Road racer looking to get dirty.

Thread: Road racer looking to get dirty.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Road racer looking to get dirty.

After my second season of road racing, I sold my 2011 race bike and I'm looking at getting a dirt bike and get some riding in this fall. A friend (non racer) is getting into it as well. I'm thinking of a 125 or 250 two stroke MX bike for myself, he's thinking about a 150 or 250 trail bike. Any tips or advice?

Re: Road racer looking to get dirty.

Need to know what kind of riding,your experience on dirt bikes,your height,2stroke or 4stroke?
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

Experience on dirt bikes...none. I around on my 2003 PW80 pit bike sometimes, that's it.

What kind of riding...I'm not really sure, probably a bit of everything. Another racer friend does hare scrambles, I wouldn't mind trying that out someday.

I'm 5'9" and have never been able to flat foot on any of my bikes.

If you are doing mixed you really cant beat the YZ250 2005 and up and just add a FWW,skid plate,bark busters and pipe guard.If you have any money left over get your suspension done to your weight and riding stile.If you do woods type riding go get yourself a purpose built euro bike like KTM,GasGas,Husky...they have kickstands and electrics to hook up lights or allready have lights.A woods bike also has a little more plush suspension and if you weigh 160-170lbs they might be perfect for you right out of the box.I have a KTM but the GasGas are sweet bikes if youre 5'8''-5'9'' But like I mentioned before you need to know what you are going to do more of MX or Offroad.
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

Well I bought an 04 KX250F. Damn this thing is tall. hoping to hit some trails monday!

Good choice. 2 stroke MX bikes can be discouraging in the singletrack for the inexperienced.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125