Road racer looking to get dirty.

Thread: Road racer looking to get dirty.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Road racer looking to get dirty.

Hope you're out having fun!
    I rode trails for a bit, and then when I THOUGHT I was fast I started to hit the mx tracks... A few years later and I'm still "slow". I can dust up pretty much all the guys I learned to ride with now, but my racer buddies usually give me a good challenge!

Don't worry about the height of the bike, I'm 5'7" and it doesn't bother me any more... Except the other day I went over the bars in a cambered corner at gopher dunes (easy to go over the bars in the deep sand in a corner if you blow a berm). kept the hand on the clutch to keep the bike running, but was on the right hand side of the bike and the camber was too much for me to get my leg over the bike so I had to push it to a flatter spot. Glad I wasn't in a race! Was actually having a good day, kept up to guys I used to have a hard time keeping pace with.

We should organize a group ride day at Gopher dunes so we can hit the track and trails. They will likely be open in to November if the weather stays this way... I shouldn't be riding more this year since I'm pretty sure I slightly tore my meniscus on the weekend, but I'll just finish this season up and hope I heal up in the couple weeks until sled season!

I would love to hit gopher dunes mx track...I'm off tomorrow, thinking about maybe hitting it up if it isn't too muddy.

Now I'm curious what I need to do to this bike to get it out onto a road course...

I've ridden in the woods with some fast track guys, scary to watch. Trees start to jump out infront of people....well somthing like that anyway. Just because they're fast on the track doesn't mean that can ride single track, goes both ways. Mabie you just wern't that fast in the woods I'm not very good on the track but I can pound the bush pretty good.
    Last edited by dricked; 10-13-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    Now I'm curious what I need to do to this bike to get it out onto a road course...
    17in wheels(16.5front if you wanna go fast) a decent front brake(braided line, big rotor).

That's a good start.

You'll need to do some suspension changes.

slow the rear rebound damping down as much as you can.

What reciprocity said. Check out the Canadian SM forums. Maybe come out for a race/practice next year?
    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forum...upermoto-Forum

BTW, I wouldn't take that 250 to a road course unless you want to blow it up in no time. Even my 450 with 14/40 gearing tops out at 160 at Cayuga and I feel like I'm killing it on those straights.

Look for a used 450 that has already been converted to SM if you want to save some money. You can find them dirt cheap from the US these days.
    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forum...y.php?72-Bikes
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Thanks for the links. I didn't necessarily mean a road course, but a supermoto track

Thanks for the links. I didn't necessarily mean a road course, but a supermoto track
    When you find one, let the rest of us know

ha.