Tires empty! Riding fLAT!

Thread: Tires empty! Riding fLAT!

Angry Tires empty! Riding fLAT!

Long story short, I rode around 5kms on flat tiires.

Checked the air pressure and had about 10psi front, and 0psi on the back. Thats right folks, 0 PSI. I knew something was wrong, but having not ride for 2-3 days, WHATS RIGHT !>?

Does this sorta thing just happen ? I didnt take the bike out for 2-3 days and it was sitting outside, getting rained on ect......

Anyone think foul play is a factor here ? Also when I was taking the bike out of my parking spot, a bent up coat hanger came flinging out from the front, im not sure if it was purposly put on the tire or i just coincidently ran it over.

How often do your tires deflate to that extremity!?
    When I checked the PSI, I couldnt beleive my eyes, I checked again and again, and again, it was 0! TO ADD to the whole paranoia that someone tampered with my bike, I NOTICED the caps on the air valve were TOO SNUG. I never put my caps back on with force.
    Last edited by nanobots; 10-06-2011 at 01:56 AM. Reason: 5kms guys

Re: Tires empty! Riding fLAT!

I put about 1000km on a bike that had 15psi front 12psi rear, 5k seems a bit excessive.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

It's pretty obvious that someone either deflated your tires, or you've got holes in them.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    It's pretty obvious that someone either deflated your tires, or you've got holes in them.
    Or his gauge is broken.

Very difficult to move or ride a bike with a flat tire.

Wouldn't riding the bike on flat tires cause damage to the rims?...
    How long did it take you before you realized your tires were flat?
    Mina

Riding with a tire with no air would very likely pop it off the bead and do some bad things to the rims. Are you sure you gauge is working correctly? Tire loose a bit of pressure with the colder temps and they will feel different as well.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

You don't really need a gauge to tell that your tire has no air in it. So if the tire is still somewhat inflated and the gauge is showing zero, than it's not accurate. There's no way you could ride a bike with no pressure in the rear wheel for 5km. So yeah, either you got some punctures or a real crappy gauge.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I would think you'd notice something was wrong the second you turned out of your driveway. Flat tires don't like to turn.

IDK the guage worked above 10 psi because it measured my front at 12. I checked the back several times and the guage showed 0 everytime. It was one of those crappy gas station guages. It worked because I filled it back up to 28-30 range.

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    Wouldn't riding the bike on flat tires cause damage to the rims?
    Not always. I've done quite the distance twice.
    Last time, about 2 months ago, I rode (my Busa) from between St Catherines & Beamsville back to Hamilton with a totally flat rear. I put as much weight on the tank as humanly possible, and took my time on service roads and side streets to get back home. If I had a dime for everyone that told me I had a flat that day, I'd be rich.
    No damage at all to the rim. The tire was on day #1 of it's life - about 250kms, so maybe that helped. (pilot pure ate a nail)
    Few yrs back, I rode my B12 at least 15 miles home, with no air in the rear. (metzler something or other)
    Not sure if I'd get too far with a flat front, but if I survive the flat, I'd give 'er a go.

Quote Originally Posted by nanobots View Post
    IDK the guage worked above 10 psi because it measured my front at 12. I checked the back several times and the guage showed 0 everytime. It was one of those crappy gas station guages. It worked because I filled it back up to 28-30 range.
    Don't ever trust those gauges, that you find on gas station compressors. How accurate do you think that a "precision device" will be, if it's left out everyday in the weather? Carry your own.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I rode with 15psi on a PR2 rear, the bugger stepped out sideways every corner I made until I caught the low pressure.

I had a rear tire puncture a tube and blow the rear bead off the rim at 70kph. Scared me silly.

After Aminals BBQ I had my front tube go flat and I slid sideways for twenty feet and ruined the start of a three day vacation ride to the States.

Now I make sure my gauges work, that I carry one, plus tire irons, air and a patch kit whenever I tour.

It's the same bike, with 84,000kms on it, so I figure I'm good for another blowout at around 120,000km. NOT!

Riding a tire with 0 psi will ride it right off the bead if it doesn't lay you and your bike down first. It'll destroy the tire, tube, and mark up your rim even if you are successful.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Try a front tire flat for ***** and giggles. It turns your bike into a rear wheel steering kinda feeling. Everything is backwards in turns lol

I don't leave the house when I ride, without checking my PSI. I got that habit from tuning for buddies at the track. Glad you didn't get injured.