No!!! Transmission problems!!!

Thread: No!!! Transmission problems!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No!!! Transmission problems!!!

<insert curse words here> I was driving home last night (sweet ride), and was about to make last turn onto my court and while downshifting to 2nd, the bike jumps back up to third ... strange, I kick down again ( this time with more authority ) and the same things happens again ... damn!

I take her for a quick jaunt around the block and it happens a couple more times, what's more I find a couple false neutrals ... NOOOOOoooooo!!!!

I was hoping to get a few more rides in with the weather being quite pleasant then begin the tear-down I'd planned for the winter ... looks like I won't get my wish.

Advice/insight/resources sought, this bike has run flawlessly all summer (bought this spring and basic tuneup/safety done before riding).

1983 Suzuki GS 750 ES

Re: No!!! Transmission problems!!!

Check that the external shifter linkage isn't loose (if your bike has one, the shifter could just be bolted directly on the shifter shaft). At least you were already to planning to tear it down!
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Check that the external shifter linkage isn't loose (if your bike has one, the shifter could just be bolted directly on the shifter shaft). At least you were already to planning to tear it down!
    +1 had this problem once. Take apart the shifter and linkage, clean it, grease it up, try again

You may want to talk to Steve Darlington.
    http://www.vrra.ca/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15710

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserGoneSport View Post
    <insert curse words here> I was driving home last night (sweet ride), and was about to make last turn onto my court and while downshifting to 2nd, the bike jumps back up to third ... strange, I kick down again ( this time with more authority ) and the same things happens again ... damn!

I take her for a quick jaunt around the block and it happens a couple more times, what's more I find a couple false neutrals ... NOOOOOoooooo!!!!

I was hoping to get a few more rides in with the weather being quite pleasant then begin the tear-down I'd planned for the winter ... looks like I won't get my wish.

Advice/insight/resources sought, this bike has run flawlessly all summer (bought this spring and basic tuneup/safety done before riding).

1983 Suzuki GS 750 ES
    Common issue.

Go here:

www.thegsresources.com

PM me if still an issue.
    One bike isn't enough.

Thanks for all the advice and kind offers ... now to make room in the garage to work on this.

Ok, long time no update, basically beavering away at the teardown (as I get time).

I found the problem today, and I'm glad I found it before tearing the whole damn engine apart (I probably didn't even have to remove the engine but meh...)!

I removed the oilpan and look what was swinging free; ...

Basically, there's a spring attached to a fork in the transmission that is readily accessible once you remove the oilpan.

Next pic is a closeup by the yellow pliers...

This spring was broken at the end it attaches to the case, the other end was still attached to the fork.

Unfortunately the broken end wasn't to be found in the catch basin, I'm going to try to look further, and maybe try to flush it out with warm oil? Maybe it's magnetic?

The Suzuki part number appears to be
    #09443-08026
    Advise always welcome.

Jim
    Last edited by CruiserGoneSport; 03-05-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Insert album link to pictures

... and finally the spring is in (was on back order along with new carb boots, O-rings, gaskets etc.), I hope to pick up Saturday and then it's re-assembly time. Oh... and new rubber of course.

Spring is just around the corner and I'm HYPED!!!!

you got lucky...you didn't have to split the cases!