just be bolted directly on the shifter shaft). At least you were already to planning to tear it down!
    +1 had this problem once. Take apart the shifter and linkage, clean it, grease it up, try again

You may want to talk to Steve Darlington.
    http://www.vrra.ca/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15710

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserGoneSport View Post
    <insert curse words here> I was driving home last night (sweet ride), and was about to make last turn onto my court and while downshifting to 2nd, the bike jumps back up to third ... strange, I kick down again ( this time with more authority ) and the same things happens again ... damn!

I take her for a quick jaunt around the block and it happens a couple more times, what's more I find a couple false neutrals ... NOOOOOoooooo!!!!

I was hoping to get a few more rides in with the weather being quite pleasant then begin the tear-down I'd planned for the winter ... looks like I won't get my wish.

Advice/insight/resources sought, this bike has run flawlessly all summer (bought this spring and basic tuneup/safety done before riding).

1983 Suzuki GS 750 ES
    Common issue.

Go here:

www.thegsresources.com

PM me if still an issue.
    One bike isn't enough.

Thanks for all the advice and kind offers ... now to make room in the garage to work on this.

Ok, long time no update, basically beavering away at the teardown (as I get time).

I found the problem today, and I'm glad I found it before tearing the whole damn engine apart (I probably didn't even have to remove the engine but meh...)!

I removed the oilpan and look what was swinging free; ...

Basically, there's a spring attached to a fork in the transmission that is readily accessible once you remove the oilpan.

Next pic is a closeup by the yellow pliers...

This spring was broken at the end it attaches to the case, the other end was still attached to the fork.

Unfortunately the broken end wasn't to be found in the catch basin, I'm going to try to look further, and maybe try to flush it out with warm oil? Maybe it's magnetic?

The Suzuki part number appears to be
    #09443-08026
    Advise always welcome.

Jim
    Last edited by CruiserGoneSport; 03-05-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Insert album link to pictures

... and finally the spring is in (was on back order along with new carb boots, O-rings, gaskets etc.), I hope to pick up Saturday and then it's re-assembly time. Oh... and new rubber of course.

Spring is just around the corner and I'm HYPED!!!!

you got lucky...you didn't have to split the cases!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    you got lucky...you didn't have to split the cases!
    Yes! VERY LUCKY, after fishing around with a magnet, I also found the missing piece;

... and the new one was easy to install...

Now I just have to remove the broken header bolt and start reassembly with all the shiny new parts.

Can't u get that spring at any old hardware store? lol
    Resident Loudmouth

Yeah ... I don't think I'll be asking you to help source parts.

Last thing I imagined would be the solution, I was reading, thinking backcutting gears etc. I know my way around tools but I'm no mechanic...

I got the spring @ Snow City, of course I had to check out the 2012 version of my bike. Needless to say I got a mean lust on now.

Back to wrenching, gotta drop the tires for new rubber and see if I can pop this broken header bolt out....

Cheers!
    Last edited by CruiserGoneSport; 03-05-2012 at 08:57 PM.

ok, no pretty pics, just an update in the hopes of saving someone else the hassles....

I built a damn around the bolt with some Plasticine (sorry kids) and soaked the bolt in penetrating oil all week (no time to work on her this week), topping it up every night.

Plan A Vice grips
    There was sufficient material to lock vice grips on the bolt and while applying heat from a propane torch (careful it's only aluminum) and tapping I attempted to loosen her up.... hmmmnnn... soft bolt, I keep mangling the material; no joy.

Plan B Impact Wrench
    Next, I followed a friends advice to cut a slot in the bolt and use an impact wench (with heat) ... nope. The bolt is surprisingly soft material and it sheared pretty quick, again; no joy.

Plan C Easy-out extractor
    Yeah ... well after several attempts, applying heat, tapping, careful not to apply any side load etc ... they warn you not to break one off in the bolt but I did ... sigh.

Recovery from Plan C
    So, a full day of tapping, drilling around it, I finally managed to remove the bloody easy-out....

Plan D Drill and tap
    Having spent considerable time looking at this thing, researching removal methods I decided I have a case of galvanic corrosion on my hands and am unlikely to be able to remove this so I decided to drill and tap to the next size. I drill my pilot hole and commence to progressively drill larger holes until snap! Seriously? I now have a hardened drill bit embedded in the middle of the hole!!! <insert string of curse words here>

Plan D cont'd
    Long story short, by drilling around the bit, tapping and judicious scraping with a dental pick (thanks to friends who are dentists) I manage to get it out, finish drilling and tapped new threads.

Sorry to disappoint with a more controversial ending but, this worked fine (after the multi-day diversions) and if I'm ever in a position to repeat, I will definitely leap ahead to this solution again. Far easier.

Now back to reassembly, I'm currently cleaning the old seal from the oil pan, well adhered, have to be careful not to mar the aluninum surfaces...

More pics to come, I was just too frustrated to be bothered with a camera.... better now.
    Last edited by CruiserGoneSport; 03-14-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: fix spelling mangled by spell chack

Wow, that's one stubborn bolt
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Wow, that's one stubborn bolt
    Seriously, while I was reading the extraction post, I was getting a little ****** at the damn bolt.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Imagine how I felt, listening to the many bikes whiz by as I was 'arguing' with it.

... Finally had some time to work on her last night.

The engines in the frame (just sitting on the frame for now).

It doesn't look like it but, it's a ridiculously tight fit, took the better part of the evening (and some skin from buddy's knuckles).

next time you have a bolt like that and you are using an extractor you should get proper torches heat up the bolt untill its red hot and douse it in a cup of cold water to shock treat it. This will actually make the bolt shrink to slightly smaller than its original size and break away most of the fused metals and should come right out with ease!

Thanks for the advise, I did heat it with a propane torch but I was very concerned with applying to much heat to the aluminum block...

Ok, so I managed to get the mounting bolts back in, tougher than I thought, especially trying not to pinch the many wires for sensors etc.

Coils back in and re-wired (green tape is labels, I'll remove when I know she runs.

... and a lot more wiring ahead;

but first, carbs to be cleaned, new boots etc.;

Last edited by CruiserGoneSport; 03-27-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: fix typos :(