Speeding across the border

Thread: Speeding across the border

Speeding across the border

Hypothetically speaking, if one is pulled over for speeding south of the border, what happens? Pay the fines? Bike gets impounded?

Re: Speeding across the border

Depends on where you are and what the speed is. You can be hauled straight off, to court, and be jailed until you appear before a judge, or JoP. It can also have repercussions here.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...s-with-Ontario
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

hauled off to jail??? Hell I was ripping it down south, fastest I've ever been. Gotta admit the no 50 over ******** had me feeling a lot more ballsy.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    hauled off to jail??? Hell I was ripping it down south, fastest I've ever been. Gotta admit the no 50 over ******** had me feeling a lot more ballsy.
    Yes, you can be hauled off to jail. The speed at which that happens varies, from State to State. It's been a while but I believe that when I was stopped in Pennsylvania, the Trooper said it was 20 MPH over.

Also remember that they have seizure laws down there, as well. They can take your vehicle and not give it back, depending upon what they charge you with. Some southern US towns survive on speed traps and seizures.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Did you actually check to see what crazy speeding laws the states may or may not have or did you just assume there was nothing?

When I was pulled over in Pennsylvania I had a real scare from the police. I believe it was a Friday afternoon and they got me dead to rights doing around 40-50mph over the limit. They told me that I was going to be taken to see a judge right away. Crap. They called ahead and apparently the judge was off for the rest of the weekend. They indicated that I'd be spending the weekend in jail. Double crap. Poor way to start a long weekend.. I was eventually let off with a warning because they did not want to deal with sending a Canadian to jail. I don't know if what they told me was true but it sure sounded scary...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Yes, you can be hauled off to jail. The speed at which that happens varies, from State to State. It's been a while but I believe that when I was stopped in Pennsylvania, the Trooper said it was 20 MPH over.

Also remember that they have seizure laws down there, as well. They can take your vehicle and not give it back, depending upon what they charge you with. Some southern US towns survive on speed traps and seizures.
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

some states had the 50 over rule before Ontario. Also, some states will take your vehicle on the spot unless you pay the fines on the spot for even small speeding fines.

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post
    When I was pulled over in Pennsylvania I had a real scare from the police. I believe it was a Friday afternoon and they got me dead to rights doing around 40-50mph over the limit. They told me that I was going to be taken to see a judge right away. Crap. They called ahead and apparently the judge was off for the rest of the weekend. They indicated that I'd be spending the weekend in jail. Double crap. Poor way to start a long weekend.. I was eventually let off with a warning because they did not want to deal with sending a Canadian to jail. I don't know if what they told me was true but it sure sounded scary...
    That doesn't sound like that Bradford trip, where the Trooper warned us about the town speed trap up ahead.

It might have been that trip. I went out for a solo blast after we had stopped for the day. It also could have
    been another time we were in the Pennsylvania area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    That doesn't sound like that Bradford trip, where the Trooper warned us about the town speed trap up ahead.
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post
    It might have been that trip. I went out for a solo blast after we had stopped for the day. It also could have
    been another time we were in the Pennsylvania area.
    No, it was likely that trip. I forgot you mentioned getting stopped when you went out for that solo ride, the one afternoon that it didn't rain buckets.

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

I have been told by the locals that many of the little communities generate as much as 90% of their revenue from their speed traps in the U.S., like some along the routes to Lake Placid, New York, .... I once had a Police cruiser follow me for 10 minutes across the Andirondak Park at 10 pm. Never saw another vehicle that night for about 20 minutes. I had been cruising at 7- 8 MPH over the limit. Stuck to the posted 50 MPH from then on! I do not speed when in the U.S.. Not worth it and I am a guest in their country and I would like to return their sometime and be able to return home on my bike.

Don't ya just love those 25, 30, 35 MPH speed zones! Do 30 in a 25 and get a ticket.
    Last edited by Ikan; 10-17-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Here is a link to speeding->reckless driving: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html

Got lucky when I got a ticket for 23mph over in Wisconsin. 25mph over is when they can take you to jail.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

The Sheriff who pulled me said if i'd been local he would have jailed me.

91mph in a 55 zone. Silly stuff.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    Here is a link to speeding->reckless driving: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/laws.html

Got lucky when I got a ticket for 23mph over in Wisconsin. 25mph over is when they can take you to jail.

Thanx for the link. Forgot about it.
    New York State: "The law permits a 15 day jail sentence for 11 MPH over the speed limit." Reckless is +30.

Virginia state: "Failure to use turn signals is reckless driving."

But the best one:
    Washington state: " As in Oregon, "embracing another while driving" is illegal (reckless driving.)"
    So let your partner do all the work. . It's the law!
    Last edited by Ikan; 10-18-2011 at 02:36 AM.

This is actually worth knowing. Every state has a slightly different approach and it can get really expensive and inconvenient fast. Arizona police have Visa/MC option and you pay the fine on the spot if your from out of state. Most of the states now have a reciprocal agreement with Ontario so your hooliganing can follow you here for insurance purposes.

i usually maintain only about 10-20mph over ... anything over 20mph is usually when 'things' COULD happen ... but under 20mph over is usually a speeding fine. i have gotten many tickets in different area's and even witht he recip. agreement, I find if you pay it on time, it never seems to transfer up ...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

The main impression I have is don't speed in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    This is actually worth knowing. Every state has a slightly different approach and it can get really expensive and inconvenient fast. Arizona police have Visa/MC option and you pay the fine on the spot if your from out of state. Most of the states now have a reciprocal agreement with Ontario so your hooliganing can follow you here for insurance purposes.
    This is incorrect, most do NOT have a reciprocal agreement for reporting traffic convictions. Most states have a reciprocal license suspension agreement only for non-payment of fines.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."